Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Help me choose my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Help me choose my exhaust

I am replacing my headers and exhaust system. I have a 97 SS. I want to go stainless steel with the headers because I don't want to replace them again. The only reason I need to replace them now is when the person before me cut out the cats screwed up the headers. I am looking at Stainless Works long header and off road y pipe (emissions not an issue) and I am looking at the Hooker cat back system which is not stainless, but is aluminized steel. I mainly choose this muffler because it the exhaust tips are dual on both sides as is the way my SS came. Any feedback would be appreciated. I did not go with Kooks because they are few hundred dollars extra. This set up on ws6 is just over $1400.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Re: Help me choose my exhaust

Pace setter Ceramic headers seem to be a good buy for the price and they are not that
difficult to install so I'm told ???
I.M.O I would change the plug when you install the headers
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Pacesetters are by far the most inexpensive, but they are also the cheapest made. I don't want to have to replace the headers again.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 PM

ssw or kooks headers
Old 11-11-2013, 10:22 PM

If you don't need the headers right now you may wait until next month or even the beginning of the year when a lot of the vendors have Christmas and New Years specials. Oh, Black Friday deals too.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM

No, I not in any big hurry. The best price I have found is at ws6store. Stainless works long headers and y pipe for just over 1k, about 200 cheaper than any other place I have seen. So it is just like xmas shopping. Maybe a can get a whole stainless steel setup if they drop prices.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 PM

Has anyone used the Hooker Header cat back exhaust? The setup looks like my stock slp exhaust. Or can you tell me where to find real SLP exhaust system? All sites that come up keep coming up with the same systems and none are the slp.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Anyone running the borla exhaust system? Is it worth the extra cost? Will not be running with cats and some sites suggest not running this system without cats. I don't mind loud, but I also don't want to sound like a race car.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 AM

I have Pacesetters on my '97 SS, they have held up okay, but they show a little wear on the bottom by the collectors. LPP wasn't producing when I purchased or I probably would've went that route. The LPP are suppose to be based off the Kooks IIRC. There were some fitment issues with early LPP's around the steering shaft and k-member but I think those are resolved now. Also you will have to delete your oil cooler if your car was optioned with that.

Pacesetters area great budget LT, however they are ceramic coated and not stainless. They tuck up really nice which is great if your car is lowered. My car was on sportlines when I put my LTs on.

My setup is Pacesetter LTs, Custom 3" ORY, SLP 2OTL
[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=399&t ransactionid=1384878021-159140254107&posted_by=6SpdLT1Z_www.camaroz28.com& youtube_video_id=_5veEXxp5zA[/autostream]
Old 11-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Do you know of anyone still selling slp exhaust system. Checked with slp and they only have the setup for the ls1 engine. I know it will work with the lt, but then you need to change the hanger setup for the exhaust. Your setup isn't too loud. I don't mind loud, but I don't want a racecar sound.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by kozmosis
Do you know of anyone still selling slp exhaust system. Checked with slp and they only have the setup for the ls1 engine. I know it will work with the lt, but then you need to change the hanger setup for the exhaust. Your setup isn't too loud. I don't mind loud, but I don't want a racecar sound.
The 2OTL system was optional for 96-97 SS, but in 97 you could also order it with the dual/dual system. Or you could get your SS with the stock Z28 rectangle tips. SLP discontinued selling the 2OTL system quite a while ago but up until a year or two ago you could order replacement tips for the 2OTL. If you are interested in this system check the classifieds here, ls1tech, and eBay.

A lot of the SLP LS1 (dual/dual, loudmouth) systems will fit up to an LT1 with minor modifications.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 AM

Thanks, and my car has the optional dual/dual system and I want to keep that look. I have looked at the l/r dual with a single outlet, but I still like the dual tips. I will continue to watch the market place and other sites since I don't need to replace it this second. If anyone sees headers or exhaust systems on sale (a great sale) let me know. The ws6 store has the borla system for my car priced at just under $800.