Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

93 z28 exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 AM

93 z28 exhaust help

Hey guys, been looking around for new exhausts and really cant find many solid reviews of any systems. so yes, i am new to this forum. and yes i am new(er) to cars so bear with me lol. so ill start with the basics. 93 z28 all stock. Obviously looking for a new exhaust or i wouldnt be posting. do you guys have suggestions? been looking around at magnaflow really. so around that price range. would you guys reccomend magnaflow? or flowmaster? or any other brand? just looking for a catback system since im just realizing how expensive it would probably be to try and run dual's. thanks in advance guys
Old 05-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Re: 93 z28 exhaust help

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!

The Magnaflow is a good system. Some people claim the Flowmaster 80-series is restrictive. A Borla adjustable catback is excellent, but pricey. The key is to make sure the system includes a 3" mandrel bent intermediate pipe.

Is your engine stock or modified? For higher HP applications, Mufflex makes 3.5' and 4" catback systems, with either a Flowmaster 30-series race muffler, or a more civilized SpinTech muffler.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!

The Magnaflow is a good system. Some people claim the Flowmaster 80-series is restrictive. A Borla adjustable catback is excellent, but pricey. The key is to make sure the system includes a 3" mandrel bent intermediate pipe.

Is your engine stock or modified? For higher HP applications, Mufflex makes 3.5' and 4" catback systems, with either a Flowmaster 30-series race muffler, or a more civilized SpinTech muffler.
I did look into borla, but thats out of what im willing to spend right now. my engine is stock. only thing thats different a k&N air filter. but i didnt think that was really worth mentioning. after the exhaust im gonna toss on a cold air intake.

so you think magnaflow will do me well? i was originally looking for duals, but cant find much so think i might settle on magnaflow.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Administrator

To run true dual exhaust, you have to start with long tube headers. Then you have to find a way to get the second pipe over the axle, or stop the dual pipes before the axle and use turndowns. There's a relocation kit for the upper panhard rod brace that allows you to get the second pipe over the axle.

But you don't need duals. I used to run a Mufflex 4" catback, and it easily supported my 800HP setup. A buddy ran the same exhaust behind an 1,125HP LT1 383 w/ 20+ # of boost. Again, no significant HP loss. We both ended up removing the Mufflex system though, to cut weight - about 50# savings. Race mufflers on the header collectors, and 3" pipes back to the rear axle, with turndowns.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
To run true dual exhaust, you have to start with long tube headers. Then you have to find a way to get the second pipe over the axle, or stop the dual pipes before the axle and use turndowns. There's a relocation kit for the upper panhard rod brace that allows you to get the second pipe over the axle.

But you don't need duals. I used to run a Mufflex 4" catback, and it easily supported my 800HP setup. A buddy ran the same exhaust behind an 1,125HP LT1 383 w/ 20+ # of boost. Again, no significant HP loss. We both ended up removing the Mufflex system though, to cut weight - about 50# savings. Race mufflers on the header collectors, and 3" pipes back to the rear axle, with turndowns.
gotcha, so true duals are out of the question since i dont have the money or willpower to replace headers. so ive basicly decided on the magnaflow catback. Now ive come up with a few, probably noobish questions.
1. Cutting out the catalytic converter. im from chicago, dont need emissions or anything. what are the pro's and cons to eliminating the cat? or should i just pick up a high flow cat?
2. puttingon the catback system, does that require welding? is it something i could basicly do in my garage? what does putting the system on really entail?
3. assuming from what you saidabout your 4" catback, would the 3" magnaflow do just fine? i was only iffy about it because its only a split exit which i obviously havenow with the stock exhaust. ill still gain a "decent" amount tho from the new exhaust?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM

I have the magnaflow on my car. I absolutely love it! Has a nice deep mellow sound with no rasp or drone at any rpm. Install is straight forward with no welding required. If you want to eliminate the cat, I would suggest keeping the actual body of the cat and just hollowing it out. This will make installing the cat-back much easier. If you want to keep it, then i would suggest getting a high flow, but this will require some cutting and welding. You will want to keep the flange on the back of the cat and transfer it to the new one. The flange has a hanger on it, which helps support the center of the exhaust. When I did mine, along with transferring the rear flange to the new cat, I also incorporated a 3 bolt flange at the front of the cat to make removing it easier.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM

will hollowing it out do basicly the same thing as eliminating it then?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM

I would think so, yes. You could also, after you gut it, take a piece of straight pipe and put it inside of it, so the exhaust runs straight through it, and have the appearance of it still being there...hehe
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zfbod94
I would think so, yes. You could also, after you gut it, take a piece of straight pipe and put it inside of it, so the exhaust runs straight through it, and have the appearance of it still being there...hehe
Haha sneaky sneaky. How exactly do you gut it? Do I have to cut it out and then just pull it apart and remove all the internals? Then just weld it back on? Or is there no cutting/welding to this?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM

Remove the whole cat/y-pipe assembly. Take a long screwdriver and start stabbing at the honeycomb section until it is all gone. Then re assemble. The only disadvantage to this that I can think of(other than increased emmisions), is you will have a smell of raw fuel all the time.

Back when I had my 85 mustang, I had no cats on it and the smell of fuel was so noxious I could only take the car on short drives before my arms would go numb from my nervous system reacting to the gasses. But as long as the rest of the system is there and running out the back of the car, you should be fine.

Just as a side note, here in Jersey we do have emission testing. And if you are caught on the street without cats, it is $1000 fine per cat missing(which would have been $4000 on my mustang). I know that you said that you dont have emissions there, but Im sure if the feds wanted to be dicks then they could probably hit you for that. So as a disclaimer, we accept no responsibility for what you do to your car. Also you should add a signature with info about your car(year, make, model, engine and any mods) just to make it easier for future posts. So everyones not asking what were working on.

Last edited by Zfbod94; 05-15-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM

well.... not sure if i want my arms going numb or anything lol. in illinois if a car is older than 97 it doesnt need to take emissions testing. my old mans a cop and he said id be fine. so gutting the cat does require cutting/welding? just trying to plan everything out so i know what i gotta do and how long to plan for
Old 05-15-2013, 02:12 PM

Remove the whole cat/y-pipe assembly. Take a long screwdriver and start stabbing at the honeycomb section until it is all gone. Then re assemble.

No cutting or welding
Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM

No cutting or welding
gotcha, just making sure of what im getting myself into. think i might just leave the cat for now. dont feel like messin with it too much. or ill gut it and weld a pipe in there to keep the appearance of a cat. then just toss on the catback and enjoy

Last edited by Shemp 5; 05-16-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Administrator

There is so little loss through the cat (assuming it's in good operating condition) that it's not worth the trouble. Back when Lingenfelter was building their emissions legal 383 LT1's John Lingenfelter claimed there was less than 5HP lost in the cat. I had a custom exhaust built for my stroker, and for street use, it had two 3" CarSound cats on it. They were flanged, so I can drop them out at the track, and substitute 3" Borla XR-1 mufflers at the track when running leaded fuel with the nitrous.

Cars without cats stink....
Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM

fair enough. thank you guys for all the help. ill just leave the cat on. no point in fixing what aint broken right?

Quick Reply: 93 z28 exhaust help