Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Some blower piping upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:04 AM

Some blower piping upgrades

I am still rocking the same setup more or less - but did redo my intake and discharge piping from what was still the basic kit, and re-piped the meth injection scheme - here's a few pics. Did get to try out aluminum brazing to get the bypass inlet fitting welded onto the 4" elbow, which went ok once I got enough heat into it. Also built a stainless 3-1/2" discharge tube and had that and the Vortech elbow ceramic coated.

Name:  IMG_0785_zpsa1554f32.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  76.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0783_zps056f4a8b.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0827_zps8ffe94c8.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  94.4 KB

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 09-27-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Re: Some blower piping upgrades

That's impressive. Makes me wish I had opted for a blower rather than nitrous.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the compliment! Both ways are effective. If nitrous was somewhat cheaper, I would probably have that, too. Without an intercooler, I show high IATs, although I am spraying most of the meth after the sensor at the throttle body, so the engine is not really seeing hot air. I still think the nitrous would help that out a bit if I sprayed into the discharge tube. Really, now the issue is just what to do about the sensor reporting highish temps to the pcm and what effects that really has. I can always do something to fool it. I am also injecting some meth/water right at the blower discharge which has to be helping some, but not sure how much (it is a small injector). Some guys spray into the blower, but I am undecided about that. Maybe I should just get busy and figure out how to get an intercooler/aftercooler in there without hacking up the car.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Looks great. Regarding the nozzle position, most have the nozzle before the IAT. Sensor sees the colder air and your tune will adjust the timing accordingly.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlackbirdWS6
Looks great. Regarding the nozzle position, most have the nozzle before the IAT. Sensor sees the colder air and your tune will adjust the timing accordingly.
Thanks - I used to have two nozzles at staggered positions in the first elbow, but when I redid everything I put them in the spot that is most advised by the 'experts'. I could probably have squeezed them in a little ahead of where they are and ahead of the sensor, but I can still play around with the sizes and the third nozzle that is a little below the bypass to see if that helps, otherwise I can do something different with the sensor or the settings in the pcm. I think that aluminum intake elbow always heat soaks that sensor anyway. it is a little better since I got it coated.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 09-27-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 PM

nice and clean
Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 PM

Nice looking Kevin. My setup 'works' but is not very attractive.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks, I am hoping the 4" intake, big MAF, and giant filter nets me a less restrictive intake and maybe a couple more pounds of boost. I am seeing 15# at moderate rpms and haven't really revved it high enough to see what I'll get. I've been re-tuning it for the larger MAF and different meth injection which has changed the tune more than I thought it would and has been a little hard to cram in. The other thing is that last summer, I rebuilt the A4 transmission, and had to retune that to last longer than the one before it, since I believe there are things in the stock tune that contributed to its demise, like violent down shifting into second on WOT kickdown, etc. So I still have to get all of it wringed out to see if I did any good. And I need to get to the track to see if I can get into the 10s with this - last time it went 11.1 124-126 on the DRs with not enough fuel delivery (fell flat on a couple of the burnouts and went lean at the top end of the track - meth/water injection probably saved it). It also had the fuel system redone since then and a bigger bottom pulley. I've been so busy that I don't know when I'll get back there...

As far as less attractive setups - I've seen very many of those that are way faster than me - however, I spend some time at car shows, so that accounts for some of the bling under the hood. I've been winning a few, too, keeping the faith for the 4th gen crowd - most of the LT1 cars I see are either really nice or raggedy with high miles. I think there are less of them around.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:37 PM

Nice ET! What was your sixty? I found a local guy that installs transbrakes in TH350's so I hope I can drop it off to him(maybe this weekend?).
Old 10-05-2014, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by BlackbirdWS6

Yeah but the divider in the Vortech elbow causes issues with meth. I ran mine with a nitrous plate behind the TB without any problems. If nothing else you can have the meth relay short the IAT with a resistor to whatever temp you want. LS1 cars do it with nitrous all the time.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Yeah but the divider in the Vortech elbow causes issues with meth. I ran mine with a nitrous plate behind the TB without any problems. If nothing else you can have the meth relay short the IAT with a resistor to whatever temp you want. LS1 cars do it with nitrous all the time.
Ahh wasn't aware the elbow was divided. Wonder why they designed it that way. Perhaps to avoid turbulence?