Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #1

Why are Oakleys so expensive?

I'd like to buy a decent pair of sunglasses, I had a $12 pair from Dick's sporting goods that was actually polarized. They broke in half, so I figured i'd buy something decent.

I went on the Bolle website to locate dealers, but in reality none of the stores shown actually carry name brand sunglasses.

I ended up at Sunglass Hut in the mall, as it was the only place I could possibly find. Oakleys that were polarized were $175+ and many pairs were $300+. I held them, and they feel... well... like $2 plastic. Is there really any reason that these are so expensive? Are they really 10x better then my old ones? What the crap!

This doesn't just go for sunglasses, i feel the same about all these products people buy, Coach, Armani, Prada, Burburry. Aside from paying for a name, do these products actually do ANYTHING better then their competition?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
thelemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Why are Oakleys so expensive?

They are a big POS and overrated! In my opinion.
MENEGRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Classic Tech Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Erik

I usually buy Oalkeys. They're the only sunglasses I've found that block enough wind well when riding and fit comfortable under my helmet. One pair usually lasts me 4 years. My current pair is just about done, so I'll be buying new ones next year.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelemur
I'd like to buy a decent pair of sunglasses, I had a $12 pair from Dick's sporting goods that was actually polarized. They broke in half, so I figured i'd buy something decent.

I went on the Bolle website to locate dealers, but in reality none of the stores shown actually carry name brand sunglasses.

I ended up at Sunglass Hut in the mall, as it was the only place I could possibly find. Oakleys that were polarized were $175+ and many pairs were $300+. I held them, and they feel... well... like $2 plastic. Is there really any reason that these are so expensive? Are they really 10x better then my old ones? What the crap!

This doesn't just go for sunglasses, i feel the same about all these products people buy, Coach, Armani, Prada, Burburry. Aside from paying for a name, do these products actually do ANYTHING better then their competition?
I bought a $14 pair of polarized sunglasses from that swap meet looking stand in the mall and they broke too
Originally Posted by standard235 View Post
Cars don't suck dick.
/thread
beeker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
dtp

Ya, I sometimes wonder how all these sunglass hut stores down here stay in business when there's people outside selling shades for 10 bucks a piece. I guess when I go blind at 40 I'll say "Damn, should've bought the oakelys, but I was a cheap skate and wouldn't shell out the 300..."

Actually, I thought just about anything that blocks the light protects you against most of the bad rays, but then commercials for the 'good' shades say the cheaper glasses make your pupils dialate exposing you to more bad rays...
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #6

I dont get why people spend that kinda money on things they wear. My friends brother who is a ex-con bought jeans for $275.00 dollars. He acted like he was cool. Hell, his car is like worth 300 dollars. Some people are dumb as hell!
NavyBlueFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
but then commercials for the 'good' shades say the cheaper glasses make your pupils dialate exposing you to more bad rays...
I have my doubts. My current sunglasses cost me about $4 and whenever I am out on my boat for any stretch of time, my whole face is burned. Except the part covered by the sunglasses. What does that mean? UV rays aren't getting through.

2013 Mustang RS3
Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to BlackIsSecksee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelemur

not really, but after working in retail for awhile I have come to realize in most cases people are buying the product for the brand not so much the actual product. (Mostly noticeable in females)

I could never figure out for the life of me why people would pay $400 for a handbag, but if it has the word coach on it, its worth it in their opinion. It's a status thing, it has nothing to do with quality or it being better then the cheaper handbag that looks exactly like it down the isle.

If I were to spend a good chunk of change on something it would either be the car or when I get my own place spend it on home decor. But i spend probably at most $20 for things like sunglasses and purses. I just don't value those kind of things like some other women might.

[J3ff] 8:02 pm: I have a 21 year old sister, i see what she posts on facebook, very riske
[BlackIsSecksee] 8:02 pm: you look at riske pics of your sister?!
BlackIsSecksee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
dtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty
I have my doubts. My current sunglasses cost me about $4 and whenever I am out on my boat for any stretch of time, my whole face is burned. Except the part covered by the sunglasses. What does that mean? UV rays aren't getting through.

Exactly. I once owned some Oakley's (I think they were called gator skins for some odd reason). Ya, they looked cool, but scratched like normal glasses and I lost them skiing, 100 bucks down the drain. Now I just get the 10 buck ripoffs and if I lose one, oh well...
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #10

I can easily tell a difference between cheap sunglasses and better name brand stuff. The name brand stuff will usually have better clarity, be lighter weight, and perhaps most importantly fit and stay in place much better. Once you've worn good glasses for a while, you CAN'T go back. One time i forgot my sunglasses when my friend drove to the beach so i bought some knock-offs to get me through the weeend, and my god did they suck for all the reasons listed above. Their was distortion around the edges and they simply wouldn't stay on my face at all, and they were uncomfortable from too much pressure in the wrong places on the sides of my head.

Then there's also the UV considerations, which cheap sunglasses might not effectively block.

04 GTO Red/Black M6 - 12.9 @ 110.1
notgetleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #11

i only buy Oakleys. we sell them at my work though so i can get them for cheap.
#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlueFanatic
I dont get why people spend that kinda money on things they wear. My friends brother who is a ex-con bought jeans for $275.00 dollars. He acted like he was cool. Hell, his car is like worth 300 dollars. Some people are dumb as hell!

Wear a pair of good polarized glasses for a week and than switch to a cheap pair. You'll unstead why. I hate Oakleys. Way overpriced for what you get. Not that they arent good glasses. I mean, why would you go cheap on something as important as your eyes?

You can get some good polarized belle and Arnettes for under $100. They will last you a long time. I bought a cheep pair from that barragin hunt in the mall for a float trip last month. I hated wearing them.

So of the cheaper polarized lens work as far as blocking UV rays. But they also tend to give me a headache if I wear them more than 2 hours or so.

Of course; I wouldnt suggest buying a nice pair of sunglasses if you drive a $300 car.
Evilfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #13

for me, they're the only glasses that fit my nose (i have a slight bump on my nose which raises most glasses)
not only that, but they're made of high quality 'soft' plastic, which is durable, bends enough to take my abuse, they look good, etc... i think they were a good deal as they're 5+ years old now
ianwells100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilfrog
Wear a pair of good polarized glasses for a week and than switch to a cheap pair. You'll unstead why. I hate Oakleys. Way overpriced for what you get. Not that they arent good glasses. I mean, why would you go cheap on something as important as your eyes?

You can get some good polarized belle and Arnettes for under $100. They will last you a long time. I bought a cheep pair from that barragin hunt in the mall for a float trip last month. I hated wearing them.

So of the cheaper polarized lens work as far as blocking UV rays. But they also tend to give me a headache if I wear them more than 2 hours or so.

Of course; I wouldnt suggest buying a nice pair of sunglasses if you drive a $300 car.
The $4 glasses I wear fit better than any other glasses I've ever had. I can wear them (and have) all day long.

2013 Mustang RS3
Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to BlackIsSecksee

for the ones saying they pretty much buy oakleys for the UV protection. I'm no expert but I thought UV rays can only really hurt your eyes if you were looking right into the sun and no person I know would actually do that. I could understand buying more expensive sunglasses for less/no glare, but I really wouldn't say the UV protection on the sunglasses alone is any more significant than a cheaper pair. Or at least so I thought.

[J3ff] 8:02 pm: I have a 21 year old sister, i see what she posts on facebook, very riske
[BlackIsSecksee] 8:02 pm: you look at riske pics of your sister?!
BlackIsSecksee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:38 PM

Reply Post New Thread