Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #1

Why do you feel bad the day after a night of drinking?

Why do some people feel so bad the next day after a night of drinking to the point where they waste the entire day doing nothing because they are so tired and groggy?

What chemically is happening to your body?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Indelibility
I always thought it was a hangover

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangover
Quote:
Hangovers are multi-causal. Ethanol has a dehydrating effect by causing increased urine production (such substances are known as diuretics), which causes headaches, dry mouth, and lethargy. Dehydration causes the brain to shrink away from the skull slightly.[2] This can be mitigated by drinking water or an oral electrolyte solution after consumption of alcohol. Alcohol's effect on the stomach lining can account for nausea. Because of the increased NADH production during metabolism of ethanol by the enzymes alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase, excess NADH can build up and slow down gluconeogenesis in the liver, thus causing hypoglycemia.

Another factor contributing to a hangover are the products from the breakdown of ethanol via liver enzymes. Ethanol is converted to acetaldehyde by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase, and then from acetaldehyde to acetic acid by the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. Acetaldehyde (ethanal) is mildly toxic, contributing to hangover. These two reactions also require the conversion of NAD+ to NADH. With an excess of NADH, the lactate dehydrogenase reaction is driven to produce lactate from pyruvate (the end product of glycolysis) in order to regenerate NAD+ and sustain life. This diverts pyruvate from other pathways such as gluconeogenesis, thereby impairing the ability of the liver to supply glucose to tissues, especially the brain. Because glucose is the primary energy source of the brain, this lack of glucose contributes to hangover symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, mood disturbances, and decreased attention and concentration.

There are various nervous system effects: the removal of the depressive effects of alcohol in the brain probably account for the light and noise sensitivity.

In addition, it is thought that the presence of other alcohols (such as fusel oils), by-products of the alcoholic fermentation also called congeners, exaggerate many of the symptoms (cogeners may also be zinc or other metals added primarily to sweet liqueurs to enhance their flavor); this probably accounts for the mitigation of the effects when distilled alcohol, particularly vodka, is consumed instead[citation needed].

The amount of congeners in the drink may also have an effect. Red wines have more congeners than white wines, and some people note less of a hangover with white wine. Some individuals have a strong negative reaction to red wine, distinct from hangover, called red wine headache that can affect them within 15 minutes after drinking a single glass of red wine. The headache is usually accompanied by nausea and flushing[citation needed].

In alcohol metabolism, one molecule of ethanol (the primary active ingredient in alcoholic beverages) produces 2 molecules of NADH, utilizing vitamin B12 as a coenzyme. Over-consumption of ethanol may cause vitamin B12 deficiency as well
Indelibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Banned

Send a message via AIM to shock6906
Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
1. You've been up all night running around acting dumb. If you stay up till 3AM and have to get up at 7:00AM, you'll feel like crap because you're tired.

2. You're dehydrated as hell. Also you've got all that booze in your stomach, making you sick.

3. Icing on the cake, you have a headache from all the loud music, cigarette smoke, etc.
Pretty much sums it up right there. I'd say one of the biggest problems is that when people drink alcohol, they rarely drink any hydrating fluids and that plays hell on your body.
shock6906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #4

Oh, you're talking hangover. When I read the title I thought you were talking about feeling bad about rubbing one out into the hair of the passed out chick sleeping next to you that said "No".

B
96SSConv#2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #5

The main reason is that you're severely dehydrated. Alcohol is a diuretic and you lose a lot of fluids while drinking it. If you also factor in just how MUCH alcohol you consume in one night to get wasted, you get an idea of why you get so dehydrated.

I personally HATE feeling like that: headache, upset stomach, severe thirst, dirty, etc. You are also usually smoking/drinking all night and forget to brush your teeth before bed, so when you wake up it's like 100 people just took a sh*t in your mouth.

If I go out for just one night of drinking now, it takes me the entire following week to just recover from it. Screw that.... I'm too old for that sh*t.
jread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #6

BEST advice and it WORKS !

Take 2 advil or similar BEFORE going to bed that night, no headache next day
CACTUSKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUSKID View Post
BEST advice and it WORKS !

Take 2 advil or similar BEFORE going to bed that night, no headache next day
But isn't there a rule or something that you shouldn't take medication with alcohol
Old 05-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to mdenz3
You're just a *****, suck it up.
AADD: Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by notstock4long View Post
Holy **** you are stupid.
mdenz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by micfly83 View Post
But isn't there a rule or something that you shouldn't take medication with alcohol
what over the counter ? LOL
CACTUSKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #10

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 6SpdLT1Z
It's called a hangover. Jesus.
1997 Camaro SS #2703/2892 - LTs, 3" ORY, 2OTL, BBK 52mm, K&N, LCAs, Suspension
2004 Silverado Z71 - Summit White, CCSB, 285's, Leveled, Tint
2000 Honda CR250 - FMF Pipe, Renthal Bars, Barkbusters
6SpdLT1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SSConv#2033 View Post
Oh, you're talking hangover. When I read the title I thought you were talking about feeling bad about rubbing one out into the hair of the passed out chick sleeping next to you that said "No".

B
No video,no problem.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #12

Mixing Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Alcohol can cause HUGE negative permanent effects on your liver. Do not do this. Look it up.

Dan
13.40@ 105.5, 2.15 60'
stereomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to My Red 93Z-28
step 1: come home from the bar
step 2: drink 20 oz. gatorade
step 3: go to bed
step 4: *****
step 5: Profit...no hangover in the morning

RIP Daniel Wheldon
My Red 93Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #14

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bayer-Z28 Send a message via MSN to Bayer-Z28 Send a message via Yahoo to Bayer-Z28
^ Or a V8 before and after you drink, or a Centrum pill before and after and a tall glass of water before you turn in..

It's either regret, which can be associated with alcoholism...

OR

Dehydration, diminished vitamins and nutrition in your body due to excessive alcohol consumption..
2008 VW .:R32 #1511 aFe intake, TLC and a new tensioner. XD
Listen to the CamaroZ28.com Podcast!!

Bayer-Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #15

pedialyte!!

'02 Frontier CCLB----------
'00 Montero 4WD

fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Reply Post New Thread