Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Car dies off throttle .....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 PM

Car dies off throttle .....

Looked in over 4 pages of threads, but have not seen this specific issue. A week ago on the drive home, I was coming up on traffic and let the car pull itself down in 4th or 5th with my foot off the throttle. After lugging for a few seconds, it died like the key had been shut off. No chugging or intermittent cutting out of any kind. Just a "power off" type feel. I rolled to the side of the road. It did not want to start readily. Would crank but not take off. After about 5 minutes of trying with longer breaks between efforts, it fired right up and I went home.
Drove it Wednesday 50 miles to the drag strip, made 7 runs, drove it home, no issues. Today I take it to the car wash, including the engine bay. It does not want to start at first, but figured I got a few things wet. After 2 minutes, starts and I leave. Almost home, again I let the engine lug in 4th to slow myself. It dies again like it was turned off. I roll to the side of the road, but then decide to drop it in 3rd and let out the clutch like I was clutch starting it. Came back to life and I made it home.
No ideas at this point. Seems very random, but I lean towards an electrical issue. Appreciate any thoughts or anecdotal accounts that might help.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Re: Car dies off throttle .....

First step would be to scan it for codes. Might turn up a problem caused by an intermittent ground, or heat soaking of a component. Have you considered the possibility of a problem with the ignition switch? Or maybe the IAC motor isn't opening up and the sudden closing of the throttle blades is causing it to stall due to lack of air. Lack of flow through the IAC would also make is harder to start. Try cracking the throttle as you try to start it.

Finally, just for the heck of it, monitor the fuel pressure.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 AM

Will look into those. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Your 93 is easy to scan for codes:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/dlc2.jpg

Then look up codes (93 differences are noted in the right hand column)

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm