Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Battery Shorted out now wont run

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:37 PM

Battery Shorted out now wont run

Hi Everyone,

I would like your advice, ideas and suggestions. I have a 68 Camaro/350 engine. A new battery was installed terminal sideways shorted against my radiator and trans. cooler line. It disabled the car (everything shut off and I was towed home.) Since then, I am trying to figure out how to get it running again. I have charged the battery and the car actually started up but will not keep running. It is idling so low it dies. I was able to drive it in the drive way keeping my foot on the gas. I am trying to figure out if the alternator (internal regulator) was damaged. Perhaps coil? I also have an Excel Bypass/No points in my distributor and if this perhaps was damaged. I don't know what would cause this sudden running condition where it won't stay running. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you very very much,

Wendy
Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: Battery Shorted out now wont run

Does the car have the stock starter solenoid and coil wiring? If so, check the battery voltage terminal at the coil while cranking and while running. Should be 10-12v cranking and maybe about 8 volts or more while running. If not, there could be a problem with the wiring to the ignition switch. The solenoid connects the 12v power directly to the coil when starting, then removes that power and the coil gets power from the ignition switch only when running.

You should be able to test this by temporarily connecting battery voltage directly to the coil positive terminal. If it keeps running, the wiring or switch is suspect.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 10-01-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Re: Battery Shorted out now wont run

Dear GaryDoug,

Thank you very much, this weekend I will follow these procedures!!! I appreciate your help.

Best,

Wendy