Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Is the inch on my set up Correct?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Is the inch on my set up Correct?

Hi guys, I bought a 1994 camaro Z28 completely stock back in 04. Since then I put a K&N intake set up, GM aluminum elbow, Hooker Super Compitetion Headers Shorty's with a y-pipe, magniflow high flow cat, Flowmaster. I used the pre-existing exhaust system that is factory. I was just wondering if my set up is correct? And if I go hooker super competition long tube ( which is better with or without the y-pipe) with the same set up just changing headers will I have to change the size inch ( like say the the set up I have is perfect but by changing the headers would I have would I have to change the inch size because of the new headers)? Thanks guys.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Re: Is the inch on my set up Correct?

Not sure what you mean by "inch size"???

If you have shorty headers, they have a Y-pipe that allows them to mate up to the stock catback. If you go to long tubes, you need a new Y-pipe with it. You can't hook long tubes up to a Y-pipe from shorty headers.

By "used the pre-existing exhaust system that is factory.", I think you are indicating that everything after your high-flow cat is stock. That would be a 2.75" intermediate pipe, a 2.5" connection to a cross-flow muffler, with dual pipes out of the muffler.

But you also indicate you bought a "Flowmaster".... is that just a replacement muffler? If so, some Flowmaster mufflers are good, and others are not so good. And replacing just the muffler and keeping the stock intermediate pipe will not help power much, even on a stock engine. The intermediate pipe (is this the "size inch" you are asking about?) is the limiting factor, not the muffler.

You need to clarify exactly what your current components are, and what stock ([re-existing?) pieces you still have.