Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Need boost advice for 383 with currenty 12:1 CR - which pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM

Need boost advice for 383 with currenty 12:1 CR - which pistons

I may be getting a deal that I cannot pass up on a PROCHARGER. I currently do not know what "kit" it is or if it has a intercooler/aftercooler, the guy said it comes with a FMU and an 8lb pulley. - that's all I know.

I read a couple pages of the sticky, and the information there is great, a little general, but still good! I have not purchased anything yet, and I don't have the luxury of buying any kit I want at this price, so I'm stuck with the one that is for sale.

That said. My car is great already, but I've got the speed itch again, and i haven't done anything to it in a few years. it was already running low 12s, and I'm hoping to add significant horsepower. The car is as follows

stock block .030 over, clearanced for stroker rotating assembly, 5.7" rods, 2 bolt main, SCAT cast crank, speed pro hyp. flat top pisonts, fel-pro 1074 head gaskets, ARP head bolts, stock heads (milled .010"), with an excellent port job (did not touch the combustion chamber though), manley race-flo valves but with a nearly stock size. i think 2.00" and 1.55" if i recall correctly. Comp cams pro mag RRs (1.5), GM 847 cam, 58mm throttle body. It was estimated years ago when i did the motor about 25,000 miles ago, that based on my pistons and the head gaskets, my CR was about 12:1

The rest of the car is set up nice for a street/strip car. t56 with a SPEC stage 3 clutch, heavy duty drive shaft, moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles 4.11 gears. weld in sub frame connectors, walbro 255 pump, 36lb ford fuel injectors. adjustable fuel pressure regulator, tubular lower control arms - panhard bar - and torque arm, lower control arm relocation brackets. pacesetter longtubes, no cats, borla cat back, no emissions stuff on the car.

Ok, I think that about covers it. Being that my car is already pretty heavily modded, F.I. is sort of the next step in taking my car to the next level. I don't know much about FI, but I am thinking that my CR is the biggest issue here. I'm thinking that if get some Forged and heavily DISHED pistons, that I can get my CR down a bunch. I may have to upgrade my Injectors a little more, and go with splayed 4 bolt mains?? the best bet would be a whole forged rotating assembly, but I'd rather not if I can help it. This car was driven about 5 or 6 times last year, I never even got to wash it. So it's not like this is a daily driver. If someone says that the motor is only going to last me 25,000 miles, well that will probably be about 6 years or more. I want to build it conservative and safe, with gobs of power.

I think the car can handle FI, if I address the motor issues, the rest of the car is already built up to handle most of it. What are your opinons? Can I get away with some new pistons? I'd hate to have to get rid of my heads, have over $1500 into them. I probably will need a different cam also, as I'm sure this cam is not a great choice for boosted applications.

Thanks in advance, and if it doesn't work out, well then I'll pass on the whole thing. Just trying to get a little closer to my dream.

Last edited by dbusch22; 02-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM

Re: Need boost advice for 383 with currenty 12:1 CR - which pistons

You have a nice setup and a pretty good handle on what you need to do. Lower compression and forged pistons are needed and you may need more fuel pump and larger injectors. The FMUs are hard to tune for, so you may just want to go with a better fuel system like I already mentioned. You may want to think about some kind of intercooling or after cooling (like meth/water). I'm not sure about a scat cast crank, the stock crank might be tougher than that. The better cranks allow the radiused bearings which are an improvement over stock. Rods don't usually break from compression strokes of FI engines, they usually have trouble with high rpms, but not sure what you are running there. Your cam probably isn't right. You're going to go through a lot of fuss to get it right. You might be better off going with a good nitrous system for all you're ever going to run it. And you don't even know what all the procharger kit is yet.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 AM

I noticed that you also live in wisconsin. where abouts are ya?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Here's my .02 cents. You've got a lot of stuff done. If you are considering going boosted, at minimal you will need the blower, some forged pistons, bigger injectors, and a second 255 lph fuel pump. Of which, I would also highly reccomend meth injection, and a good sized FMIC. If you are going to do all that, you really should just go ahead and do it right by getting a forged crank, and some better rods as well, as well as upgrade to some 4 bolt mains, and will probably require a double roller timing chain.

Its all about risk. Your going to have a lot invested even if you do the minimum here. Why risk having it blow the engine when just a little more would have done it where it would have been totally safe? Thats my mentality.

I see too many guys trying to go cheap, still spending thousands all to grenade everything before they are due for the next oil change. Trust me. Take the time, save the money, do it right, and enjoy having an FI monster for years without dealing with it blowing up on you.