Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

New Racetronix install now will not run

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 PM

New Racetronix install now will not run

I just installed the Racetronix Walbro pump kit and when I went to start the car it sputtered and would not stay running. When I tried to give it gas it actually would stumble but recover when I let off gas but then die. Would not stay running. I jumpered the prime connection and the pump runs. I installed a fp guage to schrader valve and the guage was bad but it appeared to have pressure (bleed-off button on guage was stuck and fuel primered through bleed-off line). Fuel came out schrader valve when hooking up guage. Car ran before pump install just would loose pressure in upper rpms and wouldn't hold pressure. Is pump bad or where do I need to look?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:50 AM

Re: New Racetronix install now will not run

I actually just installed one of these Racetronix kits on my car two weeks ago; Did you purchase the optional wiring kit? I'd start with checking for proper grounding then verifying voltage to the pump. Possibly when you had to put the prongs in the connector they did not snap in properly and are causing a poor connection.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Maybe try to find a working gauge to use.

It sounds like the install made things worse - Sometimes after people install the pumps the hose comes off inside the tank. Also the fuel filter in case you didn't replace that.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM

fuel filter is new. When I put a volt meter on the fuel prime connector and ground, I don't get 12v for 2 seconds for priming when I turn the key on. When relay clicks after priming I get a 2-4 volt flash. Could it be relay and did I test it correctly?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 AM

It's probably that your meter's digital display is too slow to show the full voltage because it is trying to update to a changing voltage level (0-12-0)- normal for a DMM. If you hear it buzzing when you turn the key on, it is probably getting power back at the pump.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 AM

When I first started the car it would stumble and try to run but then die. If I tried to give it gas it would actually act like it wasn't getting fuel and try to die and when I let off the gas it would respond like I was giving it gas. Trying to explain that it would do what I was inputing (gas pedal) but only after I let off pedal.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 AM

I do have the hotwire kit from Racetronix to install but I was going to install pump and make sure it ran then install the wire kit. Wanted to isolate any potential problems.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM

New relay & new pump pressure is 8psi @ prime with primer jumper connected. With key turn it goes to 8psi then drops. Could this pump be bad out of the box or is there something else?
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM

pulled out fuel pump module and tested voltage. Getting 12v to pump with fuel primer connected. Anybody got any insight as to what I need to look for? Do you think that my pump is bad?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:32 PM

You pulled it out of the tank and the hoses are all tight??

8 psi isn't enough - you need 40 psi or so. If it is getting good power, then it either isn't pumping, or it is pumping and returning to the tank and not building pressure, or leaking out. The pump check valve can cause this once it turns off or the regulator can do this when it is running. Or the injectors are all leaking it all out into the engine. There isn't that many things that it can be.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:46 PM

I pulled it out and checked voltage and inspected new hose. Didn't see anything obvious with other hose. If it were you what would you do next? Pull fuel rail and check injectors for leak down? Replace fp regulator? How will I know if fuel is being returned causing low pressure?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 PM

I don't really think it's your injectors all of a sudden, but yeah, you could try that. You could make sure the regulator diaphragm isn't busted, but I don't really suspect that, either. If you could block off the return line with the pump activated and a gauge on it, that will tell you if it can make pressure or not. If it won't hold pressure when its on, it could be the regulator or anything in between the pump and the regulator, and if it won't hold it when it is off, then it could also be the pump check valve. Maybe some debris got in the line and something is hanging open - but it still should make pressure when its running.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 PM

I appreciate you sticking with me on this. I am inclined to put my old pump back in just to see if the car will run. If it does then I will have isolated the pump as the source. I don't have fuel on vacuum side of regulator and with my luck I don't want to pinch the return line closed as I will probably break it.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM

I need to get under the car and find a rubber hose line for the fuel return to pinch it closed. If the pressure builds and holds then the problem is the regulator. Correct? Off hand do you know where I can do this? I am at work today but shouldn't there be a place under the car or in the engine bay where I can do this?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM

I don' think there is a rubber hose to it, and that is why I suggested finding a way to block it off at one of the connections, because I was also thinking that pinching it could crack it, even though I believe the manual says to use that method. But maybe you could remove return hose from the regulator and put a (good quality, high pressure) rubber hose on there and block it off. I suppose you could replace the pump with your old one if you didn't glue into into the bucket.

Quick Reply: New Racetronix install now will not run