Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Is Blood Pressure of 168 over 112 Anything to Worry About ?????

Checked my blood pressure at one of those do it yourself deals at the drugstore and I got a reading of Systolic 168 and Pulse 112. I had been walking around somewhat just before I did the test.I have been having a tingly left arm lately. Should I see the Doctor ??
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
iroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

If you've never consulted a doctor for high blood pressure before then yeah you should definitely talk to one about BP that high.
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #3

Yes see a doctor. I wouldn't worry too much as some people with choloestoral problems are over 200 but still. The 112 isn't that great either, you probabl have some blockage building up.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

That's just into stage II hypertension. See a doc.
JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #5

definitely high and you should probably get it checked out. it's nothing to run to the emergency room for though.
formulaofsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6

Have it checked again. Use a different machine, stop in at the fire department, whatever you have to do.

Otherwise...

YES!!! Schedule an appointment with your doc immediately.

Does your head hurt or build pressure when you are bending down, crouching, tying your shoes, etc? Pressure in your sinuses?

The reason I ask is because I was running around with unchecked high blood pressure for a while. Finally, I slapped myself out of denial and saw a doc and basically told me at 154/90 I was approaching stroke territory. I'm not wildly unhealthy, but my highly stressful lifestyle right now isn't allowing me to focus on the things I need to.

It's unbelievable how much I was "hurting" --dull pain in my head throughout the day, head felt like it was going to explode if I bent over to tie my shoes. This had just become a normal part of life over the last year or so.

I'm in my first week of treatment on Norvasc which is a calcium channel blocker. Un-freaking-believable. I feel awesome. No more dull headache, and my body isn't as "tired" as it used to be. I don't have any more energy than normal, but my body is also not working to pump blood at a zillion PSI. Life saving, super-serious stuff, right there.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #7

I actually went to another drugstore later this afternoon and got almost excatly the same reading. I am 50 and maybe 20 lbs overweight. I have not been to the Doctor in probably 5 years. I am going to make a appointment as there is something not right.... Lost my Son at age 26 and a very dear girlfriend at age 38 so I know what can happen..... Thanks guys....
iroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #8

Your left arm is tingling because of anxiety..typical axniety attack symptom..becasue you've been thinking about your BP.

Take those machines with a grain of salt, they already read higher than normal due to not being calibrated often.

Go see a Dr and get a read accurate reading.
V8 Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #9

Left arm tingling is a huge warning sign, get to the doctor immediately.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc7 View Post
I actually went to another drugstore later this afternoon and got almost excatly the same reading. I am 50 and maybe 20 lbs overweight. I have not been to the Doctor in probably 5 years. I am going to make a appointment as there is something not right.... Lost my Son at age 26 and a very dear girlfriend at age 38 so I know what can happen..... Thanks guys....
See a doctor. I was diagnosed with hypertension at age 47. I had a stress test and an echocardiogram afterwards (which I passed) and 4 months later had a heart attack..... at age 48.

Keep us posted.
RRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
Smith4046

Hey 7;

My internist said that he doesn't trust those store machines over his in-office results. I had a high reading once a few years ago at a drug store - two days later (at my doctor's office) my BP was normal (for me). Good luck - let's just hope it is the machine giving a false reading, and see what your GP gets as a result.

Like RRRR stated, please keep us posted.

Best of health and longevity,

Steve
Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to irocdreamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith4046 View Post
Hey 7;

My internist said that he doesn't trust those store machines over his in-office results. I had a high reading once a few years ago at a drug store - two days later (at my doctor's office) my BP was normal (for me). Good luck - let's just hope it is the machine giving a false reading, and see what your GP gets as a result.

Like RRRR stated, please keep us posted.

Best of health and longevity,

Steve
Well, your blood pressure goes up and down depending on what you are doing at the moment. If you are walking around the store carrying stuff and just suddenly stop and sit down and take the test, your results will be high. That is not your resting BP.

I normally sit down, take the test, then sit still for a few minutes and take it again. Second time is a bit lower.

1988 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z L98 A4 The Project
irocdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #13

Mine was around 175/125 before I was put on medication. That got it down to 120/85ish. Ive been told that if the second number is over 100 or so you need to get it down. Im only 23 but, mine is only high because i have a wierd kindney disease.
'11 1SS Camaro 20'' wheels, M6
Jameslt1TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #14

If your PULSE (heart rate) is 112 you should def see a doctor. You have tachycardia (rapid heart beat).
TheV6Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
ZAZ

i had high blood pressure, had to go to the ER when i was about 27 for a head injury, and it was 155/115 or so.. they said it could be due to the excitement of the head injury, but i kept track of it.. it still stayed around 140-145 over 100.. so i cut out some salt, and the past 6 mos, ive been doing alot more cardio just checked it a few weeks ago, and it was 136/90 the dr. did inform me that a continuous BP of 145 or higher requires meds.. so yeah, def. go to the dr. cut out the sodium/fast food/junk food and start some light exercising.. its not much to do and could easily add years and years to your life. plus youll feel alot better.
ZAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Reply Post New Thread