Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Rings - Gapless Top vs Gapless 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Rings - Gapless Top vs Gapless 2nd?

Ok so heres my situation:
Currently have a d1 progarger on a stock internals LT1. This summer im looking at collecting parts towards a build next winter, for forged rods/pistons 355 to run on sub 10psi.

My question is in regards to rings. Im looking at Total seal piston rings on CNC motorsports, and it seems that there are gapless top and gapless 2nd ring sets of the TNT series. Both say they are for boost, however there is about a 60$ price point difference.

Im curious as to the reasoning for this, and what your guys thoughts are towards adequate rings. What would you suggest I use, keeping in mind the boost may come up down the road?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Re: Rings - Gapless Top vs Gapless 2nd?

never run a gapless 2nd ring on a power adder combo.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 PM

BIGCATPOWER:

"never run a gapless 2nd ring on a power adder combo."

excuse my ignorance,but .. why not? Are gapless more prone to cracking from detonation in the ring lands?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Are the pistons engineered to use gapless rings? Do they have Vertical or Horizontal gas ports? Pressure equalizer groove? Is the car only a track car 98% of the time? If you answered yes to most of those, gapless is OK, if no, stay away from gapless.

I'm a Motörhead and I approve this posting....using Tapatalk 2.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by NJ-LE
BIGCATPOWER:

"never run a gapless 2nd ring on a power adder combo."

excuse my ignorance,but .. why not? Are gapless more prone to cracking from detonation in the ring lands?
the top ring is your compression ring the second rings primary job is to scrap oil from the cyl wall. when gasses get past the top ring it starts building psi between the rings. then the second ring looses control and starts letting oil past. then kaboom. and you want a wider gap on the second ring to insure it does not happen. so you can imagine how much trouble a gapless 2 ring could cause.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BIGCATPOWER
the top ring is your compression ring the second rings primary job is to scrap oil from the cyl wall. when gasses get past the top ring it starts building psi between the rings. then the second ring looses control and starts letting oil past. then kaboom. and you want a wider gap on the second ring to insure it does not happen. so you can imagine how much trouble a gapless 2 ring could cause.
This makes sense!
So with that in mind, would you rather a gapless top, or a conventional gapped setup?

Say totalseal gapless top vs totalseal classic AP for a street driven/weekend track car with mild boost (7-12psi?)
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbadwhitey
This makes sense!
So with that in mind, would you rather a gapless top, or a conventional gapped setup?

Say totalseal gapless top vs totalseal classic AP for a street driven/weekend track car with mild boost (7-12psi?)
i prefer conventional rings.