Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

No start after weird stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 PM

No start after weird stalling issue

1994 z28 with lt1. New delco fuel pump replaced in April. New Cardone Select Opti in March. New coil. New wires and Autolite platinum plugs.
Driving and car just shut off. Was able to restart a few hours later, but it ran a bit off time. Started next day and it stalled after 5 minutes. Wasn't able to start since. ICM tested bad at autozone. Bought one of theirs and replaced. Still no start. Have correct voltage at ICM and Opti. The white wire on ICM gets about 1-1.75 vac when you crank. Fuel pressure around steady 37psi. Bad Opti after only about 75-100 miles? I rarely drive the car.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Re: No start after weird stalling issue

Anything other than an AC Delco or Delphi Opti is susceptible to a very short life. Failure of the optical cam position sensor will set a code. Have you scanned it for codes? If you have AC volts on the white wire to the ICM you should have the correct pulse signal, but checking for codes is still a good idea.
Did you loc-tite the Opti rotor screws before you installed it? Loose screws, resulting in a loose rotor could explain your symptoms. Very common problem.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Didn't do the Loctite; was afraid I would void the warranty. Which it looks like I will need. With GaryDougs help I was able to pull the code. Looks like error 16. Does that sound in line with the car stalling without warning? And I assume that means this new opti needs to come out?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Administrator

DTC 16 means the low resolution cam position signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti is disappearing. When that code sets, the PCM disables the fuel system = engine stalls. The PCM needs the low resolution signal to time the spark and the sequential fuel injection.

If you clear the code how soon does it come back..... each time the engine stalls? Check both ends of the Opti harness for corroded or damaged connectors.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Code clears then returns after 3 or 4 cranks. Replaced opti harness with a new one and get the same thing. So looks like I'll replace the opti and get back to you guys. Great...
Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vince Bellomo
Code clears then returns after 3 or 4 cranks. Replaced opti harness with a new one and get the same thing. So looks like I'll replace the opti and get back to you guys. Great...
Replacing the opti did the trick. Hope this one isn't defective. Thanks for the assist.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Another "Cardone"?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM

With the Cardone, yes. I tried to get a refund but they only offered a replacement with an "if it happens again" offer to discuss a refund. I did struggle with just taking the loss but decided to give them another try.