Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Flowmaster 80 series any good??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Flowmaster 80 series any good??

ok so i was on summit racing and i saw that they made two different sized flowmaster 80 series mufflers

this one is 4 in thick and 15 in long..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-43083/

this one is 5 in thick and 17 in long
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-53083/

i ordered the second one (17x5) because i figured it would probably produce a deeper grumble? am i wrong or rite? also is the flowmaster 80 a good sounding muffler along with my set of bbk headers? and will it help with my engine performace because i plan on building up my lt1 to a 383 stroker.. i had a flowmaster on my old v6 and it sounded all rite so im just lookin for opinions.....

,thanks..danny
Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 PM

flowmaster seems to consistently be the worst flowing performance muffler. almost everyone who has bought a flowmaster for an F body has sold it for a magnaflow or anything else. I preferred the pacesetter muffler more than the 80 series flowmaster I used to have.

I hate to crap on your new purchase but, maybe you should clamp it on really gently, try it for 20 minutes, then once you've decided you hate it return it
Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 AM

[QUOTE=GhostZ28;6279981]flowmaster seems to consistently be the worst flowing performance muffler. almost everyone who has bought a flowmaster for an F body has sold it for a magnaflow or anything else. I preferred the pacesetter muffler more than the 80 series flowmaster I used to have.

True statement. I just bought the 80 series today and I must say I am not impressed at all. When you are in the floor board it sounds ok. When it is at idle I can't even tell the difference between my stock and the 80 Flowmaster.

I drove home, I went on the internet and I ordered my Magnaflow true dual. Cancel your order and take my advice. By pass it and go for the Magnaflow like I should have done in the first place.

Anyone know someone looking for a 80 series Flowmaster been used for 30 mins. LOL!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=AFK9;6280088]
Originally Posted by GhostZ28
flowmaster seems to consistently be the worst flowing performance muffler. almost everyone who has bought a flowmaster for an F body has sold it for a magnaflow or anything else. I preferred the pacesetter muffler more than the 80 series flowmaster I used to have.

True statement. I just bought the 80 series today and I must say I am not impressed at all. When you are in the floor board it sounds ok. When it is at idle I can't even tell the difference between my stock and the 80 Flowmaster.

I drove home, I went on the internet and I ordered my Magnaflow true dual. Cancel your order and take my advice. By pass it and go for the Magnaflow like I should have done in the first place.

Anyone know someone looking for a 80 series Flowmaster been used for 30 mins. LOL!!!

ok so whats the best magnaflow then?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Here is the MagnaFlow website http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=102 . I imput your year and this is the only option it came up with on the V8 for a 94Z. You can watch the videos and see what the car actually sounds like with this exact exhaust on it. The flowmaster sounds nothing like the magnaflow.

I also suggest trying http://www.ls1sounds.com and listening to the different exhausts. Youtube also has lots of exhaust stuff on there just do a search and the vids are endless.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:04 PM

I guess Im in the minority here. I really enjoyed the sound of the 80 series on my old 94 Trans Am. Loved the quiet rumble at idle, and I liked the sound under power. Got a few compliments for it too.

Im just not a fan of the sound of magnaflow.

Go to youtube and ls1sounds like the above guy suggests. Find what you like and put it on. Thats all that matters in the end. What do you want to listen to? I would put an 80 series on another F-body. I liked it.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM

I loved my SLP dual/dual muffler, it sounded awesome outside, but interior was the quietest aftermarket I have heard.

the BAD: I have had my SLP muffler for only ~4 years and (granted it was used) the welds broke on one of my tailpipes, so now I'm looking into true duals with resonators to get the ultimate quiet with no restriction.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by redneckgames
I guess Im in the minority here. I really enjoyed the sound of the 80 series on my old 94 Trans Am. Loved the quiet rumble at idle, and I liked the sound under power. Got a few compliments for it too.

Im just not a fan of the sound of magnaflow.

Go to youtube and ls1sounds like the above guy suggests. Find what you like and put it on. Thats all that matters in the end. What do you want to listen to? I would put an 80 series on another F-body. I liked it.
well i mean i already got the muffler so im probaly going to keep it...i talked to flowmaster and they were telling me that the measuring device used to rate mufflers isnt accurate to an actual engine and that the flowmaster is better than a straight pipe??
Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM

all that i can say is for the money you get what you pay for when you buy Flowmaster. im not a fan of magnaflow at all.

ghostz28 where are you getting your facts or info from, cause i have never ever heard of this.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:55 PM

IMO, if your really want a good sounding/flowing Flowmaster muffler get a Super 44 muffler. FlowMaster does have some good flowing mufflers, but the 80 series isn't one of them
Overall probably the best "Bang for the Buck" is the Hooker(Aero Chamber muffler) cat-back exhaust system.

Last edited by bluz28; 02-26-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluz28
IMO, if your really want a good sounding/flowing Flowmaster muffler get a Super 44 muffler. FlowMaster does have some good flowing mufflers, but the 80 series isn't one of them
Overall probably the best "Bang for the Buck" is the Hooker(Aero Chamber muffler) cat-back exhaust system.
well i already got 3in header back exhaust with no cat.. i just needed the muffler
Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 AM

I love the flowmaster sound, but it seems like the 40 series is the only one worth hearing. All the others are always too quiet.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by brianswimmer23
ghostz28 where are you getting your facts or info from, cause i have never ever heard of this.
It was definitely on this site, but very long ago, when I was first shopping for a muffler for the old 3.4 V6. I remember a discussion of which cat-back flowed best and the dyno numbers showed flowmaster at bottom, and all the others at about the exact same performance, with the corsa, LM1 and borla barely edging the others out. Of course they all varied by only about 2-3 hp.

I will say the flowmaster on the old 66 truck we have is a durable can though. they are very well constructed, but lots of people dislike them
Old 02-28-2010, 02:58 PM

i ran a 13.5 with my magnaflow catback.

i ran a 13.5 with my flowmaster 80 catback.

is it that much worse then the magnaflow cause i think it sounds 100x better at least.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by AFK9
Here is the MagnaFlow website http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=102 . I imput your year and this is the only option it came up with on the V8 for a 94Z. You can watch the videos and see what the car actually sounds like with this exact exhaust on it. The flowmaster sounds nothing like the magnaflow.

I also suggest trying http://www.ls1sounds.com and listening to the different exhausts. Youtube also has lots of exhaust stuff on there just do a search and the vids are endless.
thats the exact maganflow on my 94. Love it, great choice and buy. got it from summit for 400. get it

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 80 series any good??