Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 12:24 AM   #31

Re: When is it going to cool off in Texas?

i think it's probably in the 60's here now. i'm too lazy to go check.

we had a serious hot streak for awhile where it was hitting 110+ (hit 116 in Lafayette, i lived there for 24 years and it usually broke 100 a few days a year). that sucked big time, the a/c couldn't even keep up.

i went over to my friend's house for some reason when it was 112 out. they had rolling blackouts going on so there wasnt't any way to keep cool at her place. that was bad. i don't remember the last time that i sweated so much just sitting in a chair doing nothing.

i'm liking the weather here in the Bay Area now. high 70s to low 80s during the day and cool nights. it's great.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #32

I was outside most of the day in 102 degree heat in Ft. Worth the other day. Some storm clouds rolled in, and it felt nice and cool. I looked at the thermometer and it was still 90 degrees

12.66 at 112 mph (3,000 ft. density altitude)
Jim S. '95 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 AM   #33

I love the heat, hate the cold. Anything below 60 is almost unbearable to me. I'll take 100 over 50 any day. Once you get out in the heat, you will get used to it, and even if you don't, why let that keep you from having fun?
87 300zx turbo race car (8k+ track miles) (Chumpcar)
94307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94307
Once you get out in the heat, you will get used to it, and even if you don't, why let that keep you from having fun?
I hate it when I drip sweat on my car as I dry it after washing it.
Murdock: A bobby pin? What the hell is the man doing with a bobby pin?
gun4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to Josh'95Z28conv Send a message via MSN to Josh'95Z28conv Send a message via Yahoo to Josh'95Z28conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun4hire
I hate it when I drip sweat on my car as I dry it after washing it.
I hate that. And Ive been dripping sweat into my engine as I put the top end together too
Eagle 4340 3.75 crank, Eagle 4340 H beam rods, SRP pistons, Perfect Circle rings, Callies splayed 4 bolt main caps, Moroso pan, ATI Dampner, MSD coil, Taylor OVC wires, CSR EWP, Cloyes Double roller, Morel lifters, Baur custom cam, LE3 Heads, LE Ported intake, Holley 58MM TB, 42# injectors, Crower offset RR's, K&N CAI, Spec 4, Built T56, Pro 5.0, Hooker LT's, Flowmaster Thanks to VRE
Josh'95Z28conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #36

Texans complain about the weather too much. Where else can you have 100 degree heat and lush green grass everywhere you go because it rains all the time in the summer?

Arizona feels good, but I can't take the ugly brown scenery. Besides, that dry air isn't doing anything good for your skin.

To me, the temperature doesn't really make a difference. It's whether the sun is out or not. I'm hotter in the sun in March than I am in the shade in August. That's probably due to my skin being so light though. I get a sunburn making toast in the morning.

Honestly though, the majority of Texans don't know what unbearable heat is. Yes, I said it. They don't. Air conditioned homes, jobs, cars, shopping centers, restaurants, etc. Plus if you don't have A/C or yours breaks, it's easy to find and cheap to buy. Now go live in a northern state when it's 94 degrees and you have no A/C at home/car/job and then see how you like things. Want to buy some? Every store is sold out and won't have more for months. I asked Home Depot in June one time when they were going to get more air conditioners....September. What if you ordered one....You could but it will still get here in September.

When the thermometer in your home in TX reads 75 instead of 70 beacause it's hot outside, that's not all that bad. You can still sleep easily at night. You don't have mosquitos to deal with because unlike in the north, you don't have every window and door open. (Yes screens help, but they always seem to get in somehow)

Tint your car and get some good A/C running through it and you'll do fine in Texas. Austin feels like Phoenix after you've been in Houston for awhile anyways. Dry and nice to walk around in.

I've been in heatwaves so bad, I couldn't even understand my email. I'd read it to myself 3 times in a row but just couldn't make out what the message was saying. So hot at night, you can't get to sleep before 1AM (and the alarm goes off at 4:15AM) Sleeping during the afternoon is futile. You try gettingy by on 3 hours sleep a night for a few weeks while experiencing heat during the day. Driving a car that's on average 120-130 inside.

Summer is the best time in Texas....because it's so cool and comfortable.

Last edited by Gord's Green Z28; 08-28-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Gord's Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to Josh'95Z28conv Send a message via MSN to Josh'95Z28conv Send a message via Yahoo to Josh'95Z28conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord's Green Z28
Texans complain about the weather too much. Where else can you have 100 degree heat and lush green grass everywhere you go because it rains all the time in the summer?
You havnt been to southern Texas in a while have you. It hasnt rained here since July 1st. There are watering restrictions, and most lawns are brown and dead. I also work outdoors in the heat every god damn day. I can and will bitch about the heat
Eagle 4340 3.75 crank, Eagle 4340 H beam rods, SRP pistons, Perfect Circle rings, Callies splayed 4 bolt main caps, Moroso pan, ATI Dampner, MSD coil, Taylor OVC wires, CSR EWP, Cloyes Double roller, Morel lifters, Baur custom cam, LE3 Heads, LE Ported intake, Holley 58MM TB, 42# injectors, Crower offset RR's, K&N CAI, Spec 4, Built T56, Pro 5.0, Hooker LT's, Flowmaster Thanks to VRE
Josh'95Z28conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:50 AM   #38

Weren't you saying your Dodge truck has air conditioning that's too cold?
Gord's Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:39 AM   #39

Gord, you can't leave any window or door open or you will never get your house to cool back off.

My A/C struggles to keep the house at 78 during the day because its over 100 outside with the heat index. Heck, it doesn't even get below the 80's here at night. Mosquitoes seem to have their happy time in the spring and fall, so we get some - just not the jumbo variety since there just isn't enough rain. Almost every yard down my street is brown, and those that aren't have owners who water them nightly which is a violation of the current water restrictions. Walk to the mailbox and back and you are already sweating. My children often have P.E. in the air conditioned gym because they will get heat stroke outside.

Sure, I can see where it gets pretty bad up north with no A/C for a couple weeks a year - but our summers usually last about - what - 6 months???? Of course we have A/C because without it east and south Texas would be unbearable to live in.
Murdock: A bobby pin? What the hell is the man doing with a bobby pin?

Last edited by gun4hire; 08-29-2006 at 03:44 AM.
gun4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord's Green Z28
Tell that to my once beautiful lush green St. Augustine lawn that now is burning because of the lack of rain and searing sun.

Austin might not be like Houston when it comes to humidity, but it still ain't no picnic.

And if you think we Texans complain about the weather too much, let's just wait until March when the northerners are complaining about how they still can't take out their nice cars because of the snow. lol
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #41

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo

And if you think we Texans complain about the weather too much, let's just wait until March when the northerners are complaining about how they still can't take out their nice cars because of the snow. lol

AMEN!!!

Seriously though, that's exactly why I hate FL is because of the humidity. Obviously we have cars and homes that keep us cool, but it's a PITA when you walk outside your apartment and down 3 flights of stairs and by the time you're in your car you're dripping sweat! It's exactly why I don't do much outside in the summer, it's just miserable. I don't mind it if I'm going to be in the water, but even then when it gets really hot(above 105) it's still miserable in the water.

So that's exactly why I will be moving north as soon as it's possible. I like the cold much more than the heat. At least when you're cold you can bundle up. When you're hot you can't get any cooler, especially if you're at work. Co-workers and employers tend to not like you to be naked on the job, unless you're a **** star.
Camride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #42

Quote:
Tell that to my once beautiful lush green St. Augustine lawn that now is burning because of the lack of rain and searing sun.
A ha! I knew that stuff wasn't invincible, even for the only person in Central Texas that likes St. Augustine!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. '95 Z28
A ha! I knew that stuff wasn't invincible, even for the only person in Central Texas that likes St. Augustine!
Even in its current state it looks better than bermuda grass. In fact all the lawns in my neighborhood with bermuda look much worse except for the one that gets watered almost daily. I've still only been watering like once a week to 3 times every 2 weeks. St. Augustine FTW! lol
Old 08-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Even in its current state it looks better than bermuda grass. In fact all the lawns in my neighborhood with bermuda look much worse except for the one that gets watered almost daily. I've still only been watering like once a week to 3 times every 2 weeks. St. Augustine FTW! lol
I think a truck with Miracle Grow must have crashed in your lot and spilled all its contents on it before they built your house.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. '95 Z28
I think a truck with Miracle Grow must have crashed in your lot and spilled all its contents on it before they built your house.
Actually it looked a lot worse when we bought it as the house was vacant for like 9 months and the previous owners didn't exactly take pride in it. Backyard Before Backyard After

Our next door neighbor pays to have Scott's lawn service come out every so often and do whatever it is that they do but their lawn looks like crap compared to mine. You literally can see where their lawn ends and mine starts just by the quality between the two. lol Of course I have a sprinkler system and they don't so when they do water it's never as even.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Reply Post New Thread