Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Access door to change fuel pump - 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Re: Access door to change fuel pump - 4th Gen

I'll have to look and see if I have three hoses or two where I removed the EVAP canister. It was so long ago, I can't remember.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:42 PM

On my '95Z the third line from the pump/sender is the vent line. I never took this line loose from the pump so I'm sure of that. The vent mounts in a holder on the body on my 95Z 'vert.

The vent is no longer available from GM.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Administrator

He had to work with the parts diagrams available to him. One detail omitted the vent line, showing only the fuel supply, fuel return, and line to the canister. He recognized that there was something missing, hence the detail for the vent connection, which shows all 4 connections.

No one is saying there is no "4th" connection on the sending unit. To alleviate any confusion, I said I would take a picture of the sending unit, and label the four connections. The pic I took wasn't very good, and the editing tools available here at work are limited (Paint) so I figured I would take a better picture, and alter it at home using Photoshop.

Since there still seems to be some confusion in your mind as to the accuracy of the information we have provided, here is the "temporary" photo to ease your mind. I'll replace it with the upgraded photo when I have time to make it.

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-25-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

I think he is confusing the discussion involving the brown line from the canister vent and the purple line to the fuel tank vent.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:44 AM

Nope, not confused. Just asking so future viewers will know exactly what is right. The information you two have provided is very good and will be helpful in the future.

GaryDoug, thanks for the colored diagram. I appreciate you taking time to produce that.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.GearheadZ28
I cut one on my vert but I don't know if the coupe and convertable are the same, if so I'll measure and possibly take pics.
Could you possibly send me a pic of the one you cut, you are the first person I know of to do it in a convertible.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Triple0vert
Could you possibly send me a pic of the one you cut, you are the first person I know of to do it in a convertible.
"Mr.GearheadZ28" has not signed in to the site for more than 2 years.

"squarenead" posted four photos of a convertible cutout in post # 122, above..

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-08-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Ok, so I was at a car show last night and my fuel pump took a dive south I had previously did the trap door mod and bought a Delphi pump from AZ it went in in like 20 minutes started the car and all was fine, when I left the show I gassed up and was on my way when suddenly the car just stopped and the Auto Meter fuel pressure gauge is pegged at zero, no fuel pressure when I turn the key you can here the pump when the key is turned to on. Any ideas why the car won't start? If it is the pump I don't have the original box it came in because I threw it out. All fuses and relays are good. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Mmm... That's mysterious, alright. Primes but no pressure. If you key on, key off say 3 times and crank it, does it start and run for a few seconds, then falter and die? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can put on the Schrader valve to see if it's building any pressure whatsoever? What Delphi pump did you use? Do you have a part number?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Flex hose for the pump in the tank may have come loose, or sprung a leak.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:49 AM

Ah.. true. Could be something as simple as the hose from the pump to the tank plumbing came off under pressure or cracked/split.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:00 PM

Fred was right, pulled the pump and the hi pressure line that's supposed to be held on by a locking clip system completely came off under pressure, I returned the defective pump for a new one and I'm good to go so far. Thanks for your reply's, you guy's rock!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:08 PM

After much agonizing, I finally measured and cut the fuel pump trap door. The metal was surprisingly easy to cut, using some Harbor Freight electric shears. I bought the 10ga wire, butt connectors, relays, weatherpacked fuse relays and created the harness. Gotta say, by the time one hunts down all the bits and pieces and cobbles them together, the Racetronix's ready to go harness at $45 seems like the better option.

I have two pumps, a 340lph (main pump) and a 255 Walbro that will kick it at 7psi and above using a World Magnetics Hobbs switch.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
I have a true 30th SS edition and I did the hole to. There's no problems with it at all. No fumes. I guess it all depends on the person. Personally I did not have what was needed to drop a tank all by myself and I had no intentions on paying for it. In the end it worked out for me bc I had the feed line come off the pump and was able to do the fix In a parking lot. I wouldnt call it a hack people put in "trap doors" on cars all the time. Hell there are plenty cars that come factory with pump access panels. Just bc a car comes without it doesn't mean it's a hack to make your own. Also outof sight out of mind. Not like your cutting a hole in the hood of the car for everyone to see

My thinking was a lot like yours when I bought my car. I wanted to do everything right. Keep it completely stock to retain value. Then I realized I have no plans on ever selling the car. Then the modification bug hit me and went from there.
I have to agree with you. In my case, I paid the dealer $800.00 about 10 or so years ago do replace the pump. I'm retired now and can't afford to do this. I plan to do the trap door maybe next week or so. My car, a 97 Z28 convertible I ordered and never plan on selling never sees the winter other than if I am working on something then it gets pulled out of the garage for just a short time. Never driven in winter at all. My car has had a Borla cat back system and K&N cold air kit installed. Other than that it is completely stock. I feel the trap door will be great. I can get a carter complete fuel pump assembly complete so I don't have to take the pump apart and use the same bucket or whatever the plastic housing is called from Rock Auto for about $150.00. Only real problem I see is getting the fuel lines unhooked.
Butch.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ButchM
I have to agree with you. In my case, I paid the dealer $800.00 about 10 or so years ago do replace the pump. I'm retired now and can't afford to do this. I plan to do the trap door maybe next week or so. My car, a 97 Z28 convertible I ordered and never plan on selling never sees the winter other than if I am working on something then it gets pulled out of the garage for just a short time. Never driven in winter at all. My car has had a Borla cat back system and K&N cold air kit installed. Other than that it is completely stock. I feel the trap door will be great. I can get a carter complete fuel pump assembly complete so I don't have to take the pump apart and use the same bucket or whatever the plastic housing is called from Rock Auto for about $150.00. Only real problem I see is getting the fuel lines unhooked.
Butch.
getting the lines off isn't hard at all. You just need to cut the upper left hand corner and bend it out the way.
then I just used a flat head to get the lines off. Bent it back and put a cover on it

Quick Reply: Access door to change fuel pump - 4th Gen