Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #1

What's the difference between "Bermuda grass" and "Hybrid Bermuda grass"?

I asked my father in law and he said they put down a Bermuda hybrid grass that is Bermuda, but conditioned to take the high heat/dryness that some of our summers bring us without dying out.

So I go to Scotts.com to print out a lawncare schedule based on my zip code and grass type and it only lists Bermuda... no mention of any hybrid Bermudas.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to btchincamaro
Re: What's the difference between "Bermuda grass" and "Hybrid Bermuda grass"?

You should try that Afghani grass or the Nam grass man. Like the tied stick, you know, the kind thats tied to a stick. That Nam grass is good stuff. Thats why we lost the war man.
btchincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to StngStlkr

Hmmm...I don't know if Scotts sells the hybrid bermuda. It is more expensive than regular bermuda(not sure of the exact price increase, probably like 2 or 3X more). However, it grows a bit slower than regular bermuda which makes it more manageable and less "weedy". In most instances it is a bit hardier and can withstand droughts and freezes better. Sometimes though it can take longer for the hybrid strands to become established.

Here are a few of the different hybrids-Tifton, Russell, Midland, Coastal, Lancaster, Alicia, World Feeder and Vaughn.
Go Gators, 'Phins and 'Stros
StngStlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StngStlkr
Hmmm...I don't know if Scotts sells the hybrid bermuda. It is more expensive than regular bermuda(not sure of the exact price increase, probably like 2 or 3X more). However, it grows a bit slower than regular bermuda which makes it more manageable and less "weedy". In most instances it is a bit hardier and can withstand droughts and freezes better. Sometimes though it can take longer for the hybrid strands to become established.

Here are a few of the different hybrids-Tifton, Russell, Midland, Coastal, Lancaster, Alicia, World Feeder and Vaughn.
I have no idea how I'd know which of the hybrids I have, but I don't want the seed. I just want to know how to fertilize it and maintain it. Do the same basic rules and times of the year for applications that apply for my area w/ Burmuda also apply to Bermuda hybrids?
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to StngStlkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx
I have no idea how I'd know which of the hybrids I have, but I don't want the seed. I just want to know how to fertilize it and maintain it. Do the same basic rules and times of the year for applications that apply for my area w/ Burmuda also apply to Bermuda hybrids?
Ah ok, I misread that first post. I thought you were looking to get some hybrid bermuda to put down.

I think the lawncare schedule should be the same. The difference between the regular and hybrid is that the hybrid is hardier, and in many instances it's a higher "yield" which makes it ideal for pasture land and in hay production. However, you aren't really concerned with that...lol.

Here's a little info about some of the hybrid bermuda grass that Greg Norman's company produces. Keep in mind though that this is one of the top hybrids available, and these directions are more for applications in parks, and on golf courses or sports fields(pretty strict regime).

ESTABLISHMENT & MAINTENANCE

WATERING: To avoid drying out and enable the new sod to root down, newly planted GN-1 should be watered daily and kept wet during the first 7-10 days. Once the new sod has rooted into the soil, watering frequency should be reduced. Due to varying soil and climate conditions, it is difficult to recommend a definite watering schedule. However, a deep soaking every 5-7 days is generally adequate during the growing season. Desert environments may require more frequent deep waterings.

MOWING: GN-1 should be mowed weekly during the growing season with a reel mower. Clippings are best removed. It should be mowed to a height of 1/2 to 1 inch. Avoid scalping.

FERTILIZATION: To maintain its beauty, color, and density, GN-1 is best fertilized during the fall, early winter, and spring using 3/4 pound of nitrogen per application per 1,000 square feet of lawn. Read and follow all instructions regarding fertilizer use and application.

WEED, INSECT AND DISEASE CONTROL: GN-1 is virtually free of weeds, insects, and disease when it is delivered. However, in some installations, weed and insect problems may occur from close proximity to neighboring lawns having these problems. Various cultural practices may be used to reduce these problems. However, should chemical controls be required, they should be used in accordance with the written instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Go Gators, 'Phins and 'Stros

Last edited by StngStlkr; 02-16-2005 at 01:51 PM.
StngStlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JEDCamino

My parents have Bermuda grass in front yard. It turns completely brown during the winter and it takes longer for it to become green in the Spring, but at the end of Summer when everyone else's lawns look horrible their's is nice, thick, dark green. Just make sure you don't cut it very short. It seems to do the best when it's 3 or 4 inches long.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by btchincamaro
You should try that Afghani grass or the Nam grass man. Like the tied stick, you know, the kind thats tied to a stick. That Nam grass is good stuff. Thats why we lost the war man.
I partied with him a few years ago He's a funny dude.
Mikey97Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
A hybrid is in reality just a different variety that has been bred for certain desirable characteristics such as winter hardiness, disease resistance, etc. Usually for golf courses, sports fields, etc. Other than a few exceptions the care and maintenance are the same.
If you want to save some money, stay away from the Scott's stuff. Go to your nearest Southern States or Farm type store that sells fertilizer and buy straight Urea(46-0-0) fertilizer. Apply enough to give about 1 to 2 lbs of nitrogen per 1000sq.ft. Do this once around May/June(whichever is around the initial green-up) and again in July/August. Be sure to do this before a rain or water it in with a sprinkler.
KY95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Reply Post New Thread