Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel Pressure drops to Zero, Pump Primes, New Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Fuel Pressure drops to Zero, Pump Primes, New Regulator

I have a 98 Trans Am with LS1. I have replaced the fuel pump about 3 times and just recently replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The replacement pump was working fine and got it on the highway and it started to stumble and sputter. you can hear the fuel pump primping away. Hooked a Pressure gauge up to the fuel and at when priming the pump i get 20 psi then when pump stops priming the pressure goes to Zero. I will only start if i jump the relay so the Pump is constantly running and even when it starts it will immediately die or you have to hold the throttle. Even while running the pressure is only 20psi. i am going to check the hoses on the pump to see if anything happened. The Fuel pressure regulator has been replaced and saw some improvement but not much. Any suggestions, i hate changing out the fuel pumps.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:57 AM

Wouldn't the second pump have caused the light bulb to light?

Originally Posted by b0horman
I have replaced the fuel pump about 3 times and just recently replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Even while running the pressure is only 20psi.

Any suggestions, i hate changing out the fuel pumps.
Unless you are using the crap fuel pumps from either Advance or AZ, there must be a condition that is causing the pump to go bad!!!!!

You aren't using either cheap *** pump are you?????

Check the fuel line from end to end by blowing through it with both ends disconnected. Check near the filter for kinks.

Use a GM pump if your aren't already.