Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

HELP. Kooks headers hitting my steering column. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Exclamation HELP. Kooks headers hitting my steering column. What do I do?

So I buy a race set of Kooks 1 7/8 LT for my 95 Z28, and come to find out the steering colum is hitting the headers. This is really odd to me since my car has to be like every other 95 Z28, and don't know why Kooks would make something that doesn't fit properly.

Anyone else had this problem? I also have BMR K-member and upper and lower A arms I am dealing with.

Whats the fix for my solution?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Re: HELP. Kooks headers hitting my steering column. What do I do?

Take some pics and send them to Kooks. See if they will make it right.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:46 AM

X2. They should stand behind their product.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 AM

These are the same stamped size headers that everyone gets. They are not individually different. Likewise with a factory built f-body.

All the local guys with LT1 cars with them have the exact same issue. Its not something Kooks is going to say "oops. Sorry about that, we'll send you out a fitting pair right away.".

I need to find a fix with what I have. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 AM

No, but Kooks might have a simple solution for you to fix it...I would start with them and see what they say.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
No, but Kooks might have a simple solution for you to fix it...I would start with them and see what they say.
I have already contacted them. They have no fix for it and just said "when you have so many other aftermarket parts in your car it becomes impossible to design something that fits for everything."

Like I said before, I need to find a way to get around this.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Here is a pic of what we are dealing with

Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM

I had the same issue with my TPIS longtubes, the ones that use real manifold bolts instead of the header bolts everyone else has.
Easy to put on and never get loose and leak.
I had to take a prybar skrewdriver looking tool and use a small sledge hammer to beat the header from underneath to wedge some space while on my lift.
After a few tries i was able to clearance enough space so it doesn't rub on the steering knuckle anymore.
I don't know how the kooks run exactly and the tubes are wider but it can't be much different to fix it this way.

Last edited by 2cub49; 06-10-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Have you been able to solve your problem on Kooks 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 headers hitting the steering ,Call 911 ? Just wanted to see . Answer could help other people.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Yes, I ended up just moving the steering column over a little bit more till it cleared.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks Call 911. How did you move it and which direction did you go ? I was thinking about these headers but concerned about steering rod clearance. Seems hit and miss on these larger Kooks. Any other installion issues? Thanks very much.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM

It was not easy at all. I had to move the steering column over more towards the outside (away from the headers) until it cleared.

FWIW, I was looking for a clean install. I know others that have bypassed this whole issue with simply taking a hammer to their headers and making a nice big dent in it to create room for the steering knuckle. I didn't feel that I wanted to do that, so I went the route I did.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks Call 911. That sounds like a mess. Would the LS1 steering shaft help any as I have read someplace? I thought if it even fits, that the clocking would be off for our LT1 F -bodies. I really think I could use the Kooks 1 3/4 x 1 7/8 x 3" Race headers on my 93 Z-28 396 cu in LT1 street car. But I am scarred to death something like this would happen. Has anyone used these headers and had no steering shaft problems? Will these work with an LT4 starter? I know I will have to delete my factory oil cooler and oil level sensor in the Canton Road Race oil pan. Also ,I will have to run a short oil filter(PF-454 or maybe NAPA Gold 7099). My 93 has the factory oil press sensor over the oil filter in block. Can I still keep this ? I have it in now and am using top rear of block for an Autometer Mech oil press. gauge mounted in lower dash. I now have the older style TPIS Longtubes with JET Hot Silver Coating. Everything above fit good except LT4 starter. Had to put small depression in one tube. Can even run the long oil filter. But. drivers side hugs up so tight under car that it hits floor pan under drivers foot. I had installed new GM factory engine mounts on 396 install. I lowered Auto Trans (4L-60) large factory cross brace mount app 3/4"to 1" to clear driver side header at firewall footwell. I do not want to run like this. My Z is lowered app 1 1/4" with Strano Springs. I am very disapointed. My Random Tech 3" Dual cat Y pipe made just for my TPIS headers will not work good either with my lowered car. This cost a bunch when I bought all of this. All still new ,never have started engine. Headers have super plug access and work with all above things. TPIS said some cars have fitment issues. Cannot lower entire engine and trans like they said to do with factory K member and Canton Roadrace oil pan. Had TPIS remove the ragjoint on lower steering shaft to work with no 1 header tube. This works good now. So here I am wanting a new stainless header set and better dual cat Y pipe. Kooks looks like a possibility. But , wish I had more good install feedback. Thanks again Call 911.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Different suspension/k-members will yield different clearance results. I have no knowledge on the lt4 starter. You will have to delete the oil cooler, and mine was the ls1 style steering shaft. Also, depending on what oil pan you have will depend on what oil filter you can use. I also have a canton oil pan, but don't know past that it holds 6 quarts, which one it is, and I have to use a small AC Delco oil filter that barely fits.

Given all the clearance issues, you would think Kooks could have designed them better. It is up to you to decide if the power gains and plug access is worth all the cost and hassle.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Hi Call 911. True but sad we have to hope something fits that costs sooo much. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: HELP. Kooks headers hitting my steering column. What do I do?