Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Do (Long Tube) Headers Need To Be Supported @ Collector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM

Do (Long Tube) Headers Need To Be Supported @ Collector?

I seem to recall hearing that headers need to be supported even when running open headers, or it will crack a weld on he header? or distort?.. Is that the case?. What about with exhaust hanging off it?.. Currently I have the front half of my exhaust being held up by the header, no hangers at all other then the rear. Is this a no no?. Do i need to take the pressure off by adding a hanger to the collector? Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 AM

Re: Do (Long Tube) Headers Need To Be Supported @ Collector?

Originally Posted by ENRKyle20
I seem to recall hearing that headers need to be supported even when running open headers, or it will crack a weld on he header? or distort?.. Is that the case?. What about with exhaust hanging off it?.. Currently I have the front half of my exhaust being held up by the header, no hangers at all other then the rear. Is this a no no?. Do i need to take the pressure off by adding a hanger to the collector? Thanks
I wouldn't put it at the collector. I'm not sure where the frontmost hanger is on a stock exhaust system, but I'd assume that would be fine. The support from a properly hung i-pipe/catback system will be fine. You won't need a hanger when running open headers, but I don't know anyone who runs open headers on a LT1 off the top of my head, they like back pressure.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Thank you for the response. That is good to know. I will not worry to much about it. Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM

LT1s don't need backpressure, they need enough pipe behind the O2 sensor to keep fresh air off of them between exhaust pulses.

Pretty much nobody supports headers, yes in stock applications there is usually support near the tranny BUT that also has to hold up a converter and 100K mile emissions warranty.

On the b-bodies it is routine to throw away the exhaust support at the tranny leaving the exhaust supported at the engine and then at the rear of the mufflers which is basically at the axle, think about the length and therefore leverage and weight.