Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Turbo build questions

Let me start out by saying that I've been researching for about a year now on remote mounts. I feel like there's much more to learn but I don't think I can get the full learning without finally starting it. I still have a few questions due to some conflictin info I've read most are about fuel delivery

I plan on a hx35 turbo using stock wrapped manifolds with a 3 in pipE to the turbo then 2.5 back to the intake
I want to run 3psi normal with 6 for when I take it to the track for fun
Car is a semi dd so it sees a lil street time. With 3 psi I don't plan on an intercooler at first but maybe later if I go boost happy.
Engine is rebuilt but not forged pistons I was gonna go forged but my buildersaid that the hyper ones he used would be just as good if jot better than cheap forged ones and couldtake a good beating. I'm hoping for like 450 hp with this setup. I've got basically full boltons and an le1 cam. I've checked specs and I think it'll be halfway decent with the turbo. I've read lots of conflicting info on that too

I've got a buddy who will help me with the build since he's into turbo cars. He says I'll be fine running that boost on 24 lb injectors with an afpr. Is this true? Or will I need a diff fuel pump? What other little supporting mods might I need?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Re: Turbo build questions

Originally Posted by vangill
Let me start out by saying that I've been researching for about a year now on remote mounts. I feel like there's much more to learn but I don't think I can get the full learning without finally starting it. I still have a few questions due to some conflictin info I've read most are about fuel delivery

I plan on a hx35 turbo using stock wrapped manifolds with a 3 in pipE to the turbo then 2.5 back to the intake
I want to run 3psi normal with 6 for when I take it to the track for fun
Car is a semi dd so it sees a lil street time. With 3 psi I don't plan on an intercooler at first but maybe later if I go boost happy.
Engine is rebuilt but not forged pistons I was gonna go forged but my buildersaid that the hyper ones he used would be just as good if jot better than cheap forged ones and couldtake a good beating. I'm hoping for like 450 hp with this setup. I've got basically full boltons and an le1 cam. I've checked specs and I think it'll be halfway decent with the turbo. I've read lots of conflicting info on that too

I've got a buddy who will help me with the build since he's into turbo cars. He says I'll be fine running that boost on 24 lb injectors with an afpr. Is this true? Or will I need a diff fuel pump? What other little supporting mods might I need?
I am in no way an expert here, but I'm not sure you will see 450rwhp at 3lb's of boost with just a 1le cam. As far as injectors go, you should step up to bigger ones so when you get an intercooler and want to run more boost you still have enough injector left. Even if you don't think you need them now, you will get addicted to boost and when you start running more, all you will need is to get it tuned!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Sry I should edit that lol. I was kidding on the 450 I mean inlike that but I'm not gonna gripe. As long as I get some gain and some good whistling lol. I know I'll wantore boost which is why I want to start with no intercooler for now bc this way o cam learn while I build an then have toooooons of room for improvement. I need to find someone to sell me some dished forged pistons lol. But maybe I've been reading too much.

But do you think the stock injectors will be fine to run at first?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:53 AM

An afpr is such a crappy way to 'tune'. Get bigger injectors and do it the right way. You're going to have to get tunercats, datamasters, and a tuning cable anyway... and a higher flow fuel pump.