Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel and spark.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 02:07 PM

Fuel and spark.

Two weeks ago, driving my 1995 Z28 (automatic) home from work suddenly became an emergency as my engine developed severe stumbling at 70 mph on the freeway fast lane.Quickly limping over two lanes to the right, and expecting to be stranded, the engine caught on again well enough to get home. But, it would not restart anymore. I could not hear the fuel pump prime, and I tested this many times before I went and bought a pump assembly. I installed the pump over the top using a step drill to cut four holes in the trunk. Finding my old tin snips, in about ten minutes, I had an easy rectangle cut. The car has 140,000 miles now, and I reasoned the pump was due soon. But I was wrong, because the engine just wheezed as I tried starting it. I do feel pretty good about switching out a pump in under two hours, and knowing that it will not be a future problem for years to come. Then, I felt stupid for having thrown out my stock coil last month, having kept it four years since installing a new msd red coil. I went and bought an imported $25 stock replacement coil as a test, and dang it, the engine was trying this time, and it did burn all that extra fuel and now runs great. In hindsight, while running a/c, the engine stalled several times at idle this past summer, something it hasn't done before.The red coil had about 30k miles on it. Now I feel a little bad about running such a cheap coil, but maybe it's better than I think? Also in hindsight, I should have had someone turn on the ignition as I put my ear over the tank. I learned about the pump elec test port after I cut the hole, but would have been best to know sooner too! Also, I didn't screw on a panel, I used that extra expensive all metal super sticky duct tape, which was on hand. Watching u-tube fuel pump videos showed me what not to do, like screwing in a panel with twenty or more 3/4" long screws!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Re: Fuel and spark.

I save my old parts now.Didn't before and kicked myself.Did try an Accel coil years ago and it blew up on me on the freeway 10 minutes after I installed it.I would stay GM.My02.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:21 AM

Ok, car has been driving well for nearly two weeks, until three days ago! After I got home from an errand, the next time I tried to go somewhere nearly the same no run symptoms were there. The car would run a couple of seconds, then quit. Or, after key-on pump priming a few times, it would start briskly, then falter, unless I stabbed the throttle, then it would pick up a few rpm's, and run a few more seconds. Since then, I replaced the filter and the FPR, but to no avail. It is a fuel issue, because cycling the key gets a quick start, but for under eight seconds, and falling off as it goes. Also, pushing in the schrader valve releases no fuel! When I changed the filter, loads of fuel came out both ends. I don't think my new stock pump is bad, and I am thinking my old pump might not have been bad either, but I am stumped!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Administrator

You need to test the fuel pressure.

Could be a hole in the flex line for the pump, inside the tank. Just had a similar case, and the flex line to the new fuel pump actually fell off in the tank, causing 0 fuel flow.