Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

plz help fuel pump/sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Unhappy plz help fuel pump/sending unit

I have a 97 ss camaro has 49000 Miles on it and about 3 weeks ago i picked up this cute girl for a date in it and she had never been in a fast car befor so i did what any guy would do trying to impress a girl, ran the ape **** outta it. It was around 80°outside that night and it was starting to get warm like any car would im like ok lets just go for a nice cruze but then my car temp was still climbing at 240° im like ok lets park it let it cool off and just as i pulled in to a spot my low coolent light comes on. Cooled down after 20 min was bout 5 miles from my house. I can limp it home pulled out on the street started running rought then just killed it and wouldnt start again. Took it to gm the next day got an est of 2000$ to fix it befor we found out that the fuel pump was shot. Took it to a shop with lower labor rates. Things i replaced was water pump which took out my distrubuter , low coolent sencer and fuel pump and the fuel level sencer was f%%%ed up saying had half a tank when it was empty the shop sayed they fixed the leavel sencer but on return of the. Car Gauge Was pegged at e and stayed there now the shop says it the level sencer but the reason i didnt put it in when i did the fuel pump they said it was going to be another 500 $ but no one sells just the sending. Unit so what can i do buy a whole new fuel pump for another 400$ and remove the sending unit to have. Them instal it the shop said they would eat the labor cost anythoughts would be nice thanks guys..
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM

Re: plz help fuel pump/sending unit

Pics of girl you ruined your engine for

Look, your tank always has a lot less gas than what it shows at 1/2 - it's closer to 1/4 and at 1/4 it is almost empty, that's the way they are. But a new stock pump should still be OK unless you just plain run out (as long as the plastic bucket is installed around the pump). So anyway, new pumps are around $100 and you can buy a used sending unit if your level sensor is really shot, which I doubt. As an alternative, get someone that knows what they are doing to help you fix it, - get an ohm meter on the level sensor - and I see if it is OK or not.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

When they droped my tank they said it was empty reason for no fule pump and they said my arm was bent so coulnt ohm it but bent it back had good ohm readings on it theys y they put it back in so idk y its not working now??
The only way to get a new sending unit is to buy the whole pump assembly but i dont need the pump alredy put one in like im not sure what my opptions are here i think they are pulling my leg a little???
If i get my car back together and get some help from you guys here ill post some pix of her with my car

Thanks guy
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Administrator

You should be able to buy what GM calls the sending unit, which is the complete pump support assembly, wires, line connections, and level sensor. It would not include a new pump. I have one that a shop bought when we had to replace my fuel level sensor. The label on it indicates "Service Sender P/N 25160327".

Now this goes back to about the year 2000 when I had my engine built, and they damaged the level sensor (gauge was reading "full" at all times) when they had everything apart to add a sump to the tank for an outboard fuel pump. At that time it was true that you could not buy just the level sensor, you had to buy the part I listed. We drilled the rivets out that were holding the sensor on the bracket, and transferred it to my original stock support bracket, since it had already been modified for a Bosch pump, and braided S/S line.

I would check with a source like Dorman to see if they are making a replacement level sensor. I seem to remember someone mentioning that a few years ago, but not absolutely sure.

I'd also start looking in a junk yard for a sensor.