Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo Headers - Which Ones??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Turbo Headers - Which Ones??

OK....I'm getting bored with the P600b Pro Charger. It's been a great street charger, but I want to step up to a turbo now, so I'm going to ditch the Pro Charger and the T56.

What is everyone using for headers?? I have been looking at the Hookers and Pacesetters. Do I need shorties or mid length??

Also.... what size primaries??.... My plans are to be in the 700-800 hp range, so most likely going to go with an S480 type turbo.

Thanks for your input!!.... and if you know anyone looking for a good street charger kit and a T56, let me know.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 PM

Re: Turbo Headers - Which Ones??

There aren't really any off the shelf turbo headers for these cars unless you find an old PTK kit but they are pricy. Some people have used the stock manifolds turned backwards with good results. I'd personally talk to Jon at LT!Boost about building something.

1 5/8" or 1 3/4" primaries would be my guess since they will likely dump into a 2.5" pipe either way. Biggest hassle will be fitting a big enough down pipe for a s480.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
There aren't really any off the shelf turbo headers for these cars unless you find an old PTK kit but they are pricy. Some people have used the stock manifolds turned backwards with good results. I'd personally talk to Jon at LT!Boost about building something.

1 5/8" or 1 3/4" primaries would be my guess since they will likely dump into a 2.5" pipe either way. Biggest hassle will be fitting a big enough down pipe for a s480.
Chris,

Thanks for your input!!.... It seems people are using the BBK shorties and facing them towards the back. I found someone on a different forum using a Sanderson C11 header and facing them forward, which makes the hot side less complex. The down side is they are 1 1/2 primaries. I've been warned about going with 1 3/4 primaries as that may effect spooling.

You bring up a great point about the 4" downpipe on the S480.... I will need to look into clearance issues and make adjustments if needed. I believe I could hit my HP goals with a smaller unit..... I just don't want to be caught in the future of wanting more power.... LOL

Tim
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM

I haven't seen the BBK headers so no comment there. I have a set of the Sanderson headers on my S10 but they are 1 3/4" primaries. Good quality pieces. Not sure how well they would fit in a 4th gen car. I know Jordon and a few others used SLP shorties years ago to build front mount kits.

For what you're doing the primaries aren't really going to matter a whole lot. The difference in volume between a short 1 5/8" header and a short 1 3/4" header isn't going to be much. Also the surface area isn't going to be that much different. I'd honestly pick a header based on spark plug access and cost before I worried about spool times. Though do yourself a favor and have them coated whichever way you go.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 PM

just make sure u go with a billet wheel turbo u will love it
Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
I haven't seen the BBK headers so no comment there. I have a set of the Sanderson headers on my S10 but they are 1 3/4" primaries. Good quality pieces. Not sure how well they would fit in a 4th gen car. I know Jordon and a few others used SLP shorties years ago to build front mount kits.

For what you're doing the primaries aren't really going to matter a whole lot. The difference in volume between a short 1 5/8" header and a short 1 3/4" header isn't going to be much. Also the surface area isn't going to be that much different. I'd honestly pick a header based on spark plug access and cost before I worried about spool times. Though do yourself a favor and have them coated whichever way you go.
Thanks for your input!!.... There is a guy on another forum using the Sanderson C11 and facing them forward.... My only concern would be the 1 1/5 primaries would shroud my exhaust ports??
Old 11-01-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mr99SS
just make sure u go with a billet wheel turbo u will love it
I think with my HP goals and an S480 the cast wheel would be sufficient...... I will look into that though
Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM

LT1Boost.net makes turbo setups for LT1s.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 87Aerocoupe
LT1Boost.net makes turbo setups for LT1s.
But that takes all the fun out of it... I plan on copying his layout, but I want to build it myself.... Makes the end result that much more gratifying!!

I found a set of BBK's..... so I have my starting point

Last edited by musict; 12-01-2013 at 07:22 AM.