Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Pics of my stock fans as pushers - LT1 Fbody 4th Gen Turbo car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM

Pics of my stock fans as pushers - LT1 Fbody 4th Gen Turbo car...

This past weekend, while addressing the burnt T4 shim gasket, I performed one of my classic “2 step forward, 1 step back” moves. I must have an insatiable need to keep auto part providers in business.

As all us turbo DIY’ers know, getting to those four flange bolts is a challenge. One or two may be marginally accessible with a socket but it seems invariably that one or two will only be tightened in the most glacial manner with 1/16” turns and flipping the combo wrench over every other time to gain access. Therefore, on those that we can use an air wrench upon, we relish, right? So I get under the car with the air ratchet set to loosen and I have my 9/16” box end to keep the nut from turning. Everything in place ? Check! Press the lever!! Rat a tat tat… well phock, .. the ratchet has enough energy to spin the ol’ wrench out of my hand had send it directly into a confrontation with my radiator. I don’t think those are tears of joy weeping down my cheek, too much antifreeze… Sigh.. so off to Autozone I go and get a replacement for a surprisingly low sum of $100 + tax.

As I strip off the old stuff in get ready for the new radiator install, I remember I’d told some of you guys that I use the stock LT1 fans but as pushers and that it keeps the car at the first quarter mark on all street driving and just marginally past the first ¼ mark even when I’m racing it hard. The ONLY downside is that apparently those blades are engineered to be quiet when they’re spun ‘normally’. When rewired to be pushers, they have a noticeable howl when both fans are on and at their most efficient. It’s only when the car gets to full temp that they go wide open. Cooling wise? They’re beyond perfect. Sound wise? <Dave hisses softly through his teeth> a bit much…

Some guys responded when I first said I had my fans as pushers, “I heard ya can’t do that”.
Now, keep in mind, I don’t have A/C so I did take out the condenser, which is why I have the room for it all…

Here’s the radiator to turbo clearance

Fans and bracket in place in front of the radiator…

Fans and bracket in place in front of the radiator. Front view…

Radiator shroud in place
Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 PM

Re: Pics of my stock fans as pushers - LT1 Fbody 4th Gen Turbo car...

nice works. wish i would of done that instead of moving my lower radiator support forward and standing the radiator up some. i got lots of clearance, but lit was alot of work, and still have some more to do lol.