Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Stainless Works headers on a fairly stock LT1...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Stainless Works headers on a fairly stock LT1...

So, I'm about 15 years late to the party, but I would like to step up the performance of my LT1 a little. The car has had on it since 2001 an SLP 2OTL, CAI and airfoil...otherwise the powertrain is stock.

Can I expect a significant increase from LTs on a fairly stock LT1? How much HP are we talking? Also, are there other things I should be considering, without tearing into the engine? Like a handheld tuner? I have always shied away from them, as I know a custom dyno tune is much preferred. The problem is, I don't know of any shop anywhere near me that does such work.

I am planning to either leave my 2OTL on this car, or transfer it to my IROC and put on an SLP Power Flo I plan to take off my SS and replace with the OEM SLP Dual Dual that came with the car (now that I learned about the cone of silence, unlike the previous owner, I plan to cut that out and reinstall the exhaust).

My plan is to get high-quality headers like Stainless Works, along with matching high flow cats...wondering what the change in exhaust note and power will be like. And yes, I used the search button...didn't find hardly anything on these headers. Thoughts are sincerely appreciated.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM

a complete exhaust system can add like 30 FWHP.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 AM

Re: Stainless Works headers on a fairly stock LT1...

Headers are one of the best bang for the buck. The power increase is very noticeable, seat of the pants feel is definetly there.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 AM

As stated headers is a big seat of pants improvement. I would leave the slp exhaust on it if its a camaro. SLP is a good system and not much if any is to be had by going with something else. I still run the factory slp ion my ss and it get many compliments as being unique deep sound. I use slp headers, but if I had to start over i most likey would go pacesetter or hooker long tubes. I like the fit and finish of the SLP headers but not the price. Coated is a must. Another mod I did that had good returns was 1.6 full roller rockers and lt4 springs. I also have done electric waterpump and asp balancer replacement pulley with good results.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Stainless Works or Kooks are what I'm looking at right now...still doing some more research, as the car will be parked in 60 days for the winter anyway. It will have an SLP exhaust on it no matter what...either the 2OTL on it, or a newer Power Flo that came on my 2000 SS. I have the OEM SLP Dual Dual for the SS to put back on, and I am thinking about putting the 2OTL on the IROC...

How much louder will it become with headers? The only car I've ever owned with headers was my old 91 RS with Edelbrock shorties...it was noticeably louder after the headers. Of course, that could've also been partly because the Magnaflow catback on that car was notorious for getting louder as the insides of it burned up over time...

Last edited by Jason E; 09-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM

I think mine actually got quieter when I put headers on it, but I am using a high flow cat also. My car ran worse when I took the cat off and the extra noise wasnt worth it to me. I like to hear my stereo. I think more than anything it smoothed the exhaust out with headers. It doesn't sound so stopped up. I did the same header and mods to the other three lt1s I had and they ran better without the cat and were not so loud. They were older though and one was and automatic.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Here is what mine sounds like with headers and 3" ORP with Hooker Areo muffer.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=2709& transactionid=1347666423-249978249&posted_by=Matts97camaro_www.camaroz28.co m&youtube_video_id=pgfHKweEsZ4[/autostream]
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM

Headers do not make an engine louder, the exhaust system you choose will...... The engine breathing through stock manifolds is considerably louder in the engine compartment aswell as the interior headers give a much better amount of flow and moves the sound out of the compartment...

You can also search LPP HEADERS they are still very much in business