Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

$900.00 switch repair.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:16 AM

Re: $900.00 switch repair.

I would like to install the resister. However, the security light goes out after the engine is started. But while I am driving it will go on for about 20 seconds. Does this mean my occasional non starting situation is something other than the resistor would cure?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Buy it, try it. Little to lose. It's probably the problem. Either measure your key to find out which matching resistor to use, or try them all by trial and error (wait 3+ minutes between each attempt).

The Install Bay GM Vats Bypass Kit Installer 15 Pack Car Remote Start Resistors | eBay
Old 09-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Administrator

If the key was read correctly, and the engine starts, it will stay running, even though the system detects a failure of a component in the system. This is call "fail enable". To quote from the factory manual:

If the PASS-KEY II system detects an open or short to ground when the ignition switch is in "RUN" position, the BCM will default to fail enable. Fail enable occurs when the proper key resistance has been sensed before the open or short to ground occurs. Fail enable will illuminate the security indicator lamp and allow the operator to stop and start the vehicle until the problem is corrected.
That would appear to point to the possibility that 1) the contacts for the key in the cylinder lock are intermittently losing contact; 2) there is a loose wire between the lock cylinder and the harness connector, that is intermittently creating an open or shorted circuit; or there is an intermittent problem in the wiring between the lock cylinder and the BCM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:32 PM

After pulling the fuse and disconnecting and reconnecting the VATS connector and reinstalling the fuse, I have started and warmed up the engine and restarted successfully several times. In it has not failed to start. So it may have been a loose VATS connection. But I do not trust it enough to drive it.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:23 PM

If you have read through any of the VATS info, you know that it will NOT shut the car down while you are driving if there is a fault in reading the key during engine operation.

Originally Posted by VATS info from shbox.com

Abnormal Operation

If the key pellet is the wrong value, the TDM will not send signals to allow the starter to engage or fuel to the engine. The TDM will shut down for ~3 minutes and the SECURITY lamp will remain lit with the key ON or OFF. When the ~3 minute timer has expired and the key is cycled from OFF to ON, the TDM timer is reset. If you try a key with the correct pellet value, the engine should start and run. SECURITY lamp should be off. If there is still a problem with reading the key, the TDM will light the SECURITY lamp and start the ~3 minute timer again.

If the sensing contact circuit is open or shorted (cannot read the key) or a defective key is used at the time the ignition is turned ON, the SECURITY lamp will flash at a rate of once per second and the engine will not start. No three minute lockout will begin.

The SECURITY lamp will also flash at once per second if a new, unprogrammed TDM is installed and there still is a defect in the key reading circuit. The engine will start in this condition, though.

The lock cylinder circuit is continuously monitored. If a fault lasting 1 minute is detected, the SECURITY lamp will light. If the fault then goes away for 1 minute, the lamp will go back off.

If the system detects a fault with the lock cylinder circuit after the engine is already running, the SECURITY lamp will light. The engine will be able to be restarted. This is called “fault enable mode”. (The system saw a good reading from the key at one point during a previous ignition cycle before the failure. So, it considers it a problem and not someone trying to steal the car.) When in fault enable mode, PASSKey protection is disabled until the problem is repaired. Once repaired, the SECURITY lamp will go out about 1 minute after the key is turned on. Fault enable mode will not shut down the engine while you are driving.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 PM

Thanks Shoebox. But what I meant was, I was afraid of getting stranded like say at Bubba's Bar when the car won't restart. I'd blow my savings trying to forget my problem. I was ready, however, to just take it for a spin this afternoon because it kept starting ok. Then I went out a few minutes ago and the bad boy is again refusing to turn over. All lights, signals, radio function. Is one of the security bypass modules Bulldog Security sells for $25. a more thorough remedy than the resister bypass?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Administrator

When it wouldn't start, did the "SECURITY" light stay on, flash, or do nothing?
Old 09-12-2015, 07:21 PM

The security light came on just like it normally does. But the starter did not engage. Then later when I again tried to start the car, the starter engaged and the car started.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Let's try this once again...

Normally the Security lamp comes on when you turn the key to RUN (ignition-on state), then it goes out after several seconds. If it stays on after the normal several second time, that indicates a VATS system/key fault. We are asking if the light stays on after several seconds, not if it lights at all.

The next time the car won't crank, wait 10 seconds or more to see if the Security lamp goes out.

Case 1: If the light goes out after several seconds, turn the key to Start. If the engine still won't crank and the light is still out, look elsewhere for the cause.

Case 2: If the light stays on after several seconds, install the resistor bypass.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 09-12-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 PM

Sorry, I wasn't listening. I get it now. Unfortunately, now the starter spins over and the engine starts every time I try.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 PM

My 97 Z-28 stranded me down the street from an Autozone, I thought it was just the battery gone bad, since i tried jumping it and nothing. I grabbed a new battery from autozone and it acted the same, returned the battery and took another new one to it and same thing, had it towed to a garage down the street from me, it was the starter switch in the column also,...they charged me $600.00. including the tow.

Last edited by IndyZman; 09-16-2015 at 01:51 PM.