Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #1

Garage
Unhappy So my cat is having surgery

This sucks. This cat is like our baby.

Basically, last thursday he ate a piece of ribbon my wife was using to wrap a gift. Now we weren't all that concerned because he's eaten stuff before(paperclips, rubber bands, etc) and has been fine, he always passes it. But evidently ribbon/string is especially dangerous. He had it in him for 5 days and was fine until yesterday. He started throwing up and getting lethargic. We took him to the emergency vet last night around 11pm and got x-rays. It didn't look too bad initially, they thought if we rehydrated him he might be able to pass it. But my wife took him in this morning and the vet said that it's very risky to wait because even if he does pass it the ribbon can tear the intestine and that could kill him. So they're going to do surgery on him this afternoon. And even the surgery isn't a guarantee.

I always thought it was ridiculous that people spend thousands on their pets to get them surgery. But when it comes down to it this cat is like our child and he's not even 2 1/2 years old. The emergency visit last night cost just under $400 and the surgery will cost between $950 and $1600.

I hope he makes it through, my wife will have a breakdown if he doesn't make it.

Here he is, for those that haven't seen him in the cat threads:

Aiden:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
Camride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Lounge Moderator

Your own experience should tell you that prayer and positive thought works wonder. I'll say a word or two for Aiden and ya'll should do the same! I think he'll make it through just fine.

p.s. Stop letting him eat everything.

"No...No, man...!@#$ no, man...I believe you'd get your *** kicked sayin' somethin' like that, man."
Repeal the 19th Amendment!
Shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #3

Garage
Believe me, we have tried but he's fast. We are going to be going through more drastic measures now though. We were careful after the paperclip incident, but now we're going to be **** about it.

Oh, and evidently it's some kind of thing that cats have when they eat random crap. My wife read about it last night, can't remember what it's called though. Basically some cats get really into playing and they just end up eating what they're playing with. He's got a bunch of toys(none of which he could swallow) but he always ends up playing with random stuff instead of the toys. We're going to have to get lids for every trashcan and make sure everything is in come kind of storage box if it can fit in his mouth.

And yeah, I'll be praying for him all day. My wife is pretty upset because she's leaving today and won't be here when they do the surgery and everything.

I'm sure he'll be fine though, he's a tough cat. He was the only one in his litter to survive, the whole lot of them had worms really bad. He pulled though when none of his brothers/sisters did so he's a fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Get a new cat. $2000 is insane to waste on something like that.
Shutup. Seriously.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
dtp

Quote:
"Sarge Billy's been shot! Should we help him, he's still alive!"
"No Maverick! Robvas says it's not worth the risk, leave him lets GTFO!!!"
"Dudes, my leg sort of hurts"
"Sorry Charles, you'd slow us down"
"Where's Rob anyway?"
"I think he's back at the base posting on CZ28.com..."

Good luck camride. Had my cat almost die a year ago due to some flu type thing but made it. I think people sometimes forget that pets are often family members. I'm sure you're cat will be fine, I've heard countless stories about pets eating stuff and having to go to the vet to get them removed and turning out fine.

Last edited by dtp; 12-26-2007 at 09:41 AM.
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #5

Garage
I hope so, he should be going into surgery in about a half hour. The vet couldn't give him better than 50/50 odds since he won't know if there's any damage until he gets in there. My wife is freaking out and she has to get on a plane in a couple hours.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mdacton
Quote:
you could buy alot of cats for that money, I don't understand how people get attached to animals.

Good luck with your cat
mdacton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Koz

Send a message via AIM to Koz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdacton View Post
you could buy alot of cats for that money, I don't understand how people get attached to animals.

Good luck with your cat
? Get a pet. It's one of the most basic, simple, pure relationships there are. How can you not understand that....

Good luck Camride, here's hoping everything turns out ok.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mdacton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz View Post
? Get a pet. It's one of the most basic, simple, pure relationships there are. How can you not understand that....
B/C I'm not an animal person......an animal is an animal to me, I don't want to go buy something that craps on my floor and tears my stuff up, no thanks.

Good luck camride jr.
mdacton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to notstock4long
Do you have to pay for the surgery if he doesn't survive?
notstock4long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notstock4long View Post
Do you have to pay for the surgery if he doesn't survive?
Yeah. I really hope that doesn't happen, that would just make a bad situation even worse. But it's one of those things that you can't look back on and think "well I just shouldn't have done the surgery". If you didn't do the surgery and he died from the ribbon then you're in the same situation wishing you had spent the money on the chance that he would have been ok.

mdacton, I understand not everyone is an animal person so I get it. For those of us that are though these animals are part of the family. You'd pretty much do anything to make sure they're ok.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #11

Good luck, we went through exactly what you you went through, except they never figured out exactly what was wrong with him they never found anything. He just kept puking, didn't eat, had a fever, had less and less energy, and was getting progressively sicker. I used to think paying for pet surgery was rediculous too...

At one point, we were even tube feeding him for a few weeks, because he was too sick to eat for himself. The vet showed us what to do, and sold us supplies so we could take care of him ourselves (else it would be very expensive for the vet to watch him, and he hated being over there)

Long story short, after a few weeks, just when were were contemplating that this can not go on much longer, he finally turned around and fully recovered.
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #12

good luck buddy
V8 Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Banned

Send a message via AIM to shock6906
I hope your cat makes it, man. I know how they can become part of the family. He looks a lot like one of my mom's cats.
shock6906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #14

Garage
Just out of curiosity... Do you have any children?

I hope your cat pulls through. We have a cat and he is part of the family but I wouldn't drop that sort of $$ on him. I'd just get a new kitten. Kittens make everyone happy.
View signature picture HERE Current Mods: SLP Ultra-Z Ramair Hood, SS Spoiler, Headers, STB, SFCs, Clutch, 160 T-Stat, 1LE swaybars, ES bushings, ZR1 Wheels, 285 Firehawk Tires, White Gauges, Hurst billet plus Shifter, Borla Catback, QTP E-Cutout, Tuned PCM, !CAGS, TB Airfoil, MSD Blaster coil, Taylor Wires, CST Leather Interior, Bose/Soundstream Audio
TraceZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceZ View Post
Just out of curiosity... Do you have any children?

I hope your cat pulls through. We have a cat and he is part of the family but I wouldn't drop that sort of $$ on him. I'd just get a new kitten. Kittens make everyone happy.
Nope, no kids. My wife is wondering how in the world she's going to be able to handle having kids after seeing her own reaction to this situation. I feel the same way, I can't imagine having my own child injured and having to wonder if they were going to make it or not.

And yes, kittens make everyone happy. But Aiden still acts like a kitten, that's why we love him so much. He's the most entertaining animal we've ever known. He's like a dog in alot of ways, always follows you around, runs up to the door when you come home, likes to play rough, etc. But he's got the cute kitten side where he'll sit there and sleep on you. You can stick him in a bag, hang him upside down and he doesn't care. He's just got the best personality for a cat that I've ever seen.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM

Reply Post New Thread