Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Anyone know a good setup to run in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:59 AM

Anyone know a good setup to run in CA?

IPm trying to see what kind of setup can I run here in CA as they have the sniffer test here which sucks. I want something that will sound aggressive and slightly choppy. Not extra'd out loud to the point were I will get pulled over, but also add hp. Anyone have any suggestions? From headers-exhaust tips. I hate stock!!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:50 AM

Re: Anyone know a good setup to run in CA?

Cold air intake.
TB bypass.
Cat back exhaust system.
Should be good for a few extra ponies.Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Anyone know a good setup to run in CA?

I think he's asking specifically about the exhaust system.

Since you have a 96 with dual cats, you can use headers, but only if they are CARB-EO certified, with the approval number on a tag welded to the headers, and keep the stock cats in the stock location. That really makes the header layout very difficult. SLP used to make CARB dual-cat headers, maybe a couple others. Not sure if anyone still makes them. There is a CARB website that lists the approved aftermarket parts.

Beyond the headers, the cats can only be replaced by similarly CARB approved units, and if they rigidly enforce Federal law, the stockers cannot be replaced unless shown to be defective.

Past the cats, you can do a catback exhaust. Check with the latest version of CA law.... but I think most are acceptable. You want a catback with a 3" mandrel bent intermediate pipe. The Magnaflow system seems to be popular, as well as the SLP Loudmouth systems, although they are on the loud side. Borla and Corsa offer high $$$$ stainless catbacks with a choice of tips.