Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo or supercharger LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:22 PM

Turbo or supercharger LS1

I have a 2001 SS and am thinking abt adding somekind of FI. I want to know the positives and negatives of each kind of FI. Which would be more costly and/or need a lot of engine work. What would be the ups and downs of going twin turbo.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:51 PM

Re: Turbo or supercharger LS1

Neither the blower or the turbo is going to be better or make more power than the other. Since you have an LS1 you can get away with 6-8psi on the stock motor. A good fuel system and tuning is the key to not blowing up the motor, but you still need to watch things. A supercharger would be the cheaper route. More people have them. A turbo is going to be more of a pain.(not that a blower isnt) but it is going to require more attention.

The twin turbo setup that you talk about is going to be better as far a driveability and is going to have less turbo lag. The Icon kit is the only one that I know of, some guy who was in GM hi-tech was running mid ten's on the stock motor. Not too bad. But any way to cut it~ to get that LS1 blown is going to cost you 4-5.5k for the kit (turbo or blower) and then money for supporting mods. Those will all depend on how much you increase the horsepower.

If your really going to do this, pick a goal. or set a budget. Then decide how your going to get there. Your talking about spending a serious amount of money.