Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Access door to change fuel pump - 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:17 AM

Re: Access door to change fuel pump - 4th Gen

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
getting the lines off isn't hard at all. You just need to cut the upper left hand corner and bend it out the way.
then I just used a flat head to get the lines off. Bent it back and put a cover on it
Thanks for that bit of info. Every little bit helps. Like I said in one of my posts, I can work on the older vehicles all day and not have a problem. Shoot, my wife and I changed the fuel tank, pump assembly and lines on my 92 Silverado. We also replaced the bed on that truck but when it comes to this Camaro, I am lost. I replaced the water pump about 5 years ago by myself and it still took me 3 days. That was with the help of all the online info. This trap door deal seems like a dream. I have a cut off wheel, an angle grinder that I have used carbide cutting wheels on and a set of air nibblers. I should be able to cut the door in a very short amount of time although I will take my time. You guys who answer these questions with help are a God send.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ButchM
Thanks for that bit of info. Every little bit helps. Like I said in one of my posts, I can work on the older vehicles all day and not have a problem. Shoot, my wife and I changed the fuel tank, pump assembly and lines on my 92 Silverado. We also replaced the bed on that truck but when it comes to this Camaro, I am lost. I replaced the water pump about 5 years ago by myself and it still took me 3 days. That was with the help of all the online info. This trap door deal seems like a dream. I have a cut off wheel, an angle grinder that I have used carbide cutting wheels on and a set of air nibblers. I should be able to cut the door in a very short amount of time although I will take my time. You guys who answer these questions with help are a God send.
No problem. These lt1s aren't so bad once you get to know them.
if your interested and have facebook look up lt1nation!! (Yes with two!!). If you need any info about lt1 cars or fbody in general that would be my choice. I frequent it often and have learned a bunch.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:32 AM

No problem. These lt1s aren't so bad once you get to know them.
if your interested and have facebook look up lt1nation!! (Yes with two!!). If you need any info about lt1 cars or fbody in general that would be my choice. I frequent it often and have learned a bunch.
I will do that. I am the original owner of the car. I ordered it on June 26th of 1996 when I worked for AC Spark Plug/Delphi in Flint. I was a UAW rep then so when the car came in on August 10th 1996 (dealer said 4 to 10 months for convertible because whey tried to build convertibles in batches) the UAW reps for the instrument cluster had to check it out because the digital odometers were having problems and mine has an analog odometer. They were surprised. and said it is definitely a very early production. My brother and I did the K&N cold air kit and I had the garage up town put the Borla cat back on. I didn't want the original exhaust cut up and it is much easier to take off with a hoist than on your back. I am still hoping to change the spark plugs myself this year at one point. The garage up town did it for me and charged me $80.00 labor. I got the plugs and an extra set in my tool box. She is my baby but Sunday I was really upset. I was ready to sell her right then.
Butch
Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 AM

I will do that. I am the original owner of the car. I ordered it on June 26th of 1996 when I worked for AC Spark Plug/Delphi in Flint. I was a UAW rep then so when the car came in on August 10th 1996 (dealer said 4 to 10 months for convertible because whey tried to build convertibles in batches) the UAW reps for the instrument cluster had to check it out because the digital odometers were having problems and mine has an analog odometer. They were surprised. and said it is definitely a very early production. My brother and I did the K&N cold air kit and I had the garage up town put the Borla cat back on. I didn't want the original exhaust cut up and it is much easier to take off with a hoist than on your back. I am still hoping to change the spark plugs myself this year at one point. The garage up town did it for me and charged me $80.00 labor. I got the plugs and an extra set in my tool box. She is my baby but Sunday I was really upset. I was ready to sell her right then.
Butch
wow your 97 has analog odo. Thats cool. 97 was the first year they went digital as in the ls1 interiors. That's cool tho. Makes it more rare.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM

wow your 97 has analog odo. Thats cool. 97 was the first year they went digital as in the ls1 interiors. That's cool tho. Makes it more rare.
Yup, analog. I know 97 was the year 4th gen changed the dash and the tail lights to 3 color for the US. The dealer we use now wants this car for some reason badly. I started taking it to them when it had 3500 miles and had a bunch of oil leaks. He wanted to trade me a 2000 SS convertible even up for my 97. I wouldn't do it. I have no idea why he would want it that bad. He asked me about the car a month ago when I had my wife's 05 Silverado up there for a piece that broke in the door lock.
Butch
Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Since you have a convertible, there is a slight difference in the deck above the tank. Check post #122 in this thread for a series if pictures of the convertible deck.

You should add a "signature" to make sure people trying to help know you have a convertible.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Old 03-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Since you have a convertible, there is a slight difference in the deck above the tank. Check post #122 in this thread for a series if pictures of the convertible deck.

You should add a "signature" to make sure people trying to help know you have a convertible.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
I saw that post. Only one of his pics show up which is just the trap door replaced. I also found a video on You Tube that a buy has a convertible and did this.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Administrator

I saw that post. Only one of his pics show up which is just the trap door replaced. I also found a video on You Tube that a buy has a convertible and did this.
There are six pictures showing several steps. When the picture opens, there are labels beneath the picture to move to "previous picture" and "next picture". There's even a pic of the air chisel he used.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:15 PM

There are six pictures showing several steps. When the picture opens, there are labels beneath the picture to move to "previous picture" and "next picture". There's even a pic of the air chisel he used.
I see there are supposed to be 6 pictures but there is only one that has a clickable link. The others are an empty square than can't be clicked on.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Please read this carefully.

Yes, there is only one link in post #122 that works. CLICK ON THAT LINK. Ignore the other boxes. When the picture of the hatch cover appears, LOOK BELOW THE PHOTO, in the space BETWEEN the rectangle that forms the photo panel, and the rectangle that defines the "Post Comment" space. In that space between the rectangles are RED labels indicating:

"Last Picture | Next Picture >>"

Clicking on those words moves the photo left or right to reveal the other five photos, one at a time.

I tried this with Chrome, Safari on an iPad, and even a poor old AOL browser, and they all work. If you are using a phone browser, no telling whether it will work of not.

Here's the link, so you don't even have to go back to post #122 and figure it out.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/mem...=gnr-img-album
Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Please read this carefully.

Yes, there is only one link in post #122 that works. CLICK ON THAT LINK. Ignore the other boxes. When the picture of the hatch cover appears, LOOK BELOW THE PHOTO, in the space BETWEEN the rectangle that forms the photo panel, and the rectangle that defines the "Post Comment" space. In that space between the rectangles are RED labels indicating:

"Last Picture | Next Picture >>"

Clicking on those words moves the photo left or right to reveal the other five photos, one at a time.

I tried this with Chrome, Safari on an iPad, and even a poor old AOL browser, and they all work. If you are using a phone browser, no telling whether it will work of not.

Here's the link, so you don't even have to go back to post #122 and figure it out.

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board - squarehead's Album: Fuel pump trap door pics for 95 convertible - Picture
Got it. Thanks. Sometimes I let all this stress mess up my thinking. My Camaro I can fix with all the help from you guys. My wife's Silverado I gotta have my transmission guy do. He is home from the hospital recovering from pneumonia. I don't do transmissions or transfer cases.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
Mmm... That's mysterious, alright. Primes but no pressure. If you key on, key off say 3 times and crank it, does it start and run for a few seconds, then falter and die? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can put on the Schrader valve to see if it's building any pressure whatsoever? What Delphi pump did you use? Do you have a part number?
Why do you ask this? I am having issues with my car. Sometimes it starts, runs for a few minutes then dies. I measured the fuel pressure and when the car does run (about 5 minutes) the pressure gets up to 32psi. If I pull the pressure vacuum then it goes up to 39-42psi. Then the car won't start again for about an hour, when it isn't starting it sounds like it is starving for gas. I have changed the CPS, ICM, fuel filter and the fuel relay. I am going to do the trap door and replace the fuel pump, but your post made me think that you might know something else that could be happening.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Administrator

@DirtyDaveW

Originally Posted by zootzee
Why do you ask this? I am having issues with my car. Sometimes it starts, runs for a few minutes then dies. I measured the fuel pressure and when the car does run (about 5 minutes) the pressure gets up to 32psi. If I pull the pressure vacuum then it goes up to 39-42psi. Then the car won't start again for about an hour, when it isn't starting it sounds like it is starving for gas. I have changed the CPS, ICM, fuel filter and the fuel relay. I am going to do the trap door and replace the fuel pump, but your post made me think that you might know something else that could be happening.
If you want to respond to the post immediately above, please do it in the already active thread on this problem:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...unning-886836/

We don't need two parallel topics, and this doesn't belong in the "Access door...." thread.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zootzee
Why do you ask this? .......
DirtyDaveW was responding to the post by sscott immediately above his response.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fue...0/#post6989216