Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Finally dyno'd my Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM

Finally dyno'd my Camaro.

537rwhp and 566 rwtq. Overall I'm pretty happy even though the numbers are kinda low for my setup, I never thought I would own a car with this much power

There are a few things that I think are holding me back.

1. Stock throttle body and intake, would like to go with single plane someday.

2. The shop in Cheyenne where I had it dyno'd has only had the dyno for a couple of months and they didn't have a fan to put in front of the car, so basically it would be like running an un-intercooled setup right?

3. I've done a lot of tuning on the car, but only in the low rpms so it would be nice to drive around. It's only running 15 degrees timing and is pretty rich I should have done a log on the run, but I plan on booking some tuning time once I learn how to tune a fi car at wot.

4. The setup should handle more that the 14 psi that it's at. I'm going to order some waste gate springs someday.

There was also a 2006(i think) Z06 that dyno'd right after me and did 520 hp. It had the Lingenfelter kit with heads/cam, longtubes, and exhaust. The guy that owned the Z06 also had a 2010 Ford F-250 Powerstroke with twin turbos and a bunch of other mods, it was putting down 960rwhp

Here is my buddies crappy cell phone video. They actually let me drive it on the dyno. You will see some blue smoke which I'm pretty sure is a combination of being rich and burning a little oil.
[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1335& transactionid=1309647009-17425317738&posted_by=Jameslt1TA_www.camaroz28.com &youtube_video_id=L3bwYYommlY[/autostream]

Name:  IMG_20110701_143959.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  56.4 KB
Old 07-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Re: Finally dyno'd my Camaro.

more details on the build would be great
either way good job!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Also how high did you spin it? I would the think the turbo 355 would like the very high revs. It would be nice to have a hp/tq vs RPM graph instead of mph...

But I agree with some tweaking looks like you'll have a beast!!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 PM

Don't get down over dyno numbers- the same car can read completely different on dynos- even the same 'brand'. There is no industry standard to calibrate them. Injuneer has posted an article that proves the inconsistencies...

All that matters is you are happy and the car is running strong...don't rely completely on dyno-queen numbers.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not too overly concerned with dyno numbers, I just wanted some proof that it is running as strong as I think it is, also wanted to quiet a few people at work that thinks it is no where near 500rwhp. I'm spinning it to 6k, I dont really want to go much higher just for safety. The previous owner didnt have any fuel maps past 6k either, so I don't think I could spin it higher just by raising the rev limiter.

Setup details
Garrett GT-42 76 mm
Custom headers for front mount turbo
44 mm tial wastegate
tial blow-off valve
Large ebay intercooler
Automotive Performance Engineering (APE) 355cu LT1 forged short block
Splayed 4 bolt main caps
Eagle 4340 crank
Eagle H-beam rods
-22cc dished Diamond Pistons
Total Seal rings
AFR 210 CNC comp heads
1.6 Comp Cams Magnum Rockers
Comp 224/224 cam
Comp Cam pushrods
Melings blueprinted high volume oil pump
Canton Road race pan
LT4 intake manifold
stock LT1 throttle body
ARP head studs
ARP rod bolts
Polished GM performance Chevrolet valve covers
GM Performance Parts LT4 heavy duty timing chain and gears
Solid motor mounts

F.a.s.t C-com
75 lb injectors
MSD 6al-2
twin walbros with 4 psi hobbs for 2nd pump

T-56 with spec stage 4 clutch
Stock driveshaft
QP Ford 9 inch with 4.30 gears, the gears need swapped out, the only reason I'm running them is because I got a good deal on the 9in.

Thats most of it I think. Do any of you know how much not having a fan in front of the car while it was making the run would hurt me?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 AM

Not a lot unless you made a bunch of back to back runs- once your intercooler is heat soaked it does nothing except add a little resistance...but when running high boost even a huge fan can't keep the intercooler temps down...

Easiest way would be check your air intake temps if you have a way to monitor them-
Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 AM

Oh no lol your printout is plotted against mph instead of rpm. Do you have one with rpm?

What is your compression ratio?
I wouldn't bother with a new throttle body (or intake). I'm running the stock throttle body and I have no doubts the engine will still make over 700hp on <15psi.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 07-04-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 AM

I forgot to get one with rpm instead of mph. Compression is around 8.5:1.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 AM

How do you like that spec stage 4? Is it too much to handle for a daily driver?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jameslt1TA
I forgot to get one with rpm instead of mph.

The graphs for hp/tq also don't look very smooth. What type of ignition are you running? I looked through the list of mods but you didn't mention anything.. Are you still running an optispark?

If you look at the graph there seems to be a huge spike at the end of the tq curve so 566 tq is not an acurate number. The hp/tq curves seem to peak at the same level so 530-540 torque is probably more accurate imo
Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Like I mentioned on ls1tech... 15 degrees of timing is way low for 14psi (especially with that low of CR).
Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by onefastmx5
How do you like that spec stage 4? Is it too much to handle for a daily driver?
I drove my 94z with a Spec IV for a couple years. Perfectly fine for the street. Only problem was when I drove regular vehicles with stock clutches. I was at a loss how to drive them again Its one tough clutch for the $$$
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 AM

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer questions. As for the ignition, it's a delphi optispark with a msd 6al w/ a 2-step. And the Spec stage 4 is great on the street, I don't daily drive the car, but it would be fine if I did. The only thing that sucks on the street is running a spool, slicks & skinnies, and no power steering, lol u-turns are almost impossible.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM

yeah from what ive read it seems yer heads are likely on the lrg side for this setup, as well as low timing, and the compression isnt really helping for that low of boost. Get the boost up and a tad more timing and I think youll have a monster on yer hands
Old 08-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by blown94
yeah from what ive read it seems yer heads are likely on the lrg side for this setup, as well as low timing, and the compression isnt really helping for that low of boost. Get the boost up and a tad more timing and I think youll have a monster on yer hands
Any idea on how much boost I could run?

Realquick, you said I could run up to 26 degrees on ls1tech I think. I'm going to assume thats just for 14 psi though. Would it be ok if I pm'd you my timing table someday, whenever I get around to working on the car again. I would like for you to look at it and let me know how you would set it up, as I'm very new to tuning and really don't want to blow it up. Thanks

Quick Reply: Finally dyno'd my Camaro.