Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Powerdyne LT1 install 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM

Powerdyne LT1 install 2 questions

I just got my powerdyne kit and the instructions aren't very clear. I have read over it about 5 times and can't figure 2 parts out. If someone could answer some of the questions I had that would be great.

The included instructions basically say:
Modify Engine Oil cooler lines
Relocate cruise control
Relocate Air Pump and modify lines
Modify cooling fan (cut top for clearance)
Mount crank pulley and supercharger brackets
Install supercharger and adjust belt tension

Cooler Line Modification:
Step 1: With both cooler lines disconnected from the water pump and radiator, remove the bolt securing the oil cooler lines to the oil filter base. Then carefully remove the entire assy. from the vehicle. Using a tubing cutter, carefully cut the coolant lines as shown.

Step 2:Select correct size compression fittings depending on the year of vehicle. Use one straight compression fitting on the lower tube and one 90 degree fitting on the upper tube. 90 degree fitting should point towards driver side fender well. Using teflon paste or tape, install 5/8 barb fittings into compression fittings. install compression fittings on cooler lines.
The longer tube (15 inch) gets the straight fitting and the shorter tube (11.5 inch ) will get the 90 degree fitting. Point the 90 degree fitting towards the drivers side inner fender well. Reinstall the cooler line assy. on to the old filter base.

Step 3: Install the supplied 5/8" x 28" hose between the 90 degree water outlet on the water pump and the 90 degree fitting on the oil cooler. Secure hose with clamps provided.

Step 4: Install the 5/8"x 20 oil cooler line between the 5/8" barb on the modified cooler line and the 5/8" molded plastic barb on bottom drivers side of radiator (air intake for supercharger sits right here and has a 5/8" barb is this what they're talking about?).

So If I am understanding this correctly they want me to remove the oil cooler lines, and make a 3 way split or T on each side. Connect hoses to the two newly made 3 way splits; one side goes to the 90 degree outlet on the water pump the other goes to the air intake tube before the supercharger.

Does this sound right? I see how having oil in the air intake could help cool the supercharger but what would happen to it after it entered the throttle body?

The second question I have has to do with breather modification.
From the powerdyne manual:
Step 1: Disconnect Valve cover breather (1/2" hose) from the throttle body. Push the supplied 1/2" hose mender into the hose. On the opposite end, install the supplied 1/2" breather hose. Route the hose under the throttle body towards the drivers side fender. Leave hose there for now. Use the supplied 1/2" vacuum cap to cover the nipple on the throttle body.

I have read through the rest of the manual and this was never mentioned again. What is the point of this? Any idea where the hose is supposed to go?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM

Re: Powerdyne LT1 install 2 questions

when i did my vortech kit you had to take off the hard cooler lines off the oil filter and cut them about 2 feet away from the filter then twist the 90 degree fitting on the water pump and connect the one 90 to the one cooler line and the other line around the supercharger ( the hard line is in the way of the supercharger so you put rubber one in. and on the throttle body it seems like they want you to put your valve covers to the atmisphere and cap off the throttlebody. does this make sence maybe go to vortec i know they have drawings.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 AM

I went to Vortecs website and looked at the installation guide for a lt1. The steps in the guide are pretty much the same except for the mounting and oil feed(powerdyne doesn't tap into oil pan). The Vortec guide is twice as detailed as the powerdyne guide and made a lot more sense. It even had a parts list so I could figure out how much hose I needed, clamps, etc...

Thanks for the help and it definitely answered my questions.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Remove the hose that goes from your passenger VC to the TB and cap the TB port. The line you run from the intake side of your blower up to the passenger VC needs to now go into your passenger VC. If you don't do this and leave it like stock, when under boost, you'll pressurize your crank case because you'll have boost pressure going through that TB port and into your passenger VC, thus pressurizing the crank case.

As for the oil cooler lines, they have to be cut back to make room. You'll still run each line to the same locations, but cutting them back and putting a 90 or 90's on them helps relocate the lines to make room for the head unit. To be honest, i'd eliminate the oil cooler all together. Not really needed. Many guys do it. I have and i've never had any cooling issues. Less to mess around with on the install too...

Ken R.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM

F-Body Install & Fix-It Guides

Scroll down and look in the Blower & Nitrous link, see links titled "Powerdyne Install #1" and "Powerdyne Install #2" ....can't view them here at work but I think they still work. If not search around a bit about Brent Franker's install guides ...great stuff. If you can find one titled "My Powerdyne Mods and Fixes" or something to that effect it helped me out a lot. ....and yes, just remove the oil cooler as long as you're always using full synthetic oil as you should. Almost everyone removes theirs, besides, it's really a place where a leak could develop and it's extra weight and clutter in the engine bay you don't need. Good luck, need any help just PM or post in here.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 AM

I installed mine years ago. It ended up taking me weeks instead of half a day like they say it can. Many parts to the kit were wrong and I spent days searching for them. Something simple like a bolt that was not long enough or instructions that were impossible to understand, were holding me back. I ended up replacing several connections and doing it right, since may parts were just junk and not up to my standards. Curious how its going and if you have more questions. I came up with many new things to make the kit better and will help if needed.