Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Strange idea.. anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Strange idea.. anyone done this?

True duals crunch..

I'm crunching ideas now, the exhuast shop refused to do over the axle on my formula even with 2.5" piping because they felt it would be "too close, and therefore unsafe." I ran across an under the axle setup on here that seems really nice and will probably be my final solution, BUT in the midst of crunching ideas I was getting angry and wanted a fast solution leading up to.. the main event -

- I'm running quad tips that are staggered to match the rear bumper. I thought of running these at an angle so that each one is showing an equal amount out of the side in front of the rear wheel (similar to a ford lightning but on both sides) Anyone with something like this? how is the clearance? and where would I put the muffler? LOL

I really am against dumping it before the axle. I DD this car and take it on long trips often enough that the resonance from a tip faced at the ground would drive me nuts.

Anyone with pictures of ANY of the above setups lets see them! (under axle or out the side before the axle)
Old 11-26-2008, 09:22 PM

This is what I want to run.
Pacesetter long tubes, 2 cats(if possible), X-pipe and
2 Sweet thunder 2.5 inch mufflers exiting before rear wheels.
I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything.
Anybody running something similar?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 PM

You might be able to do it if you use oval pipe.

https://www.drgas.net/catalog.php?catid=3

I mean you could do it either way, but oval pipe will give you the clearance you need.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:09 AM

with a good set of mufflers, interior resonance is minimal.

my cammed engine, LTs, no cats, Xpipe and magnaflow 4x9 mufflers is quiet as can be on the highway.

i've driven it many times 300+ miles at 80mph....noise from the windows is worse than the noise from the exhaust.

just my $.02

oh and your ground clearance with tips before the wheels will suck
Old 11-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Well, she gets dropped off at the exhuast shop first thing tomorrow morning. Unless all goes horribly wrong the setup will be the duals under the axle. I wish I could find the pic of what the setup is, but it's similar looking to a vette's exhaust.

If for some reason they find a way to tell me it can't be done.. out the side it is, because I hung the tips up so I could walk away and take a peak. I loved the look it had haha.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Looks like the shops been doing some prep for my car last week. They already had some oval pipe waiting and apparently have the capability to make it at their shop. I was a bit surprised to find that out haha, so whichever setup makes the final cut will have oval in the tight spaces where clearance is an issue. I'll have pics up whenever it is done, likely to be tomorrow. (that being if it takes them till after 2PM to finish I won't be able to pick it up today )I'm too excited because I remember how my Z28 sounded with a similar setup haha.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:45 AM

My car is "dumped" before the rear axle, but I do not have turn downs. There for the exhaust is not reverberating off of the ground and chasis of the car. If you were to take a ride in my car you and didn't know it had true duals you still would not know when you were done. The way my td's are setup interior noise/resonance whatever you want to call it is very similar to having a cat-back on the car... I would almost say that it is actually quieter than it was with my flowmaster, and it is for sure a hell of a lot quieter than a cut-out. There is pictures of my setup in the true duals sticky.