Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

fuel rail mods.... needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 PM

fuel rail mods.... needed?

hey guys i was wondering at what point it is nessisary to start modifying your fuel rails with fittings and things like that. i am going to be running about 650rwhp no more then 700 i can see 650 being a good estimate. would a racetronic dual intake do the trick for me or is there other modifications needed.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:03 AM

I believe 600-700HP is the limit on the stock lines. Getting the rails modified with -AN fittings is pretty cheap. I had mine cut and welded for $30.00.

-B
Old 11-17-2006, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by racer96
hey guys i was wondering at what point it is nessisary to start modifying your fuel rails with fittings and things like that. i am going to be running about 650rwhp no more then 700 i can see 650 being a good estimate. would a racetronic dual intake do the trick for me or is there other modifications needed.
There are guys out there making 1000 Hp forced induction on stock lines and rails with dual walbro. 3/8 in lines at 40psi will move alot of fuel.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:06 PM

i have been searching alot on this topic. is it possible to use the stock fuel lines and weld the -an fittins on to the intake to get the fuel to go to both fuel rails at the same time and still be able to hook the stock fuel lines in the same spot they would before using the same pieces? or do u have to run braided lines all the back tot he tank and back.
thanks guys
Old 11-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

The plastic lines run from steel lines under the quarter panel, near the front of the driver's side door. You can replace the plastic by using some Earls compression fittings on the hard lines, allowing -AN hoses to be connected to the fittings. Use the same connectors on the hard lines near the fuel rails.
weld the -an fittins on to the intake to get the fuel to go to both fuel rails at the same time and still be able to hook the stock fuel lines in the same spot they would before using the same pieces?
Not clear what you mean, but if you want to supply fuel to both rails, rather than going in the back of the passenger rail, and out the back of the driver's side rail, you need to modify the rails to provide for a return line. I run a -6AN line into the back of each rail, and take the return off a fitting welded to the diagonal cross-over pipe at the front. That's probably good for up to 1,000 flywheelHP (you have to design the fuel system based on flywheel HP, not rwHP). Above that level, you would need a return line connection on the front of each rail, routed back to the dual connections on ahigh flow AFPR.

I'm not sure how you could accomplish any of this and keep the fuel lines in the stock locations. It really cleans up the engine compartment to run them directly up to the back of the engine, rather than routing them through the driver's side inner fender.

Fitting on return line, with tap on rail for fuel pressure sensor:
http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP04272a.jpg

Dual lines into the back of the rails, AFPR under the cowl:
http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP04227a.jpg

Fuel lines routed from the rear of the engine:
http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP04257a.jpg
Old 11-18-2006, 02:37 PM

i think i got this down no, (first fuel mods i have ever done might soiund stupid haha). weld 6an conectors to the end of each rail, connect the hoses, then use a Y connector (2 to 1) and connect the hose going into the fuel lines intot he existing fuel lines under the front quarter panel. weld in a 6an fitting into the cross line at the front of the intake and run it into the fuel pressure regulator. Now the return line that comes out the other side of the regulator does that line have to go all the way back to the fuel tank or can i connect it to the original return line under the passengers fender? thanks guys correct me if i am wrong
Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM

Mine made a bit >700rwhp with stock lines, regulator, and rails.

Rich