Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Supercharger Setup, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Supercharger Setup, Help!

Hey, I have a 1995 Formula/T56. It's a bolt on car - electric water pump, intake and full exhaust. MAF was descreened by P.O. and the coolant bypass on the throttle body. Otherwise it is stock.

I am aware the compression is way too high for a supercharger but I will rebuild my motor once it blows up. Recently I found a good deal on a Vortech V1 T-trim blower without any shaft play. It comes with LT1 f-body mounting bracket, stock pulley, a new belt, and the intake piping... best deal is it is free off my brother's car if I give him a hand pulling out his motor and rebuilding it with him.

I am aware that I will need bigger injectors and the car will need to be tuned. What else will I need and what size injectors should I get? (I'm mainly interested in the crankcase evac setup; as I do not understand what to do).

Last edited by zraffz; 08-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM

Re: Supercharger Setup, Help!

All that was recommended for my car was an extra external fuel pump and an MSD ignition box. No need for bigger injectors, at least for me. I would not go above 6 psi with a stock setup.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM

You'll get some more info in the "forced induction" section, but here's some help..

1.) 42lb injectors would probably be a good idea- in addition to a larger fuel pump. This will cost you some money up front, but will help protect your motor.

2.) I would suggest an intercooler or a meth-injection setup. Even at only 6psi, it will help lower your intake temps, and allow you to run a little more timing and remain safe.

3.) Some will state that the factory ignition is stout enough. I can't say either way myself, but an aftermarket ignition is cheap enough in the broad scheme of things.

Also look into getting at least a boost gauge, and if you can swing it get a wide-band o2 sensor. Both will help you keep an eye on things.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM

I forgot to mention I planned on doing water/meth. I will be ordering injectors, any suggestion on a fuel pump (and am I going to have to drop the tank to install it -- not exactly sure what a "extra" external fuel pump is?). Will be running an A/F ratio gauge and boost gauge as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM

and what is the crankcase evap modification I am reading about? I'd have to go outside and check, but aren't their already breathers on the top of the valve covers?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Here is a link on how to replace the fuel pump without dropping the tank:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

There is a more detailed writeup somewhere, but these pictures pretty much tell the story.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM

You'll need to change up your stock evaporation system because it will fill your motor full of pressure under boost. I had this happen to me... It pushed my intake gasket clean out... I just run 2 breathers now... One on the intake one on the valve cover on opposite sides of the motor... 18 psi and a f1a. It works great!! Oh and you'll also not wanna run a platinum plug... Run some tr6 ngk's... For your 6 psi on the stock setup is bet a rewired stock pump would work... Something like a racetronix kit. Also get a msd box or something... And also... Expect to break lots of parts... But when your under boost you'll have permasmile . Enjoy!!

Last edited by 97SS0594; 08-11-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:57 PM

Thanks guys, I was looking into the Walbro 255 pump, I'm aware I can cut an access patch to switch the pumps but I was wondering how people run a secondary fuel pump -- whatever though, I'd rather just switch out one this way it is easier to diagnose any issues.

Where do you run a breather on the intake? Also is their any alternative to an oil port instead of punching a hole in my oil pan? (seems a bit primitive).

Going to be running a Crane Cams "Fireball" ignition box because it's coming with he supercharger.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by zraffz
Thanks guys, I was looking into the Walbro 255 pump, I'm aware I can cut an access patch to switch the pumps but I was wondering how people run a secondary fuel pump -- whatever though, I'd rather just switch out one this way it is easier to diagnose any issues.
You can use a small Y block to feed the stock line. It's also possible to install bulkhead fittings into the top of the pump bracket. It's also possible to install additional lines like I ended up doing. Just depends on how far you want to go with it.

Also is their any alternative to an oil port instead of punching a hole in my oil pan? (seems a bit primitive).
Not really unless you want to remove the stock pan and have a port welded into the side of it.

As far as injectors go I would look on LS1tech for a set of used 60 lb injectors.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 AM

60's seem a little high at this point IMO. I was making close to 500 rwhp with 42's and they weren't quite maxed out yet.

I suppose it depends on OP's end goals. Probably won't need 60's until running over 8lbs of boost and getting into the stock bottom end. The argument is there that won't have to buy again in the future- but it might be a little tuning problem to get the 60's dialed back enough at idle on stock displacement/cam/heads...just my opinion though,
Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 AM

one of my filters is strapped to my PCV valve. but my 2 pumps are strapped to each other inside the tank...