Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Community > F-body Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to irocdreamer
250 Pound Squat: Respectable or No?

Ok, I used to never do bench press or squats, because being the loner I am I would never actually ask anyone to spot me, and I wasn't sure what I could or couldn't handle.

Well about 6 weeks ago I resumed working out seriously again at a gym that has a squat machine. I started out at 180 about 2 weeks ago, and now I am up to 250. Is this a good number in general, or a puss number? Just curious, for an ego boost or soul crushing honesty.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!

1988 Chevy Camaro IROC-Z L98 A4 The Project
irocdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to IRONFIST Send a message via MSN to IRONFIST
Re: 250 Pound Squat: Respectable or No?

Depends, whats a squat machine? Do normal squats.... machines are gay, they seem to all be different.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #3

I'm gonna say that's probably about right if you don't work legs much. I've never done any squats on a machine though.

2008 NCAA National Champs, ROCK CHALK JAY HAWK KU!
grossesexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #4

Its the machine where you can't fall. You can pretty much only go up and down, and the bar has hooks on either end, and there are pegs up and down the machine. Twist the bar back and the hooks clear the pegs, when you finsih or can't handle the weight or can't finsih a rep, you just twist the bar forward and the hooks catch the pegs and your free and clear. Other wise its the same as just using a bar, except falling and making an *** out of yourself is less likely.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdreamer
Its the machine where you can't fall. You can pretty much only go up and down, and the bar has hooks on either end, and there are pegs up and down the machine. Twist the bar back and the hooks clear the pegs, when you finsih or can't handle the weight or can't finsih a rep, you just twist the bar forward and the hooks catch the pegs and your free and clear. Other wise its the same as just using a bar, except falling and making an *** out of yourself is less likely.

Ooooh, ok. In that case no, 250 isn't much at all. The guys who squat in those racks usually put up like 300+ but then can't do 160 unassisted.

So in a sense it's a fair amount of weight, but in reality it's not much at all.

2008 NCAA National Champs, ROCK CHALK JAY HAWK KU!
grossesexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #6

I agree with OP work on doing plain old barbell squats, machines usually don't give you a correct range of motion. Not to mention that barbell squats will work your legs much better than a machine can.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #7

I have yet to come across a machine that I couldn't do every last pound on the machine multiple times. But none of the clubs I have access to have very high weight machines - around 600 pounds or so. Can't add any more weight.

I can't do unassisted 'real' squats because I have a bad knee that will give out long before my muscles do. It can't handle the balancing factor while my legs muscles are doing the squatting...
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to 96speed Send a message via Yahoo to 96speed

First off, props if you're working out hard and sticking to it.

Its hard to say about the weight. Some people like to do big weights and get nowhere close to a 90 kneebend - kind of like guys who pile up the plates on the leg sled and go 2" up and down .

Get to a real squat rack with "safety bars" that will catch the barbell. First, set them to the level that is about a 90 knee bend for you. Do a squat without weights to check the height. You can do real squats like this without having a spotter (probbaly wouldn't try to max ANYTHING without a spotter though).

FWIW, I was 5' 9" @ 180 in Highschool. I squatted 300, power cleaned 200, and benched 155 - yeah, weak bench. Now, I'm an extremely flabby 230 @ 6', can bench about 200, and would probably die if I tried to squat an honest 300lbs .

However, posting up your #s hints insecurity on your part. Don't worry about anyone else' squat. Bust your *** and laugh at the ego maniacs stacking up the plates with no form - its a waste.

Ryan

"He started the tapping motion but didnt actually finish, kinda like when Hogan's arm falls for the 3rd time but just before it drops all the way he picks it up and waves his fingers like oh no brother, yea he got that from the Hulkster."
96speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx
I have yet to come across a machine that I couldn't do every last pound on the machine multiple times. But none of the clubs I have access to have very high weight machines - around 600 pounds or so. Can't add any more weight.

I can't do unassisted 'real' squats because I have a bad knee that will give out long before my muscles do. It can't handle the balancing factor while my legs muscles are doing the squatting...
This is no a machine with pulleys and cables and sh
1t.

You use actual plates, just like the 'real' squats. You add on as many plates as you can hanlde, and I highly doubt you could 'max out' this machine. It could probably fit more than a few 45 pound plates.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96speed
First off, props if you're working out hard and sticking to it.

Its hard to say about the weight. Some people like to do big weights and get nowhere close to a 90 kneebend - kind of like guys who pile up the plates on the leg sled and go 2" up and down .

Get to a real squat rack with "safety bars" that will catch the barbell. First, set them to the level that is about a 90 knee bend for you. Do a squat without weights to check the height. You can do real squats like this without having a spotter (probbaly wouldn't try to max ANYTHING without a spotter though).

FWIW, I was 5' 9" @ 180 in Highschool. I squatted 300, power cleaned 200, and benched 155 - yeah, weak bench. Now, I'm an extremely flabby 230 @ 6', can bench about 200, and would probably die if I tried to squat an honest 300lbs .

However, posting up your #s hints insecurity on your part. Don't worry about anyone else' squat. Bust your *** and laugh at the ego maniacs stacking up the plates with no form - its a waste.

Ryan
You think your bench is weak, mine is terrible.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocdreamer
This is no a machine with pulleys and cables and sh
1t.

You use actual plates, just like the 'real' squats. You add on as many plates as you can hanlde, and I highly doubt you could 'max out' this machine. It could probably fit more than a few 45 pound plates.
It still operates the same way a machine does - it just uses free weight plates instead of integrated plates. I've done your kinda machine too - same difference as far as I'm concerned - my knees are still OK with it. They just don't have any of those at the two gyms I have access to.

And yeah, most of those machines will let you stack anywhere from 1000-1500 pounds on 'em. If you ghetto stack 'em you can get them up to like 2000-2500. lol
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #12

some of the squat machines can be fierce. i used one at the gym, it was pneumatic and weight/air pressure was set by a dial. that things safety didnt engage until you were squashed like a bug on the floor. safety leg was 30" off the floor, so you figure you were on your a$$ if you couldnt handle it or reach the lever.

like 96 said, props to you for sticking it out....the weight training that is
'00 z28 a4. lid, mac mid headers, orp, tsp rumbler cb, tune. prc stage 2.5, 5.3liter heads, tsp custom cam. (233/239 .600/.605 112lsa) 3.73's. ssra, 11.87@118 so far on stock tc. hawk pads, x-drilled zinc rotors ---scott---
myslowcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to ssbowtie1

Well the term "alot" is relative but generally 250lb on the smith machine is not alot at all. I hope you're not counting the bar as part of the 250 either.

If you want to get big and get some great gains, do some real squats. Simple as that.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #14

You mean like the smith machine? If so, that's not a lot, but not too bad for starting out.
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold. "
- 1.Lt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC (Future CMC)
RedPhenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to ChrisUlrich

I can't believe no one asked how much you weigh? That plays a factor a tiny bit in if it's impressive or not... plus your age.

I don't know who said it but they are right... squat in a squat rack for starters. Then you put two bars sitting perpendicular to the car making a + size towards the outer part of the bar. It's so when you can't do anymore you just squat down a little farther and the bars catch it for you.

Main thing though man... you MUST have someone watch you do it. Squatting is SOOOO important but if you have bad form, you can hurt yourself. Make sure you have someone watch your form at least. It's very important.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Reply Post New Thread