Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

94' LT1 Optispark Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:02 AM

Cool 94' LT1 Optispark Choices

So after a Scan Tool analysis, and 12 years of light use my last Optispark died, think it was AC Delco brand (500 dollars), and now I'm online looking at prices. Is there a significant difference between the "vented or Non vented" type (think my 94' LT1 is Non Vented now). I think since my last Opti only lasted 32,000 miles maybe not spend so much this time, and get an "After market" brand, as prices vary from about $125 to $500 dollars. I was also thinking of trying to install myself ?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:20 AM

Re: 94' LT1 Optispark Choices

You can only use the non-vented version because your opti is spline driven. Although, the spline driven MSD comes with a vent system similar to the later vented style. If you only needed a cap and rotor, the MSD cap and rotor incorporates the vented system.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Administrator

You can find an AC Delco (OEM) remanufactured for closer to $400 plus refundable core charge. Anything else is like playing roulette..... the lower the cost of the Opti, the higher the odds of failure. You can find cheap Chinese ripoffs on ebay for under $100, but it isn't unusual for them to be bad right out of the box.

Someone showed me a link to a unit from Petris, which appears to be new. No idea how good it is, but he ordered it, didn't receive it yet. The Petris 92-94 unit is vented.

Store | Petris Enterprises
Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You can only use the non-vented version because your opti is spline driven. Although, the spline driven MSD comes with a vent system similar to the later vented style. If you only needed a cap and rotor, the MSD cap and rotor incorporates the vented system.
Great so I'll be looking for a Non Vented, Spline Driven Opti for the 1994 LT1, thanks very much. If the AC Delco lasted more than the 30,000 miles (like my 2nd Opti) I'd consider another AC Delco 500 dollar unit, but that's ridiculous
Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Read above.... the AC Delco is available close to $400.

ACDelco® 19212299 - GM Original Equipment? Ignition Distributor
Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 PM

Hi, being mechanically inclined, I was wondering how difficult is it to change the Optispark myself without a hoist (looks like harmonic balancer is in way). I was also wondering about the earlier "Cap and rotor" comment. the Opti looks sealed, like the AC Delco Stock unit, no vent. Is there a replaceable Cover and Rotor for these Optisparks, or like last time; the entire opti gets replaced to fix ?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 PM

The water pump and crank pulley (not the hub) has to be removed to deal with the opti. Cap and rotor kits are available (if that is all that is needed). An MSD C&R kit will essentially vent a non-vented 94 and earlier opti.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:21 PM

Hi thanks, ya right it's called the Crankshaft Balancer in Chiltons manual, looks like a pully wheel that belt rides in. obviously the H2O pump gets removed also. So other than getting the Spline/Coupling from the opti to Camshaft to align, and Crank Balancer to bolt on same way it was removed, it shouldn't be difficult for any shop with a lift. I'd do it myself but no garage, lol sad
Old 08-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Chiltons is not always correct.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by LuvF-bodies
Hi thanks, ya right it's called the Crankshaft Balancer in Chiltons manual, looks like a pully wheel that belt rides in. obviously the H2O pump gets removed also. So other than getting the Spline/Coupling from the opti to Camshaft to align, and Crank Balancer to bolt on same way it was removed, it shouldn't be difficult for any shop with a lift. I'd do it myself but no garage, lol sad

I just recently replaced both water pump and opti on my '93. No lift is needed as you will R&R everything from the top. My first time doing it and it's not really that bad just very, very time consuming. Went ahead and replaced the plugs and plug wires as well as all of the front seals.
Also, it's a dampener...the crankshaft is balanced internally. Chiltons!

Last edited by Ananta1369; 08-31-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:24 AM

Hi, and thanks. So the Crankshaft Dampener gets unbolted easy enough then (use Matchmark), and what size type are the optispark Bolts anyways, normal Hex Bolts?
I am ordering all new H2O Pump gaskets and re-using a (30,000 miles) H2O Pump. I didn't find any other seals to replace on Opti Install. I think there's a couple of O-Rings on the end of Camshaft Pin, but what part number ? It doesn't look that complicated after all, just make sure Camshaft Pin is aligned with new Opti right !
I also noticed the advertisement for my New Optispark has the "Camshaft pin" protruding from it, unlike my Chiltons Photograph shows the Camshaft Pin extending from front of Cam ? Is it removable ?
Is there also a Driveshaft Waterpump Coupling issue; Do I need a "Waterpump Drive shaft O-Ring Installer Tool" and O-Rings replaced on that as well ? Do I need to remove the right side cooling fan to remove the H2O Pump, as Chiltons described, all nuances of replacement are much appreciated, as I assume I have the tools and skills.

Last edited by LuvF-bodies; 09-02-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 PM

The pulley can only go on one way, so marking it is not really necessary. Bolt heads for the opti are 3/8. Align opti this way. The splined stub shaft can be removed from the opti or cam nose (Make sure you put it back correctly indexed).

My cam removal guide has info you can use if you scroll down to the "disassembing the front of the engine" section.
Remove the fans as an assembly to give you room to work. You will need to remove the AIR pump and it's bracket to get the water pump off. Replace the water pump shaft o-rings, as they are likely hard and brittle. No need for an o-ring installer if you roll the seals into place. Diagrams and part number are in links within the cam guide link above.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:24 PM

A very excellent reply. The Place Opti This Way photo is great. I just put dab of grease on the shaft and align keyway. The Waterpump Coupling O-Rings I have found online, guess I need 2 of these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/252352283134?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT the install looks easy enough. So I may also have to remove the AIR pump, but NOT the Crank Hub, so I won't need a "Puller" of any kind. I don't think I have to mess w/Oil Pan or anything else. I'm in "Ordering Parts online Mode" LOL Thanks a lot Shoebox you're a great help !

Last edited by LuvF-bodies; 09-05-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 PM

Hey will i have to use a "Claw Puller" to get the Crank Pully off the Hub, as something else to get online for cheap (or borrow). Or do I just remove the 3 bolts, and it pulls straight off ?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Administrator

In theory, you take the bolts out and it comes off. I reality, after 20+ years of rust, you generally have to use a puller.

Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/pull_pulley.jpg

Quick Reply: 94' LT1 Optispark Choices