Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

94 Z28 won't crank please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM

94 Z28 won't crank please help

Wed night I drove to the book store to buy a new lab manual. While sitting at a light I noticed the car was loping pretty hard, I noticed the battery gauge was jumping into the red then back up to center. I pulled into a parking spot on campus and let it idle. As it was idling the speedometer gauge was bouncing from 0-10 mph intermittently. The battery gauge was bouncing from the middle of the gauge into the red then back to middle. I turned it off then tried to turn it back on and it didn't crank. Initially the gauges were tuning on properly and the gas level/battery level, ect were being indicated by the needles. I heard the fuel pump priming the system and it seemed like everything was working except the car wouldn't crank when turned over. After about 5 attempts at cranking the car I left the key in the auxiliary position and noticed everything in my instrument cluster went out. I turned the key to the off position then back to the auxiliary position and didn't hear the fuel pump run and my instrument panel had no activity. While waiting for the tow truck to come I checked all the fuses and none look burnt out.

Last night I tried jump starting it with my roommate's vehicle just to see if voltage was an issue and maybe the alternator took a dump, but it didn't change anything.

I'm stumped. I'm not good with anything electrical and this sounds like I have something wrong with the ignition/electrical in the steering column not making contact with something. My battery is brand new and when the key is in the auxiliary position I can still turn my lights on/roll up and down my windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Re: 94 Z28 won't crank please help

Please post a topic in only one forum. Since you already have an active thread in the "LT1 Based Engine Tech" forum, I'll close this one.