Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Starting out on a 5.3 Turbo setup for my 96 Z28...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Starting out on a 5.3 Turbo setup for my 96 Z28...

Update - 02/18/2015 - was going with stock 5.3 heads but due to a mixup, Wiseco pistons will need larger chambers. Found some LS6 heads to keep the static Compression ratio 9.5:1. THEN found some beautiful CNC ported 243's so they're going on the motor.

Already purchased;
  • 5.3 Pulled from a fully functioning 2000 Silverado. 90K on the motor.
  • ISKY Triple 12 Turbo cam (new)
  • Front cover conversion (for LS9 cam type)
  • New high volume GM oil pump
  • Brian Tooley dual valve springs
  • ARP studs
  • Stainless Hotside. Single turbo for now, twin setup being welded.
  • Harness to wire the PCM to the motor/dash - Update - bought a plug n' play harness.
  • LS1 UMI tubular K Member
  • LS1 Rack n pinion/linkage

I already have 3 turbo setups.
  • TC76 w/.96 A/R
  • PT7675 w/.96 A/R
  • twin GT35's w/.63 A/R

I have two wastegates
  • Turbosmart 38mm
  • JGS 50mm

Other items I have;
  • Front mounted intercooler (3")
  • 127# Bosch injectors
  • 0411 PCM
  • AEM Truboost controller
  • Aeromotive 340lph and 255lph fuel pumps
  • Tial 50MM blowoff valve
  • TH350 w/4000 stall vigilante - Transbrake added
  • 2 bar map sensor - update-bought a 3 bar MAP sensor.
  • Bought a brand new GM Fbody oil pan
  • Bought a used LS1 Intake w/Fuel Rails and new bolts.
  • Bought HPTuners softwareUpdate 12/4/2014

Yet to buy:
    Update: Decided to go with Callies Compstar forged H-Beam rods and forged Wiseco Pistons
    Looking forward to seeing what I can do with this.
    Dave

Last edited by DirtyDaveW; 02-24-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    Old 09-27-2014, 07:44 AM

Re: Starting out on a 5.3 Turbo setup for my 96 Z28...

Just wanted to add, the current LT1 turbo setup that is on the car today is still running and kicking ***. It's just that the motor has been in service since 2008 and is due for a refresh. Rather than pulling the motor, taking it to my machinist and waiting a month or two till it all gets put back together, I'm going to have the 5.3 setup ready to immediately go in. Then, the machinist can do his thing while I'm out still having fun. You might rationally think, "why not just buy another turbo built LT1?". Because going thru what I did for this current LT1 was arduous , expensive and time consuming. While I readily admit, not just using a junkyard 5.3 as-is can in itself be expensive, it will mainly be so the first time. If I pop this 5.3 (slated for the 800rwhp range), I can just buy another readily available Junk yard 5.3 for $650 and transfer the ARP studs, Z06 cam, valve springs, Fbody oil pan and be ready to go again.

Hopefully, the LT1 will only need refreshing of rings, bearings, valve springs, seals and be ready to go again . For sure, I raced it last night and it still screams. Oil pressure at cold idle is just below the 80psi mark using a WIX 51060 filter and Brad Penn 10w30 oil. At full operating temperature (180f) I cruise down the highway in 6th gear, 1800 rpm and the oil pressure is 45psi. At that same temp, she idles at 850 rpm with 25 psi.

I've had immense pride in telling my defeated opponents at the track that "Yes, it's still an LT1".
    Old 09-27-2014, 08:53 AM

And just yesterday I was wondering what happenned to you!

Good to hear you are still out there making boost, but surprised at seeing your first post (good thing you made a second post to explain it all or I would really be wondering why.
    Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks. Yeah, I've got the WOT fueling perfect now so she's really running well with the 2 bar Speed Density tune. She's been so dependable too. I've had no hesitation driving the weekly round trips from Albany to Rochester and back (500miles roundtrip). I've been drowned with work that last month and it will continue till the end of Oct (working 7 days a week, and typically 12hours a day at a minimum) so I wasn't able to put in the 4000 stalled TH350 Ah well, next Spring.

A reality check on the 5.3 has been finding out...
    • You pretty much HAVE to use an LS1 fbody k-member and steering rack/linkage
    • The tuning software from EFILive and HPTuners is mega expensive($900 for EFILive and at least $600 for HPTuners)
    • Although you can run a "Junkyard" 5.3 as is, if you want extra safety you can opt for ARP studs at a whopping $400 for the set. Jeez....
    • You can find the 0411 PCMS for 70 to $100 but the plug and play harness to go from our 96 Fbodies to the 5.3 is $750... ouch... I have one but man, it better arrive on a velvet pillow lol...
    • Transmissions are going to be a challenge. Initially, I'll get the adapter ring and run my TH350 behind the 5.3.
    Old 09-27-2014, 11:55 AM

As long as you are being paid hourly... Then you can throw a little extra money at it if you want. Some of those prices are surprising..
    Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM

New stainless hotside just arrived... This will be for the first startup with the current PT7675.

It's going to be the initial setup till I can weld up the twin turbo setup. I ordered some 1/2" Mild steel 2" port flanges and some 2" mandrel primary piping. I figure at 500 bux, made of stainless, provided I build a support for the PT7675 so the headers aren't bearing the full weight of it, it should be good for at least a short term.
    Old 10-05-2014, 12:06 AM

Is that one of Huron's kits? Looks similar.

Pop the pistons out of the 5.3 and open up the ring gaps to around .025 and let it eat boost. 800 rwhp and it'll live a long life. And if it doesn't who cares?

Let me know when you get the 411 pcm up and running.

PS. Throw away those exhaust gaskets and run the factory MLS gaskets.
    Old 10-05-2014, 12:33 AM

That's what my machinist is doing to the rings
    Thanks for the tip on the gaskets. Yeah, the PCM is in hand, the plug and play harness in process, but that dipped in gold HP Tuners software is not ordered yet. Soon though!
    Old 10-08-2014, 06:25 AM

Not a Huron kit. It's CRX Racing. Only $500 for the whole stainless setup. Includes V-band clamps, wastegate exit (though curiously a four bolt flange for that).

In other news...
    Looking thru the board classifieds, I found a tubular UMI LS1 K-member, an Fbody, an Fbody alternator, a 3 bar map sensor and an LS1 Fbody power steering pump/bracket/pulley/lines setup. I *think* I'll still need the PS reservoir though. All are being shipped as we speak.
    Old 10-08-2014, 07:33 AM

Well, the seller is monitoring my posts and tells me the reservoir is with it!
    Old 10-11-2014, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
    A reality check on the 5.3 has been finding out...
    • You pretty much HAVE to use an LS1 fbody k-member and steering rack/linkage
    • The tuning software from EFILive and HPTuners is mega expensive($900 for EFILive and at least $600 for HPTuners)
    • Although you can run a "Junkyard" 5.3 as is, if you want extra safety you can opt for ARP studs at a whopping $400 for the set. Jeez....
    • You can find the 0411 PCMS for 70 to $100 but the plug and play harness to go from our 96 Fbodies to the 5.3 is $750... ouch... I have one but man, it better arrive on a velvet pillow lol...
    • Transmissions are going to be a challenge. Initially, I'll get the adapter ring and run my TH350 behind the 5.3.
    You will need the LS K member for sure. You might want to test fit the LT1 rack & pinion with the turbo kit. It may actually fit since you'll have the alternator up high on the passenger side. You will probably need the LS1 steering shaft though. Modular Turbo sells a nice alt relocation kit and a power steering line kit. Bending those lines sucks.

If you haven't spent the $$ on the harness yet it's very easy to repin the stock harness to work with the 411 pcm. I did the one in my 97 and my 98 car. The 98 was a hack job but it works, just looks ugly. The 97 looks factory with all the extra plugs removed, it's just in a box right now.

HP Tuners is your friend. Once you start tuning with it you'll never go back to the LTx stuff, I promise.

There's really not an adapter needed for the TH350. You will need a spacer from an early truck motor though. Not entirely sure which flexplate you will need. If you decide to swap back to the T56 you can reuse the LT1 transmission but you will need to swap the front plate, bell housing & input shaft along with the hydraulics and the clutch/flywheel.

Oh, on that turbo kit you'll definitely want to clearance the passenger side v band to clear the bell housing. Also, the flange bolt holes may need to be opened up slightly. You'll also want to invest in some header wrap. A brace isn't a bad idea but the headers seem to be tough enough to handle the weight. I have one that I got cheap off of a friend of mine that ran a T70 for several seasons. No cracks or anything and no brace.
    Old 10-11-2014, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the tips Chris
    Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 AM

on the wiring harness, sent that check a few weeks ago Plug and play on the way. Goes right thru the firewall bulkhead with a new grommet and plugs into the stock 96 harness under the dash. Expensive but all the right connectors in all the right places and looks factory. If I had more time than money, I'd do it your way. But right now, I'm lucky to sleep, much less have time to work on my beloved Fbody. I think I'm going to be laid off as of Jan 1st, from what they tell me, so I've got to make the overtime while I can
    Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM
    Super Moderator

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out!
    Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 PM

Thanks!
    Today, the UMI tubular K-Member arrived.
    Hoping to hear from the machinist that the hot-tank, ring gapping and head freshening (lap valves and new valve seals) are done soon.

Something I'm reading but not absolutely sure of, is that the truck manifold won't fit under my stock 96 Z28 Hood. Anyone else know if that's true?

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
    Looking forward to seeing how this comes out!

Quick Reply: Starting out on a 5.3 Turbo setup for my 96 Z28...