Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

No start after opti install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:12 AM

No start after opti install

Hi everyone. Warmth is here and like everyone else pulled my z out. I parked it in a garage during winter after another opti went so I parked it pissed off lol. I since installed a new battery opti plugs wires etc.the rest of the car has newish parts less than 10 thousand miles. The car now only cranks doesn't start I checked over and over and did all the usual tests from fuel pressure to voltage on injectors.car is getting fuel and spark.opti is installed correctly and all wires and any associated with an opti swap.car ran great before opti crapped out.this is a Delphi opti brand new so I'm confident it's not it. Any help please thank you.btw it's a 96 z bolt ons speed
Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Re: No start after opti install

Did you scan it for codes - they don't all turn on the SES light?

How do you know you have fuel, beside pressure - did you verify injector pulsing with a 'noid light?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:14 PM

Fuel press.is 42 being primed. All plug wire where pulled off one by one while the car was cranking and had spark in the boot,also while it was cranking during another test my friend had a volt meter to each injector and verified they where getting voltage. I never had a problem like this even with all the opti jobs I did on my car and friends n family. Today I swapped coil and icm with my friend 96 caddy and still it just cranks no start. Still can't figure this out lol ???
Old 04-18-2015, 06:17 PM

Btw no codes came up.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Administrator

You always have 12V at the pink wire in the injector harness plugs. The PCM supplies a pulsed ground to fire the injector. That's what you need a noid light to detect.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:13 AM

Thumbs up Re: No start after opti install

My friend has one we used it before. Everything is testing good there shouldn't be a reason this car wont kick over,then again it's an lt1 lol thanks injuneer will post up any results
Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 AM

You replaced battery did by chance you arc it?

A fuse could have popped in either compartment that holds fuses..
Old 04-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Since you verified spark at all plugs, just for the heck of it, spray starting fluid into the throttle body.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:27 AM

Hi. Had an accident at work and badly bruised my left hand haven't been able to do much on the car.today i will see if I can rent or buy a noid light set and check my injectors I did this before when I found out my pump was going.i will post up again thanks again. Also I didnt hit the battery with ant metal surface
Old 04-25-2015, 01:33 PM

Hello everyone just double checked everything and retested all electrical based from sh box and all is with in spec. Just finished the noid test all injectors are firing,but based on some videos I seen the firing was rapid mine where sort of a flash pause flash pause on all injectors.btw the videos I seen where mainly 4 ans 6 cyl they had a rapid flash.does this mean anything. My impulses where exact on all
Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 AM

A.m just checked again all connections electrical swapped a few parts icm coil.still nothing it just cranks and cranks I have run out of ideas except shooting this car lol jk. Any ideas I would appreciate this has me stumped ba.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Did you loc-tite the rotor screws before you installed the Opti? What brand is it?

If you have spark (even intermittent) and fuel, there should be at least an intermittent "pop" every once in a while.

Did you try spraying starting fluid?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Hi injuneer. Yes screws are Loctite and opti is silconed I always do this on any opti change.the opti is a Delphi from rock auto,I bought it during winter with plugs n wires. When I first tried to start it after wire n plugs and opti it would pop a bit but now it's just a regular cranking no signs of combustion. I shoulda mentioned in my first post every opti I did either a road master to corvettes I always leave the pump radiator basically all thats connected is opti,coil icm and air tube with maf and iat connected. I do this to make sure all is connected and good than run the car for no more than 2minutes.this is how my car is now,half way back together but all there to make it run for a couple min. Haven't tried starter fluid i'll see who has or if I do. Thanks injuneer.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM

After you try starting fluid, and if it still doesn't work, then I would have to suggest this... triple check that the opti is installed correctly. If the pin from the camshaft isn't completely inserted, the opti will not seat correctly. You said you've done this a few times before, so it shouldn't be anything new. but I know from experience that it can appear to be in correctly but still have a small gap between the opti and the timing cover. This will cause the timing to be off enough to not fire at all (maybe a pop once in a while but no ignition). Sounds to me like everything else is working, and you will still get spark at the plugs is its not set correctly. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:33 AM

A.m did use starter fluid it actually did fire up for a sec than back to cranking also double checked opti all good.real pia this problem is. Sunday I'll be at it all day, also I have a spare opti that is good and see if the new one is the problem,it better not be its a new delphi

Quick Reply: No start after opti install