Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #1

Is it illegal to "block" your own mailbox?

I have one of the mailboxes that sits on a post at the curb in front of my house. I ask because if anything is blocking our mailbox (someone parks in front of it, trash cans, etc.) so that our mailman can't pull his truck right up next to the box and drop the mail in, he won't deliver it.

While annoying, I've tried to accomodate this guy since I moved in (in August, I'm renting). When I have to park on the street, I try to stay as far from the mailbox as I can, and I don't put trash cans in front of the box on trash day. But, our neighbor puts their trash cans in front of the mailboxes on trash day, and then the guy doesn't deliver mail to either of us.

Now, here's the part that pissed me off. I got a letter in the mail yesterday from our HOA saying that the mailman has been complaining to them about us putting trash cans in front of the boxes! And, the letter is threatening us with fines and termination of delivery service. Aside from the fact that they aren't even our cans, I find it ridiculous that HE is trying to get us in trouble because he's too lazy to get out of the truck, walk two feet, and drop the mail in our box.

So, is there a law that says you have to keep the area in front of your mailbox clear? I realize there may be something in the HOA agreement, and I plan on checking that. But I'm wondering about a federal law or something (I don't think there are any; I've never heard of it). If not, I'm going to go raise hell at the Post Office and hope this guy gets put on a different route.

Sorry that was so long...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
1996 Camaro Z28 A4 - RIP
mvnatedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #2

i had the postman get pissed for me doing that at one place i lived.
#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #3

There's no law, they'd just appreciate you keeping that area clear. I know that sometimes it's hard to do that...and the postal workers are too lazy to get out of their protective mini-jeep...
Loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #4

They probably dont get out , because if they had to do that at every house .... they could only get 1/2 of the job done ---
90' Lingenfelter ZR-1 Corvette #699
91' SYCLONE AWD mini truck #512 {FS} 75k miles
01' Dodge VIPER GTS
03' Harley Davidson F-150 #577 {FS} 28k miles
AlwaysCode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
GP Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Joe Brodman Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Brodman
My mailbox is attached to my house.

For what they charge in Postage, his *** is more than welcome to hoof it to my front door.

And here is reason #4564 why I will never, ever, EVER live under a home owners association. Ever.
04 Yamaha Raptor 660R - not stock
Joe Brodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #6

I'm not sure about a law but it's completely reasonable for them to not deliver your mail when you have your box blocked to where they'd have to get out or else pull in and back out. Think how much time they'd waste if they had to do that for everyone.
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #7

Yes. Look at section 3 here: Mail Box rules

-- VADM Rudolf Golosov of the Russian Navy
POS Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
3.1.4 Clear Approach

Customers must keep the approach to their mailboxes clear of obstructions to allow safe access for delivery. If USPS employees are impeded in reaching a mail receptacle, the postmaster may withdraw delivery service.
Doesn't specify (sp) if the "approach" to the mailbox has to be clear enough for a vehicle to approach or on foot.
Evil Lord Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #9

I'm going to side with the post guy on this one.
It's a PITA to try to drive along and get out every little bit to deliver mail.
Why do you think mailmen that deliver to house box walk the neighborhood and don't drive it.
Brakes, shifter/park, door, walk, deliver, walk, door, shifter/drive, gas
vs
brakes, open box, deliver, close box, gas
LS1/4L60 C3 Corvette
Aaron91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #10

Carriers have their routes timed. Those that deliver in areas where they are supposed to be able to drop right into a box from the LLV or that have mostly communal boxes get X amount of time. Those areas that have boxes mostly attached to homes and have to be walked get more time.

Every address in the country is on a route, walking or driving. They get audited/adjusted for times constantly.looking to make them as efficient as possible, i.e., do the most with the least. A certain amount of time is alloted, and if the carrier consistantly takes too much time, they can get a letter of warning. Many are casuals (temps) or tansitional employees. Needless to say, they want regular positions, being late on their route isn't going to help them get there.
angel71rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Beyonce Knowles
On that note, is it possible to completely opt out of USPS service? You know, like fill your box with bricks?

1995 Nissan Maxima http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/P1000262.jpg
Beyonce Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonce Knowles View Post
On that note, is it possible to completely opt out of USPS service? You know, like fill your box with bricks?
I would say just take your box down ... then deal with them knocking on your door telling you to put it back up ---
90' Lingenfelter ZR-1 Corvette #699
91' SYCLONE AWD mini truck #512 {FS} 75k miles
01' Dodge VIPER GTS
03' Harley Davidson F-150 #577 {FS} 28k miles
AlwaysCode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Camaro View Post
Yes. Look at section 3 here: Mail Box rules
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. This is why I asked before I went in there, I wanted to make sure I had a leg to stand on before I griped.

As far as the whole inconvenience thing goes, I understand that it is a PITA to have to get out at every other house. But our neighborhood has serious parking issues, because all of the homes are 3 or 4 bedroom, and none have bigger than a single-car garage. I live with two other roommates, which means that when everyone is home, one car must be in the garage, one in the driveway, and one at the curb out front. Most of the other homes on our block have the same issue, so almost every house on the street has a car parked in front of it.

Add in the trash cans on garbage day, and you see that there aren't many places to put them, especially because the trash people get mad if they are too close to a parked vehicle. The problem is further made worse by the fact that the police will ticket vehicles parked within 5 feet of a driveway entrance, even if it's your own entrance (I kid you not, it almost happened to me, and did happen to my neighbor).

So, what it boils down to is that I have to fit a 16-foot Camaro in front of a 25-foot-wide lot, and keep it more than five feet from both my driveway and my mailbox. Oh, and get the trash cans out there. So I would think that a little understanding from the mailman would be warranted...
1996 Camaro Z28 A4 - RIP
mvnatedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #14

Wow, that sucks. The dude who delivers my mail is cool as hell. Usually listening to a football game.

When you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazed into you.
soul strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
JAB

Send a message via AIM to JAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyonce Knowles View Post
You know what happened to Kramer when he tried to get rid of the mail don't you???

1970 El Camino SS 454
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM

Reply Post New Thread