Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

supercharger vs turbo on 96 z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 AM

Question supercharger vs turbo on 96 z28

First off im wondering if i wanted to slap a supercharger on my 96 z28, what else would need to be replaced first? and secondly is it actually worth the money?

what kind of power gains do you normally get from the superchargers?
and what about a turbo how well would they perform compared to a supercharger.. i want one or the other and i dont feel like buying on and finding out i dont like it.. i have my opinions on both but more minds are better than one.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:38 AM

Re: supercharger vs turbo on 96 z28

How familiar are you with forced induction?

I've had a variety of cars and have always favored turbos, mainly because they're much more efficient. Some would complain about turbo lag, but that's why there are a wide variety of turbos/twin turbos for different applications.

To better answer your question, what's your goal/end result here?

Btw, I JUST joined the forum because I might get a Z28 but I loooooove boost!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:56 AM

umm i know my share of forced induction.. and i have a 69 impala 427 ss that i can pull the front wheels off the ground and i want that in my camaro and there is turbo lag but the twin turbo set up will cost u up the ***.. a supercharger takes power to get power but u also get more power the higher your rpms are and then the turbo can only spin so fast but the super will go faster than the motor will spin.. the z28 rocks man i love mine i love everything about it the sound the look the speed haha pure american muscle....
Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by avegaz28
umm i know my share of forced induction.. and i have a 69 impala 427 ss that i can pull the front wheels off the ground and i want that in my camaro and there is turbo lag but the twin turbo set up will cost u up the ***.. a supercharger takes power to get power but u also get more power the higher your rpms are and then the turbo can only spin so fast but the super will go faster than the motor will spin.. the z28 rocks man i love mine i love everything about it the sound the look the speed haha pure american muscle....
Superchargers take power to make it...and are less efficient because you can only spin that motor so fast before things come apart...of course you can swap pullies but very quickly you will spin that supercharger out of its efficient range and make more heat than power.....BUT a supercharger is definitely easier to bolt on. Turbos on the other hand will make as much boost as you allow the wastegate or BOV to allow...but again that air gets REALLY hot...and then there is all the plumbing and hoses and welds...and you need more room. I like exhaust driven because its basically FREE power...but it has its faults.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:22 AM

Turbo+ported/modded exhaust manifold+free-flowing cat-less exhaust+externally gated+meth injection+big intercooler+teflon coated custom cold+hot pipes+tuned= BIG GRINS
Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Let's move this to "Forced Induction" where it belongs.