Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to chevyman502bb
Can a cell phone provider recover deleted voice messages?

Cant say much since its for legal reasons, but can they recover deleted voice messages?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!

2002 PT Cruiser......
Quote:
Originally Posted by notgetleft View Post
So did you give him the stink palm handshake with his daughter's stink or what?
chevyman502bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #2

Possibly but I'd bet it'd take a court order to get them to do anything about it. I also bet there's a very definite retention time for deleted voicemails. Maybe a day, maybe a month but they don't last forever.
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

Could be yes, but not necessarily. Most business phone systems have a delete option for the voice mail. The delete just puts it into something similar to the recycle bin on your computer. You have to empty the recycle bin to really delete it (making an analogy, I know it isn't completely deleted in windows). The voice mail system on a cell network may have something similar.

But after a couple of weeks, I am guessing it will be permanently deleted if it wasn't permanently when you pressed the button on your phone.
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #4

Everything you have ever said, sent in a message, recieved, or even voicemails are all recorded in their data base. They have it all stored.
yungin' w/a z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungin' w/a z28 View Post
Everything you have ever said, sent in a message, recieved, or even voicemails are all recorded in their data base. They have it all stored.
They may retain voicemails but not calls - not unless the government is telling them to under the patriot act or whatever.

Otherwise, if they recorded and stored all calls in at least 12 of the 50 states all calls would have to begin with a warning that the call was being recorded. In the rest of the states it's OK to just let one of the two parties know (and this could maybe be in the contract the user signed) but in the other 12 both parties have to be informed, so you'd hear it every time you called somebody in one of those states.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
They may retain voicemails but not calls - not unless the government is telling them to under the patriot act or whatever.

Otherwise, if they recorded and stored all calls in at least 12 of the 50 states all calls would have to begin with a warning that the call was being recorded. In the rest of the states it's OK to just let one of the two parties know (and this could maybe be in the contract the user signed) but in the other 12 both parties have to be informed, so you'd hear it every time you called somebody in one of those states.
There have all records of everything. That doesn't mean that they can exploit you to anybody or anything. However, the government has the right to pull any file at any time, regardless of the Patriot Act.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to 94Camaro_Z_28 Send a message via AIM to 94Camaro_Z_28 Send a message via MSN to 94Camaro_Z_28
Quote:
There have all records of everything. That doesn't mean that they can exploit you to anybody or anything. However, the government has the right to pull any file at any time, regardless of the Patriot Act.
No, they don't. Remove the tinfoil hat. They have your voice and your text messeges....they do not have recordings of your calls
Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Camaro_Z_28 View Post
No, they don't. Remove the tinfoil hat. They have your voice and your text messeges....they do not have recordings of your calls
Huh? Tinfoil hat.

If they can have complete records of your home phone calls. Why can't they have records of the calls on your mobile? Like I said, just because they have the records doesn't mean they can do anything with them. They just store them along with everything else you do with your phone. Believe it or not, they have the records. I don't know how long they are stored though.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Huh? Tinfoil hat.

If they can have complete records of your home phone calls. Why can't they have records of the calls on your mobile? Like I said, just because they have the records doesn't mean they can do anything with them. They just store them along with everything else you do with your phone. Believe it or not, they have the records. I don't know how long they are stored though.
They don't store your home phone calls either. Where are you getting this information? Hearsay? Personal experience in the telco industry? Companies can't just choose to violate state and federal laws at will like they would absolutely be doing if they recorded all calls without warning... unless, again, if they had permission, which I'm sure they do on a case by case basis via the patriot act, but not as a whole.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Huh? Tinfoil hat.

They know the numbers you dial or the numbers that called you, but that's it.
Let's get our revenge by opening up a chop stick factory here in the US, hiring illegally immigrated mexicans to run the machines, and once we have the chinese hooked on our chop sticks, send them over coated in arsenic.
grosseatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosseatwork View Post
They know the numbers you dial or the numbers that called you, but that's it.
And they know how long the call is, start time, end time, but that is about it.

Oh, and try to image how much data storage would be required to record every single voice conversation in the US for 1 day. No, they are not recording it.
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post

Oh, and try to image how much data storage would be required to record every single voice conversation in the US for 1 day. No, they are not recording it.
Yea, I guess I cut it a bit short. It's a freaking print out though, it's not like they can possibly store that much information.

It basically looks like a phone bill. I've actually seen a phone report from an old lawsuit, it's not exciting at all.
Let's get our revenge by opening up a chop stick factory here in the US, hiring illegally immigrated mexicans to run the machines, and once we have the chinese hooked on our chop sticks, send them over coated in arsenic.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to chevyman502bb
Thanks for the input guys

2002 PT Cruiser......
Quote:
Originally Posted by notgetleft View Post
So did you give him the stink palm handshake with his daughter's stink or what?
chevyman502bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post

We're working on a call recording and management system at my workplace. Current storage estimates with near perfect phone quality recordings (very limited frequency range, mono, easy compression, etc) is about 6MB per hour.

It really wouldn't be that difficult with the low cost of storage to record calls - at least from a cost of storage perspective. I average about 1000 minutes a month of cell phone usage (day and night), so you could fit me in a little over a gigabyte of storage for a year's worth of talking on my cell (I have no house phone).
Old 01-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
We're working on a call recording and management system at my workplace. Current storage estimates with near perfect phone quality recordings (very limited frequency range, mono, easy compression, etc) is about 6MB per hour.

It really wouldn't be that difficult with the low cost of storage to record calls - at least from a cost of storage perspective. I average about 1000 minutes a month of cell phone usage (day and night), so you could fit me in a little over a gigabyte of storage for a year's worth of talking on my cell (I have no house phone).
So one person equals a gigabyte a year, so 350 million people would be how much in data terms? I don't know the name for what that would be.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:58 PM

Reply Post New Thread