Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Seafoam in fuel tank then smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM

Unhappy Seafoam in fuel tank then smoke

I recently purchased a 2000 z28 after my insurance totaled out my 97z. It runs strong and healthy (Loving the ls1). I decided to give seafoam a try, figure it couldn't hurt. Filled up, drove home and parked it. Put a full can of seafoam in tank only. Started it up and noticed white smoke out the exhaust. Idle there was a bit but when i rev it, it increases noticeably. Without getting under the car, almost positive the previous owner deleted the cats (very loud for being stock). Now it was a cold, but not too cold of a morning so I get there may be little exhaust smoke. I've never read anyone (even googling) have smoke out the exhaust just from fuel tank. Should I be worried? Is having no cats the reason? I'd think the cats would catch some so having none I'm not sure... Little bit worried, hoping its just for the rest of the fuel in tank...

First post, but have been coming here for months as it has been very helpful
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM

Re: Seafoam in fuel tank then smoke

No problem its just the seafom doing what it does showing you. that's its working
Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Even if its a little cold outside it would blow cold smoke out the exhaust. At least thats what my dad told me when I asked him this same question.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Administrator

There are two main products produced by the combustion of hydrocarbons (gasoline) - carbon dioxide and water. The water is in the vapor state in the hot exhaust. As soon as the exhaust cools off, and/or hits cold air, the water vapor condenses, and becomes visible. It's not "smoke".

However, if you put enough Seafoam in the engine, the engine is going to produce smoke. You're burning an oil. Put it directly in the intake using a vacuum line, and you'l have a huge amount of smoke.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 AM

I wasn't implying its smoking like burning oil. Ive just called the water vapors cold smoke my entire life cause it only happens when its cold out. lol. I Seafoamed my car earlier this week and just sprayed it in through the TB. Wish I could find some CCC around this small town. It would have worked so much better.