Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

D1SC air inlet options - LT1 need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 PM

D1SC air inlet options - LT1 need help/advice

OK, so I bought an LT1 383 donor car with a twin intercooled D1sc. removing it all cuz the car it was in was kind of junky, and I'm putting it in my show-condition 94 trans am.

For starters I really don't like the placement/fitment of all the rubber hoses, metal elbows, and everything. It's cluttered and feels like it was all made out of spare parts.

To add to the crappiness, someone custom made an inlet piece, looks to be 4" I think they had the right idea, but it doesn't fit well, it's completely rubbed through the accordian looking boot on the drivers side inner tie rod on the rack/pinion.

I've heard bad things about the factory one that comes with a new ATI kit, that they're like an orange rubber and they tend to collapse under heavy boost due to a strong suction.

So, what are my options? I guess I wouldn't mind trying to custom build/weld something myself, so long as someone maybe can direct me to a site that has some universal elbows/bends, etc. so that I can buy some stock to start with.

and/or should I ditch all this and get the front mount single intercooler, I'm honestly not a fan of these twin intercoolers with their lame little mud-flaps hanging off the bottom.

I've seen people use the front mount intercooler, and then cut out their license plate portion of the front bumper, which is NOT an option for me as my state requires a front plate.

I should also mention, that my front clip is from a LS1 WS6 car.

tips, advice, help from people who have been there/ done that

thanks!

Name:  IMG_20150310_160053709_zpsdrpahvuv.jpg
Views: 6556
Size:  227.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20150310_160042795_zpsoifh9mrd.jpg
Views: 6640
Size:  207.1 KB
Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 PM

Re: D1SC air inlet options - LT1 need help/advice

Yep, plumbing always a problem with the F_body and Procharger. I recc a welder, 3" pipe and a cut-off saw. Do it yourself. Rubber and flex tube does not do it. I run a F1A and 383 MM6 Camaro. I do all my own plumbing. B.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:18 AM

Well there's a first. I've honestly never seen anyone use an exhaust clamp on a blower inlet before.

As far as options go...

1. Build (or pay someone else to build) a new inlet.

2. Check with a vendor (Bob @ Brute Speed is good) about one of ATI's cobra head inlets and get some good pipe & silicone connectors to connect it to the air filter.

Front mount intercoolers usually work better than the dual intercoolers. Just depends on your budget. ATI makes a good one. The ebay 24x12x4 works well. If you want to get pricey check with Bell for a vertical flow.

As far as the tag goes, you could always move it to the side. My friend Jim does it on his LT1 car.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 06-06-2015, 08:27 AM

I was seeing a touch over 700rwhp (dynojet) with the ATI hard plastic inlet with a F1A setup I purchased. I'm sure it was not the ideal inlet but seemed to do the job without much hassle. I've since switched to a fabbed elbow to feed the head unit a bit more air. If you aren't going for huge power, no reason why the plastic piece they sell wouldn't do the job.