Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory TSBs

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Kurt Crosbie Send a message via MSN to Kurt Crosbie Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt Crosbie
If speeding ticket is dismissed, do you still have to pay court costs?

I got a speeding ticket in Troy, NC for doing 71 in a 55. The cop said if I showed up in court he would dismiss the ticket because I so "nice". Will I still have to pay the court costs if the ticket is dismissed. I have pre-paid legal service, but I am apprehensive about using that again since he said he would dismiss the ticket.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!

facebook.com/kurtcrosbie
Kurt Crosbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #2

Depends on a judge decision, only he can waive the fee. Last time I was at court, court fees were dismissed only for elderly people and one cop's mistake. My ticket (radar detector in VA lol) was dismissed, but I paid fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Crosbie View Post
I got a speeding ticket in Troy, NC for doing 71 in a 55. The cop said if I showed up in court he would dismiss the ticket because I so "nice". Will I still have to pay the court costs if the ticket is dismissed. I have pre-paid legal service, but I am apprehensive about using that again since he said he would dismiss the ticket.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #3

in most cases you have to pay for the ability to show your innocence
LS1/4L60 C3 Corvette
Aaron91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

In my experience in NC, if the ticket is dismissed, you won't pay anything. Had it done a few times with registration/inspection violations, and once for a moving violation. Basically you walk in, talk to the DA, who'll probably consult with the officer, and then they'll dismiss it, and you'll walk out right then.

All these instances were in Wake County, so I guess the procedure might be a little different in Troy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ff View Post
I've been involved with kids my whole life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrdLockV6 View Post
you have to blow then suck
GUTTERbOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #5

I've only ever been twice, I was stupid and rolled though a stop sign and recently (a month ago) I went through a check point and didn't have my insurance card on me.

From what I understand, the court costs are "in" the ticket price. When I went for the stop sign one the judge reduced my ticket to half (first time offender) and that's all I paid. The other all I had to do was show up and provided my proof of insurance, ticket dropped, I walked out and didn't pay anything.

In your case... why didn't the cop just issue or write you a warning? That's 16 over? I have a feeling you'll get a couple points and a small fine out of this... maybe VA is different? It's a hassle for him to have to go to court, etc. Also, from what I understand, the cops can only recommend the ticket get dropped, the final decision is still up to the judge.
1967 Pontiac Firebird: New Project Car

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 08-15-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Silverado C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 View Post
In your case... why didn't the cop just issue or write you a warning?
Maybe the officer wanted to hit a middle ground between a warning and a fine.

Get a warning, you go on with your life, virtually no inconvenience. Go to court and get it dropped, now you've gotta take a half-day off work and go sit at the courthouse for an hour or more, but you get no fine. Go to court and pay it, now you're out $130 or whatever they're doing for speeding tix in NC now plus the inconvenience.

It's sort of like how they treat inspection and registration violations in NC. The officer will ticket you for them, but if you show up at court and show that the vehicle is now registered/inspected, they'll dismiss the case. Doesn't cost you anything except your time and gets you to fix the problem that caused the ticket. I think it's a pretty good way to do things, though I'll admit that I've taken advantage of it a time or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ff View Post
I've been involved with kids my whole life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrdLockV6 View Post
you have to blow then suck
GUTTERbOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #7

Should drop costs completely, otherwise it's like paying a fine because they were wrong, which IMO would be ****ing stupid.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
Depends on the court. I got a bunch of stuff nolled and still had to pay court costs. Bastards!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #9

Here in Massachusetts if you aren't guilty you don't have to pay one red cent, which is the way it should stay IMO.

Daily Driver: 2012 Nissan Murano SV AWD
Josh-'04 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Z28Roxy Send a message via Yahoo to Z28Roxy
It depends.

If the judge dismisses it, you ALMOST certainly won't have to pay anything.

However, sometimes judges will reduce tickets to non-moving violations (such as "illegal parking") which still carries a fine but no points or moving violations on your record. In this case, you'd have to pay a fine.
Z28Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Ace_437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Crosbie View Post
The cop said if I showed up in court he would dismiss the ticket because I so "nice".
I probably wouldn't get too excited about that. I had a cop tell me the same thing when I got a disturbing the peace when I was 18. He told me not to worry about it, and he'd get it dropped for me. The lying ***** never did, and I ended up paying the entire fine.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mdacton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_437 View Post
I probably wouldn't get too excited about that. I had a cop tell me the same thing when I got a disturbing the peace when I was 18. He told me not to worry about it, and he'd get it dropped for me. The lying ***** never did, and I ended up paying the entire fine.
around here they normally will reduce it to a lesser charge but they still get that $35 court cost.
mdacton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #13

Yeah, I would think that if you actually went to court you'd have to pay court costs. Even if you "win".
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mdacton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_437 View Post
Yeah, I would think that if you actually went to court you'd have to pay court costs. Even if you "win".
no if its dismissed you walk out....don't pay anything, I'm saying they hardly ever do that....

If he got 8 over...the judge would reduce it to 4 over so the ticket is less or nothing but they still have to pay court cost.

comprende ***** Fockah?
mdacton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #15

No habla engles.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 PM

Reply Post New Thread