Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel pump replacement issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Fuel pump replacement issue...

Pump died on my 95 decided to buy the racetronix pump kit. got the hole cute pump removed and everything set up minus getting the pump to fit right in the bucket, seems like the pump hole doesnt line up with the bucket hole for some reason?

Also the new plug that came with the pump doesnt have the purple wire wich i assume is the connection to fuel level indicator. so i pulled it out of the old plug and put it in the new connector.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Re: Fuel pump replacement issue...

just noticed the pump is centered and the hole is to one side.... thought this was a direct replacement.
Can i install withought the bucket? i know the bucket helps with cornering and low fuel while driving but what do i do???????
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM

ok so i got the bucket to work and fit waiting for the glue to dry then install and see if this solves my problem.

Still not sure about the purple wire hopefully how i snugged it in the new plug and put in the grey connector that it holds it like its supposed to. So i think im good for now will update in a few hours to tell you if it solved my problem.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Did you shave down the ribs in the bucket? The instructions mention that you may have to do that to allow it to sit correctly.

I got my racetronix system about a week ago. I'll be installing it in a month or so.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 PM

I didn't have to shave them i angled it a hair and sat it in there. There were no directions with my kit just a packing order, kinda pissed there was no directions or any info, they send you super glue and dielectric compound and don't give a clue what to do with either. Didn't know super glue was able to sit in gasoline and be ok?????? still question it. well its drying now was thinking of using some jb weld but if ever had to change again would be hard to get bucket open. we'll see wha happens i guess, just waiting for the glue to dry and see if i trust it.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fue...issues-675158/
Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM

So then the purple wire that is originally on the stock pump bracket does not need to be used then?. i installed everything now i am getting no power to the pump.I did the relay test hot is working but no signal from the pcm to relay. i confirmed the pump works by jumping the pump wire on the harness near the pcm. I'm wondering if that was my problem all along... maybe i lost power to the old one. i dont know this car is just frustrating me like crazy. Also in other post i mentioned when i had the pcm scanned it read error at numerous shops. think my comp. might be the whole issue.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Administrator

The purple wire is for the level sensor. The sensor is a variable resistance, measured between the black ground wire and the purple wire. I can't see how the fuel level gauge will work without the purple wire connected to the level sensor.

The gray wire supplies the +12V to the pump, and the black ground is common to the pump and the sensor, at least with the stock assembly. The stock sending unit has the gray wire and the black wire connected to a 2-pin plastic connector that attached to the pump. Then purple wire has a female spade lug on it that attaches to a make lug on the sensor. The black wire to the pump connector has a female spade lug in the middle of the wire that attaches to the other lug on the sensor.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...s/IMG_0509.JPG
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM

your exactly right injuneer problem is when i recieved the new pump it came with a new plug therefore only supplying gray and black wire unlike all three that went into top like stock so i pulled the purple out of the top connector then relocated it in the new connector.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Most shops see the 16 pin ALDL connector, hook up an OBD-2 scanner, and it can't read the 95's OBD-1 PCM. Is that possibly what happened?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Its definately a possibility with the going to autozone and all but one shop i brought it to works on my buddies 95 formula and has been for 10 yrs hes owned it. i did recently buy the aldl cable for obd-1 and well the datamaster cant read it either. keeps saying failed connection . Like i've stated in recent posts i am having a major electrical issue as well brand new battery reads 10v on dash. I like doing most of the work myself to get knowledge of the car but i think its time to let someone else play with it because i am stumped after the motor rebuild.