Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel Pressure Regulator.....Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator.....Bad?

Ok good. I'm going to try and check the injectors and the lines in the tank today and see what I find.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Checked the injectors and I didn't see any leaking. I also took a look at the fuel pump lines in the tank and all were ok. I going tonight to pick up another FPR because the one I have now is less than 2 weeks old.Maybe I just got a bad FPR. If not,I'm just going to take it to my mechanic and let him deal with it.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM

hmm, odd. The only 4 things that'd cause the pressure to drop immediately are, leaking fpr, leaking injectors, leaking feed line and the check valve. As long as the gauge is working properly.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Feenix
hmm, odd. The only 4 things that'd cause the pressure to drop immediately are, leaking fpr, leaking injectors, leaking feed line and the check valve. As long as the gauge is working properly.
I have two gauges and both show the same thing. The pump is under warranty,so if its the culprit,then great. We will see after I relaxed the regulator later today.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Just put another FPR on and it's still dropping pressure. When I do get it to start,here's the numbers...

1. Pump prime> 40 psi (either by key or jumper)
2. Idle> 32 psi
3. Rev the car> 40 psi

I'm not sure if there is a way to check to see if the check valve on the pump is bad or not.Are they?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:34 PM

Honestly, if you've tested 2 different gauges, with same results, and you know the fpr and injectors aren't leaking. No leaks at the feed line for sure, all that it could be is the check valve. Nothing else would cause the pressure loss when the engine gets shut off. I know you can test other pumps check valves by taking it out and blowing air through it to see if it blows out the other end, which if it does its bad.

I've never tried to test one on the lt1. I've just replaced the pump if everything else checked out and all that was left was the check valve.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Feenix
Honestly, if you've tested 2 different gauges, with same results, and you know the fpr and injectors aren't leaking. No leaks at the feed line for sure, all that it could be is the check valve. Nothing else would cause the pressure loss when the engine gets shut off. I know you can test other pumps check valves by taking it out and blowing air through it to see if it blows out the other end, which if it does its bad.

I've never tried to test one on the lt1. I've just replaced the pump if everything else checked out and all that was left was the check valve.
Just talked to the guy about the pump and he's sending me another one.Will probably be mid next week before it gets here though.Oh,well. It's been this long, what's another week. Just that the pump is less than a month old.I guess it happens.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
Just talked to the guy about the pump and he's sending me another one.Will probably be mid next week before it gets here though.Oh,well. It's been this long, what's another week.

Ahh good deal. Good luck with the next one then.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Got an email that a replacement pump was sent out Friday and he said I should have it on Monday. I was expecting to have to send the old one back first. Anyways,all the problems with the fuel pressure,got me thinking about getting a gauge pod and putting a fuel pressure gauge in it to keeps an eye on it.Would keep from having to keep connecting my fuel pressure gauge to the valve. I was looking at these,unless someone has better alternatives.Seems like they have all the necessary wiring,sender,etc.
Gauge 1
Gauge 2

Then I would just need a single gauge pillar pod.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Why not buy a quality product, like one from AutoMeter? Who knows which third world country "Glow Shift" buys their stuff from? Mine's been going strong for 11 years.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...r/DCP02679.jpg
Old 09-18-2011, 04:34 PM

I checked into Autometer also.They look good. Does the sender get the info from the schrader valve or some sort of t-fitting?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM

Installed the new pump today and the pressure doesn't drop drastically like before,it's still dropping though. I am getting around 34-36psi and 40 psi at WOT. It's a gradual drop down to around 18-20 psi after 20 minutes. I still don't think it's right? Could I just have missed a leaky injector when I checked? Car is running strong and is firing right up for now.Just wondering what's in store for tomorrow morning.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Went back to make sure the injectors were not leaking and they are not.I put paper underneath all of them to be sure,paper was dry. I decided to turn the fuel rail screws another turn just to make sure the seals are seated. I start the car and the pressure is reading 42psi.Maybe the seals were not sealing all the way until I turned them another turn.It was holding at 38psi with the engine off and I'm going to check it again in about 30-45mins to see where it's at.I'll feel stupid if that's what it is,but I sure will be glad at the same time.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM

15-20 psi in 30 mins.Good or not?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
15-20 psi in 30 mins.Good or not?
That is O.K. Sounds like you found the problem.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator.....Bad?