Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Which Magnaflow exhaust do users typically recommend for an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 02:30 AM

Unhappy Which Magnaflow exhaust do users typically recommend for an LS1?

Hey everyone,

I want to update my 2000 Camaro SS A4's stock exhaust (the entire car is stock, not planning to do anything other than upgrade the exhaust). I live in California, and on a small residential street, so I want to get something where I can park and not wake up the neighbors' kids at night, but I can still hear once I start cruising down the road (and not get a ticket when next to a cop.)

After doing some reading, I'm deciding between an SLP LM II and a Magnaflow exhaust (I know, big surprise). I'm leaning toward the Magnaflow, because I hear they're quieter at idle, but sound good when you hit it—I'm not sure how much louder the SLP LM II would be since I have an A4, though. I'm wondering, which model Magnaflow is the one people typically recommend? 15684? 16723? (I always see people refer to it simply as "Magnaflow exhaust," without a number). If it's the 16723, I just might wait on it since the price is pretty up there.

Thanks for readin'!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Re: Which Magnaflow exhaust do users typically recommend for an LS1?

Looking at those two part #'s, the only difference appears to be the outlet tips that hang under the bumper - dual tips vs. quad tips. That's purely an aesthetic issue, not related to performance or sound. Pick the one that looks best to you. Almost $300 extra for the quad tips seems excessive.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:00 AM

Re: Which Magnaflow exhaust do users typically recommend for an LS1?

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Looking at those two part #'s, the only difference appears to be the outlet tips that hang under the bumper - dual tips vs. quad tips. That's purely an aesthetic issue, not related to performance or sound. Pick the one that looks best to you. Almost $300 extra for the quad tips seems excessive.
Thanks! That's what I figured, but didn't know if there was some detail I was missing since I don't have much experience with exhaust.

I've just read up on the Hooker 16811 (exhaust shopping is both fun + tedious). Seems to have a better sound then the Magnaflow. If anyone has any suggestions between them, shoot them over.